Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-06-2008, 09:21 PM   #101
gone traveling

25 in the past 4 days finally getting over the bronchitis. Woof, almost 3 weeks from the cold to the chest to the bronchi. 7 today was the best I felt since before Xmas. Had been running 60+ miles a week since the summer. Hope to get near 45 miles this week. Thinking of running the Big Sur Marathon in April. We will see. Might run the New Jersey marathon on May 6th if we do not fly out to california.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2008, 10:19 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
Ran in the last 4 weeks the following 65 miles 57 miles 70 miles and last week 64 miles.
I think I ran 1 mile once when I was 19.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:39 AM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets

If you asked me a couple of years ago, I would have said 40-50 miles/week, as well as 6000 miles/year on a bike. I was doing a lot of trail races, also orienteering, and wanted to do some adventure racing.

Unfortunately, I started a new position at my workplace in the recent past and this has devastated my time. Last year, 10-20 miles/week was a good running week and I managed only 1100 bicycle miles in all of 2007.

I've been running since junior high (cross country and track in high school and college). At 48, I still want to get back to the competitive side. This is one reason I want to ER.
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:07 PM   #104
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
41 miles in the last 3 days, including 20 today on the very hilly Blue Ridge Parkway. Had to walk some of the last couple hills but when the uphill goes on relentlessly for 3 miles I don't feel so bad walking the last 1/2 mile of it. I finally feel like I'm going to be ready for the 50K I'm signed up for next month. I'm also running the Bataan Death March Marathon in New Mexico at the end of March. You get to meet many of the still living survivors of the real death march.
Cool, have you done other Ultras? How would you compare 50k to a marathon?
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:12 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
25 in the past 4 days finally getting over the bronchitis. Woof, almost 3 weeks from the cold to the chest to the bronchi. 7 today was the best I felt since before Xmas. Had been running 60+ miles a week since the summer. Hope to get near 45 miles this week. Thinking of running the Big Sur Marathon in April. We will see. Might run the New Jersey marathon on May 6th if we do not fly out to california.
I think that Big Sur fills pretty fast. Make sure you get your entry in.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:24 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Unfortunately, I started a new position at my workplace in the recent past and this has devastated my time. Last year, 10-20 miles/week was a good running week and I managed only 1100 bicycle miles in all of 2007.

I've been running since junior high (cross country and track in high school and college). At 48, I still want to get back to the competitive side. This is one reason I want to ER.
I sympathisize. A stint with a new start up played havoc with my routine for a while.

I have similar motivations for ER.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:30 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
If you asked me a couple of years ago, I would have said 40-50 miles/week, as well as 6000 miles/year on a bike. I was doing a lot of trail races, also orienteering, and wanted to do some adventure racing.
If you do anything other than a sprint level race make sure you have a good navigator and/or practice your night navigation.

I entered my first 24-hour race a couple of years ago and everything went well (finished third in the solo division and 10th overall) except for the night navigation. It's a lot harder finding your way around in the dark!

MB
Old 01-09-2008, 08:08 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb View Post
Cool, have you done other Ultras? How would you compare 50k to a marathon?
I've done 3 marathons, 2 50Ks and a 12 hour overnight run (45 miles on difficult terrain).

The difference I've seen is that marathons tend to be pretty flat road races that you plan to run straight through (except for pauses at water stops), while ultras usually have steeper hills and tougher terrain that will force some walks. I don't find that I have to train much harder for a 50K, but I do make sure I spend a lot of time on trails.

There's a lot less focus on time in ultras. While you might run a tougher marathon course 5-10 minutes slower than a fast one, the difference between my 50Ks was over an hour, and I ran both pretty well. Some of the difference was due to the first one being at least 3 miles too long, which is not uncommon with ultras. Ultras are generally more laid-back than marathons. Some marathoners scoff at the slower times and the amount of walking done in ultras, but if you can get them to try a rocky course they'll learn respect. I like both races but prefer the trails. In my opinion the varied terrain reduces the repetitive stress injuries you get from road running.

You also have to learn to handle food in ultras since you'll be out there longer, whereas you can just get by with water and gatorade-like drinks and maybe a gel shot (gu or Clif Shot) or two in a marathon. Aid stations are a smorgasbord or salts, sweets, carbs, etc. Your body craves what you need. Once you're in shape for a 100 miler, one of the big challenges is whether you can keep down food to keep your calorie intake up. Another is to balance electrolytes. That's important for marathoners too, but when you're out for a much longer time and often alone, it's critical. Didn't Patton say "an army travels on it's stomach"? That's true for an ultrarunner too.

For night running, or probably cycling too, many of us prefer green LED flashlights over white. It gives a lot better depth perception.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:17 AM   #109
Give me a forum ...

I don't run hardly at all these days, but I have run and finished 5 marathons,with a bes time of 2:47.

I have a lot of respect for the longer races, the farthest training run I ever did was 35 miles and I thought I was going to die...............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:35 AM   #110

I run about 15-20 miles a week these days. At 51, the little nagging injuries seems to come more often at mileage over 20 miles a week. So I've chosen to work on overall body conditioning which includes running 4 miles every other day and lifting weights the other days. That way, I'm giving my body a chance to rest and recover. My goal is just to be fit and healthy at this point.

I ran 6 marathons back in my 20's with a best of 2:56...been there, done that...don't feel like putting my body through the pounding that goes with the training for those. I've trained as much as 70 miles per week in the past. Some people can take the pounding of the mega-mileage better than I can though. I wish I could still put in the high mileage but just can't do it anymore. The other thing that I've lost is the desire to run that much. I want running to be something I enjoy and benefit from rather than something that consumes my entire life. Don't get me wrong...I'm not knocking those who are still running the higher mileage...in fact, I might be a little jealous that I can't do it anymore!
DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:09 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

3:41 is my best, sub 3-hours is really impressive. I know if I focused on speed work I could bring my time down, but not to that range. It didn't help to run my first marathon at 39.

DallasGuy, listening to your body and cross training makes perfect sense to me. If I get to the point where all of the miles are more destructive than constructive I'll definitely cut back, and I do have plans to cross train more. Right now I don't feel like I've hit my limit. I want to find out where that is, while keeping it fun. It's much easier to continue any exercise if it's enjoyable.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:17 AM   #112
gone traveling

Just finished a 9 miler First longer run since whatever animal got into my lungs Xmas time. Did 50 miles this week ending today. My 2:57 marathon 27 years ago will never happen again. I do not want to even try. I figure to run Big Sur in 3:55, enjoy the views and then be well feeling good for the rest of my trip out to california.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:48 AM   #113

Ran 1200 miles last year which works out to 23 miles/week. I've run 6 Marathrons so far with the best time of 4:02. Last one I ran was last November. I'm getting old at 48, just trying to keep going.
dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:53 AM   #114
Give me a forum ...

I'm impressed with the mileage many have posted. I'm ER'd but my goal is just 20 mi/week. That should keep one fit. Have been running now for over 30 years. Did X-country in high school but those runs were never more then about 3 miles. Never ran a race over 10 miles and these days I don't look for competition. Just a nice run in the hills while communing with nature . Good luck to all the runners out there in 2008!
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:40 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
I'm impressed with the mileage many have posted. I'm ER'd but my goal is just 20 mi/week. That should keep one fit. Have been running now for over 30 years. Did X-country in high school but those runs were never more then about 3 miles. Never ran a race over 10 miles and these days I don't look for competition. Just a nice run in the hills while communing with nature . Good luck to all the runners out there in 2008!
So,I can be a "born-again" runner in 2008?

Old 01-09-2008, 02:03 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
So,I can be a "born-again" runner in 2008?
Absolutely! I saw your other threads from a year ago. Just throw out those old times. Don't worry about the fast guys (and gals!) who bolt out ahead of you and stay ahead. There's always going to be someone faster, and someone slower than you. If you want to compete, compete in your age group or measure your improvement against others running your times. Or just enjoy the freedom for running for what it is, and enjoy having better health.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:22 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Absolutely! I saw your other threads from a year ago. Just throw out those old times. Don't worry about the fast guys (and gals!) who bolt out ahead of you and stay ahead. There's always going to be someone faster, and someone slower than you. If you want to compete, compete in your age group or measure your improvement against others running your times. Or just enjoy the freedom for running for what it is, and enjoy having better health.
Good advice...............

Old 01-10-2008, 04:53 AM   #118
Recycles dryer sheets

newguy thats alot of walking!
I'm planning on adding more mileage to my already 30 miles/week once I retire end of June
retiringat50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:50 AM   #119
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been running about 24 miles a week for the past several months going to start training for a short triathlon over the next 6 months. I'm pretty slow (actually very slow) my goal is to come up somewhere in the middle of the pack. Based on the splits I have seen I feel pretty good I will be able to do that. Any tips for a first time tri?
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:03 AM   #120
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz View Post
I have been running about 24 miles a week for the past several months going to start training for a short triathlon over the next 6 months. I'm pretty slow (actually very slow) my goal is to come up somewhere in the middle of the pack. Based on the splits I have seen I feel pretty good I will be able to do that. Any tips for a first time tri?

Swim and bike as much as you can. A friend did the ironman at Lake Placid last year and during his training he became downright scared. He thought he would never be able to finish. Was riding his bike 20 miles to work then 20 miles home, swimming 3 times a week at the Y at 5am Running as much as he could with us during track practices. It was time consuming. But he finished in a respectable time and said he never would do it again.