Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-07-2008, 11:22 PM   #161
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
This is the year to find out how I handle more miles, and to decide whether it's doing more harm than good, in which case I'd bag it and keep to manageable distances.
Well, I read somewhere that if you run more that 18-22 miles a week then you are doing for something other than your health. Not sure I agree with it but that was the opinon of at least one "expert."

MB
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2008, 04:21 AM   #162
gone traveling

Quote:
Tapering for the Holiday Lake 50K in central Virginia a week from Saturday. One weather service shows a chance of snow Friday night before. That could be messy.

I hope I'm ready. I've done 3 20+ mile runs in the last 2 months, but since the last one 3 weeks ago my legs have felt heavy. Hoping the taper will bring me in fresh. I don't care too much about my finish time, this is the first in a series of races this year to increase my mileage, with the goal being a 100 miler next year. This is the year to find out how I handle more miles, and to decide whether it's doing more harm than good, in which case I'd bag it and keep to manageable distances.

Too cold to be out in the elements that long this time of the year. I am looking at a 24 hour race in september here in NC and a marathon in mid june here.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:10 AM   #163
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This will be my 4th ultra, plus 3 marathons. My longest so far is 45 miles on a 12 hour night race.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #164
gone traveling

Ran 16 today at 3:30 min marathon pace. Felt real good.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:10 PM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb View Post
Well, I read somewhere that if you run more that 18-22 miles a week then you are doing for something other than your health. Not sure I agree with it but that was the opinon of at least one "expert."
That's about all I think I need but then I'm pushing 60. Maybe RunningBum and Newguy are kids ? I'm impressed with their mileage though.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:01 PM   #166
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
That's about all I think I need but then I'm pushing 60. Maybe RunningBum and Newguy are kids ? I'm impressed with their mileage though.
Going to be 52 in april, been running since 1966!
Old 02-10-2008, 05:05 AM   #167
Give me a forum ...

I'm 46. I ran 15-20 miles / week for years and found it wasn't enough to keep my weight down. Adding other things would've done as well, but running is what I like best, and it was always my goal to do a marathon. Then I found trail running and fell in with people 10-15 years older who were running much, much more.

One of my retirement goals is to add more crosstraining.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:55 AM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
Ran 16 today at 3:30 min marathon pace. Felt real good.
Very impressive. I've been a walker but lately I have started mixing in some jogging. Felt like a needed to get the old heart pumping a little faster. Doubt if I will ever convert entirely to running. But I walk about 3 miles a day so if half comes from jogging, I will be happy. Plus playing golf 4-5 times a week(riding ) should give me plenty of exercise.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:11 AM   #169
gone traveling

Running Bum

How did you do at the holiday 50K last weekend?

Have read some of the race reports loks like the weather was great.

Put in 70 miles last week, ran a 12 miler today. Slow but felt good.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:13 AM   #170
Give me a forum ...

I finished my 50K last weekend, but it wasn't easy. Pain in an ankle, hips, knees throughout, and I had a miserable stretch in the middle. But at 21 miles I was able to put it aside and finish strong. 6:25 finish, much slower than I hoped for, though the course was about 2.5 miles over 50K. Mostly I'm happy that I was able to finish on a day where I was really struggling.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:18 AM   #171
Give me a forum ...

I ran to the fridge and got a beer. Does that count?
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:37 AM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
I ran to the fridge and got a beer. Does that count?
Yes it counts ... for calorie intake . Here is a link to beer calories: Beer Calories, Alcohol, and Carbohydrate Content.

And here's a link to how much walking you might want to do to zero out those calories: Walking Calories Calculator by Pace and Distance
Old 02-24-2008, 11:53 AM   #173

Quote:
We have a 65 year old in our running club that puts in 90 mile weeks in the build up for a marathon. I think that he normally runs about 50 per week. I think that you need a special combination of physical and mental attributes and years of training to be able to do that without constant injuries at that age or at any age for that matter.

I was out for about 18 months because of fascitiis and a couple of other injuries. Just worked up to running jogging 5 days and about 25 miles per week over the last two months so I decided to go to the saturday running club run/race yesterday for the first time in a very long time. I ran a minute/mile slower pace than two years ago on the same course but was happy to just be out there doing it again

MB
Old 02-24-2008, 12:13 PM   #174
gone traveling

Quote:
I finished my 50K last weekend, but it wasn't easy. Pain in an ankle, hips, knees throughout, and I had a miserable stretch in the middle. But at 21 miles I was able to put it aside and finish strong. 6:25 finish, much slower than I hoped for, though the course was about 2.5 miles over 50K. Mostly I'm happy that I was able to finish on a day where I was really struggling.

Fantastic Bum!!

That is a fine time and as the Doc said don't worry about your time. You ran 34+ miles .
Old 02-24-2008, 12:30 PM   #175

Quote:
Good job!
Old 02-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was out for about 18 months because of fascitiis and a couple of other injuries. Just worked up to running jogging 5 days and about 25 miles per week over the last two months so I decided to go to the saturday running club run/race yesterday for the first time in a very long time. I ran a minute/mile slower pace than two years ago on the same course but was happy to just be out there doing it again
MB, great comeback story. Keep up the good work!
Old 02-24-2008, 01:17 PM   #177
gone traveling

Quote:
We have a 65 year old in our running club that puts in 90 mile weeks in the build up for a marathon. I think that he normally runs about 50 per week. I think that you need a special combination of physical and mental attributes and years of training to be able to do that without constant injuries at that age or at any age for that matter.

MB
MB

Just keep running the older we get the more we must run. Pain, Advil Liqua Gels and then some type of drink, red wine beer scotch. Your choice.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #178

I have a good excuse - after knee surgery in 1987 I was told "Do not run". So I took his advice. Walk, yes. Swim, yes. Bicycle, yes. No run.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:12 PM   #179

Quote:
MB, great comeback story. Keep up the good work!
Thanks!

I also do a lot of other things (bike, swim, roller blade) and try to substitute them when I can't run but running is definitely what I miss the most. I love running!

Quote:
MB

Just keep running the older we get the more we must run. Pain, Advil Liqua Gels and then some type of drink, red wine beer scotch. Your choice.
Newguy, the plan is to keep running as long as I'm around. If I go while on a trail run in the Santa Cruz mountains I'll go happy.

I have noticed that my Vitamin I intake has gone up over the years? Maybe I need to explore other options

MB
Old 02-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #180
gone traveling

Quote:
Thanks!

I also do a lot of other things (bike, swim, roller blade) and try to substitute them when I can't run but running is definitely what I miss the most. I love running!

I have noticed that my Vitamin I intake has gone up over the years? Maybe I need to explore other options

MB
Vitamin I is a safe drug, Costco sells them in bottles of 750 for 7.99!

the Blue Liqual gel Advils name brand are 17.99 for 240 pills. Funny They seem to work faster.