Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-19-2008, 04:23 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We're all very different physically and also age wise so that 10% per week is just a rough idea. For recent weeks my mileage has been 18, 21, 16, 22, 22, 26. That last one was probably because of this thread . All my runs are in the hills. A decent pace as not many runners pass me but if they do that's OK. I generally am on the lookout for wildlife or admiring the views or watching for mud holes as the runs are in a state park. Most of my runs are 4mi or 5mi.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2008, 04:56 AM   #142
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
Ronstar, congratulations! The general rule I've read is to increase your mileage at no more then 10% per week. That's assuming you intend this as a long term activity . You might consider staying at your current mileage or even dropping back a little for several weeks before ramping up further.

When I stop running, because of say a vacation, I'll give myself at least that same amount of time to get back up to my goal area of around 20 mi/week. This depends a lot on your age too. Just pay attention to any symptoms. Occasionaly I'll go well above the 10% rule but never for several weeks in a row.
Thanks - I was thinking of increasing from 40 to 45 minutes - thats about 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpi View Post
Congratulations! As other's have mentioned don't try to do too much too fast. A few years ago my brother also restarted running after a 25 year break. He's almost back to where he was. It helps a lot if you didn't put on too many pounds during your break.
Thanks - I added about 25 pounds during the break, but lost 20 back in the last year. I'm staying on the treadmill for a few months to build up resistance to the impact.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:15 AM   #143
Recycles dryer sheets

mb,

Thanks for the tips on the triathlon ! I just received the training program from our health club.. I am very excited !!! Even though this is just a sprint tri I have never been in a race like this... I was a competitive swimmer so I did compete a bit but actually was never in an "official" long distance running race or bike race ... It's really fun going from "working out" each day to having a purpose and actually looking at this as a training exercise... I am not as strong as I was when I was in HS and college but I feel really good.
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:04 AM   #144
gone traveling

Just finished a 12 mile run, the first long run since that lung virus Cold, who knows what it was since the Holidays. Yea.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:41 AM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We're all very different physically and also age wise so that 10% per week is just a rough idea. For recent weeks my mileage has been 18, 21, 16, 22, 22, 26. That last one was probably because of this thread . All my runs are in the hills. A decent pace as not many runners pass me but if they do that's OK. I generally am on the lookout for wildlife or admiring the views or watching for mud holes as the runs are in a state park. Most of my runs are 4mi or 5mi.
All hills will get you fit quick! Are they trails or only asphalt and concrete? At least when I ran a lot, I couldn't handle more than 2-3 hilly runs a week, too much strain on my quads........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:40 AM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Ten years ago we moved from a flat valley environment where I ran to a hilly area. There is a wonderful state park right behind our house and many miles of dirt trails to run on. Lots of trees and birds and deer and wild turkey and little creatures to watch for. So far no physical problems due to hills but I've always ramped up slowly. As I age I find it takes longer to ramp up and my legs let me know if I should stop for awhile.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:50 AM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ten years ago we moved from a flat valley environment where I ran to a hilly area. There is a wonderful state park right behind our house and many miles of dirt trails to run on. Lots of trees and birds and deer and wild turkey and little creatures to watch for. So far no physical problems due to hills but I've always ramped up slowly. As I age I find it takes longer to ramp up and my legs let me know if I should stop for awhile.
Running on dirt hasn't hurt the Kenyans yet!!

You are a lucky man, I moved to an urban area from a hilly area, and regret the lack of scenery..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:56 PM   #148
gone traveling

Ah 21 miles in the last two days, feelin real good.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:39 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Today there was a story in our local paper about a runner and a cyclist who both had cardiac events just two weeks ago in the same park that I run in. I might have even crossed the cyclist's trail. The runner survived but the cyclist did not. The runner was a 38 year old high school cross country coach and the cyclist was 58. The runner had just run a 4mi relatively flat course. The cyclist went up a challenging long steep grade. Here is the story: A Heartbeat Away | Santa Rosa Press Democrat // News for California's North Bay and Redwood Empire

This is another good reason to take it easy as you build up your endurance.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:14 PM   #150
gone traveling

Quote:
Today there was a story in our local paper about a runner and a cyclist who both had cardiac events just two weeks ago in the same park that I run in. I might have even crossed the cyclist's trail. The runner survived but the cyclist did not. The runner was a 38 year old high school cross country coach and the cyclist was 58. The runner had just run a 4mi relatively flat course. The cyclist went up a challenging long steep grade. Here is the story: A Heartbeat Away | Santa Rosa Press Democrat // News for California's North Bay and Redwood Empire

This is another good reason to take it easy as you build up your endurance.

Well a nuclear stress test is what they article says, especially for the 58 YO bike rider who was having symptoms of shortness of breath just bringing in firewood a week earlier. You must know your body and really it is about men who do not go and see a doctor when there are symptoms. Had the cardiac cath 6 years ago have had 3 nuke stress tests and an echo stress test this past year. Watch the diet now and stay on the blood pressure meds. Keep running and at 51 feelin great 31 miles run in the past 3 days.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:50 AM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Newguy, sounds like you were well checked out. I had some heart stress tests done about 25 years ago. No symptoms now. Any idea how much a nuclear stress test costs nowadays (assuming a high deductable insurance plan)?
Old 01-27-2008, 07:11 PM   #152
gone traveling

Quote:
Newguy, sounds like you were well checked out. I had some heart stress tests done about 25 years ago. No symptoms now. Any idea how much a nuclear stress test costs nowadays (assuming a high deductable insurance plan)?
It looks like the nuclear stress test cost was about 4,000 dollars. Now that was with a very good insurance policy. I believe if you have a high deductible you actually could pay substantially less if you negotiate the price ahead of time. My echo stress test was closer to 2500.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:06 AM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Just read a report about exercise and it's link to physical effects in our bodies. Perhaps an aging link too.

Here is some more motivation to keep up the exercise program: Nation & World | Exercise linked to "younger" DNA | Seattle Times Newspaper
Old 01-31-2008, 12:40 PM   #154
Dryer sheet wannabe

Send a message via AIM to tpcooper Send a message via Yahoo to tpcooper
Wow. I can't believe I have been reading these boards for about 6 months, and have just discovered this thread. I run about 60 miles a week, but I am only 24 so nothing that impressive.

I try to be competitive and am running a 5k this weekend that I have created a lot of expectations for. Going to be very dissapointed if it doesn't go well. 5k is my weakest distance. I can go all out for a mile, I can go all out for 26.2 miles, I can go all out for 10k and I can go all out for 13.1 - but ask me to go all out for 5k and I chicken out from about mile 1.75-2.5 before finishing strong...

What excites me so much about this thread on this board (as opposed to the running boards I post on) is how much my interest in FIRE is because of running.
I'm dreaming of the day I wake up naturally, run in the beautiful Percy Warner and Edwin Warner Parks in Nashville which I intend to live adjacent to, head over to my favorite breakfast joint, and then relax until it's time to go help with one of the local high school teams or something. Of course I might also work part time at the running store I have worked at for years, and still work at even though I also have a "real job" now.
tpcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:55 PM   #155
gone traveling

tpCOOPER! Yes welcome to my thread. I am 51 been running 40 years. Still putting in upwards of 70 miles a week.

I am erd from a 30 year career as a physical education teacher and track coach. I just told the HS that I coach here down in the raleigh area that I will NOT be coaching the spring track team this year. I took 3 days a week an elementary physical education part time job that ends a bit after 5pm so practice two days of the week would be difficult. Plus I am going to be running a marathon in mid june so training in the afternoons is going to be happening.

But welcome again. Keep the thread alive. I sure try.

By the way I have this 3rd grade autistic student that is just a hoot on Fridays in my last class of the day, he is so small and weighs so little I am afraid I might break him when I spot him doing certain activities, his name is COOPER!
Old 02-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #156
gone traveling

Today, Ran 8 miles in the morning then sat outside in the sun for a few hours drank a 750 ml bottle of TraderJoes Vintage Ale, a belgian style beer almost 10% alcohol then ran 5 miles. The 5 was fun being a wee bit buzzed. 13 miles today.

I like this retired stuff.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:24 PM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Tapering for the Holiday Lake 50K in central Virginia a week from Saturday. One weather service shows a chance of snow Friday night before. That could be messy.

I hope I'm ready. I've done 3 20+ mile runs in the last 2 months, but since the last one 3 weeks ago my legs have felt heavy. Hoping the taper will bring me in fresh. I don't care too much about my finish time, this is the first in a series of races this year to increase my mileage, with the goal being a 100 miler next year. This is the year to find out how I handle more miles, and to decide whether it's doing more harm than good, in which case I'd bag it and keep to manageable distances.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:08 PM   #158
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpcooper View Post
but ask me to go all out for 5k and I chicken out from about mile 1.75-2.5 before finishing strong...
The problem with 5k, at least for me, is that I'm going into oxygen debt and starting to hurt after only about a 1/2 mile and at the point I still have 5/6 six of the race left.

But a marathon is "fun" for the first 20 miles or so. It's only about the last 6 miles or so that it becomes a bit uncomfortable.

MB
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:13 PM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpcooper View Post
What excites me so much about this thread on this board (as opposed to the running boards I post on) is how much my interest in FIRE is because of running.
I'm dreaming of the day I wake up naturally, run in the beautiful Percy Warner and Edwin Warner Parks in Nashville which I intend to live adjacent to, head over to my favorite breakfast joint, and then relax until it's time to go help with one of the local high school teams or something. Of course I might also work part time at the running store I have worked at for years, and still work at even though I also have a "real job" now.
Yes, developing a more intimate relationship with my running shoes, mountain bike, roller blades, etc is a big incentive for me

Just might spend more time with the wife and kids too

MB
Old 02-07-2008, 11:18 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Tapering for the Holiday Lake 50K in central Virginia a week from Saturday. One weather service shows a chance of snow Friday night before. That could be messy.

I hope I'm ready. I've done 3 20+ mile runs in the last 2 months, but since the last one 3 weeks ago my legs have felt heavy. Hoping the taper will bring me in fresh. I don't care too much about my finish time, this is the first in a series of races this year to increase my mileage, with the goal being a 100 miler next year. This is the year to find out how I handle more miles, and to decide whether it's doing more harm than good, in which case I'd bag it and keep to manageable distances.
Let us know how it goes. I remember you mentioning this before but don't recall if it is your first ultra?

MB