Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-26-2010, 10:44 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I have to agree with WhoDaresWins, I don't expect to fall apart like my mother has. My mother was old at 30, she has an old and negative mindset and that contributes to her being in her 60s and appearing to be in her 80s.

I'm late 40s and really I have no aches and pains, which I do find amazing.

I think the important thing is to keep a positive attitude and to keep active. I don't plan on taking up hang gliding or snow boarding, but I have never found an activity I couldn't do because of my age.
I absolutely agree with this. I am about to turn 50 and feel as good as I did in my 30's. And whenever I do feel some minor aches and pains, I try to just ignore them and really don't let them impact what I want to do.

Whenever I have to fill out a health history form at a doctor's office, the doctors & nurses generally are surprised that I don't take any medications. I'm more surprised at their reactions - I didn't think they'd expect folks in their 40s to be taking medications.

I'm sure there are many factors to feeling young, but agree that a positive attitude is one of them.
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Death doesn't frighten me, but dying and decaying do.
To be more precise, that´s what really worries me: the process.: pain, dependency. disablility, indignity.....
Old 01-26-2010, 11:02 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I don't believe that heredity is destiny. There are too many variables involved in the mix.
That is so true. Even those who have already been diagnosed with an hereditary condition may find that its rate of progression is not necessarily the same.

Quote:
And many of us(myself included) most likely won't have a lot(or any) family help as we age. I guess my son could manage my bill paying online for me if needed. And if I stay in this area, hopefully one or two of my friends could possibly be in better shape than I if I needed some help occasionally(like a lift to the doctors). Otherwise, I would hire someone for some help in the home. There are many agencies springing up with licensed and bonded workers. I might also consider a move to an apartment or an assisted living if needed.
With bill paying via automatic bank deductions being so easy these days, I don't really pay my bills even now. I just check online to make sure that no unauthorized deductions were made, but this has not been a big problem. If/when I become extremely old, I will probably need to give someone power of attorney but that person doesn't need to be a relative.

I will probably hire a housekeeper and a gardener eventually; I already have someone to mow my lawn. I plan to gradually stop driving over the next 10-15 years. I am sure that Frank would take me anywhere I need to go, as long as he is alive and driving, but I will be able to manage without that if/when that becomes necessary. If I need a ride to the doctor's, I can call a cab. I hope/plan to live within walking distance of the grocery store, but could call a cab for that too if necessary. With cell phones, it would be easy to get around by cab and the cost is not so much when you consider the cost of car insurance and car payments.

Eventually I will probably sell my home and move into a continual care facility, so that I don't forget to take my medications and to have someone check on me now and then, so that I am not found wandering and lost, or hurt and unable to call for help, as old people sometimes are. No big deal. These facilities are not like the old time nursing homes any more, and can be an enjoyable place for the elderly to live. Besides, if you pick your facility well, you will have great meals available with lots of healthy fresh foods, and when a person is old that sure beats lugging them home from the grocery store and cooking. In my mother's facility she had a stove and refrigerator in her apartment, but after a few weeks she decided she liked the meals in the common dining hall better. Her facility had a beautiful lush garden, with paths and benches along the paths, shallow ponds, and bird feeders, so although this area was not huge she wasn't isolated from the beauty and tranquility of nature.

Adjusting to life as a very elderly person will not be easy or simple, and as we age some of us become more rigid about what we want and prefer things the way they are. But that adjustment can be accomplished and life as a very elderly person can be a joy. The sooner we start thinking about the changes we may have to make, the longer we have to adjust.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:07 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
To be more precise, that´s what really worries me: the process.: pain, dependency. disablility, indignity.....
I never really worry about these things. I do think of the fact that (being 61) I have already lived most of my life and that my days are not unlimited any more, not that they ever were. I don't like knowing that I will die, and would love it if immortality were an option but it isn't. My mortality is always in the back of my mind, though I do not sit around getting depressed by it. This knowledge makes life much more precious and I want to enjoy every single day from here on out. I wish I could have retired earlier to get more out of that part of my life, but oh well.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I am just working hard to enjoy today, what ever my age. I don't know if I could last if my kids pasted before me though. I do use the goal of 100 to try to adjust my habits, eating better, working out etc... I feel great and that's really all I have control over.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #46

I started a step aerobic class at the community centre this month. A couple of the ladies in the class are 80+ and they are totally amazing. They do the step class twice a week, and there is also a dance aerobic class that they do twice a week. This women are obviously mentally with it, as they are able to remember the routines better than myself, and they do all parts of the routine with ease. I think many are mistaken in thinking that being 80 is the kiss of death.

What each of us has to remember is to a large extent we have some control over what our 80 will be. We know what we should and shouldn't eat, we know how much we need to exercise, we know the effects of negative thoughts, that a positive outlook improves our emotional attachments. We know we shouldn't smoke, nor should we be knocking back a couple of six packs a day. There are some things that we can not control healthwise, but if we do make an effort on those things we can control I believe I can at least expect to have a pretty decent 80 if I should make it that far.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Secret to long healthy life? Choose your parents well.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
To be more precise, that´s what really worries me: the process.: pain, dependency, disablility, indignity.....
It would be easier to not think about aging if we were detached from our parents. But as we live nearby, are involved in their care, and have spent so much time in hospitals, convalescent homes, nursing homes, it is not easy to put that out of mind. Medical profession people can turn their mind off when they walk out of their workplace, but we do not have that ability.

My wife is in the hospital right now. My father-in-law fell again in his nursing home, and the plate that was put in just last month to mend his cracked arm broke off. His bones are so weak, I understand that they will not be able to put in another one, but that existing loose plate has to come out. What happens next, we do not know.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:29 PM   #49

I don't spend much time thinking of death; I had a paralizing fear of death as a young child but no more. I do, however, occasionally worry about dying while my children are still young. I would hate for them to grow up without my love and guiding hands.
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It would be easier to not think about aging if we were detached from our parents. But as we live nearby, are involved in their care, and have spent so much time in hospitals, convalescent homes, nursing homes, it is not easy to put that out of mind.
DH and I have lived this reality. We don't regret the experience. Not at all. It's been a big part of our lives for a very long time and taught us so much.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:51 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

It's something we feel we have to do. But it's just sad to see that modern medicine can only do so much...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #52

“I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car."

Will Shriner
Old 01-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #53
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I will be 60 this year. The thought of making it to 80 horrifies me. I watched Mother fall apart and she had someone to take care of her.
To add data:
I am deteriorating pretty much on Mother's schedule.
It's annoying and sometimes causes depressive episodes.

Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.” Isaac Asimov
Old 01-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
To add data:
I am deteriorating pretty much on Mother's schedule.
It's annoying and sometimes causes depressive episodes.

Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.” Isaac Asimov
The spring squirrels will be out soon Khan.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Yep...I think many of us have the blahs. Even me... But as CFB once told me, "this too shall pass."
Old 01-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #56

Hang in there Khan, spring will be here soon. Think of the Farmer's Markets and all those good things to eat, come summer.
happy2bretired is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:29 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Check out Virgil:

Centarian, Virgil Coffman & Transformers Bumblebee Style Camaro - 102 Year Old Man, Special Edition Camaro, 100+ - AARP
Old 01-28-2010, 09:59 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
The spring squirrels will be out soon Khan.
#<&* v Spring my butt! Those stinking squirrels are boldly raiding my bird feeder on the front porch even tearing off pieces of wood to get at the food.

Time to go BB/pellet pistol shopping. The buzzards are too fast for my tubby dogs.

heh heh heh - the men in the family tree tend to high BP(thus the related diseases) and have a history of preceding the women by 10-15 years.

Rats - guess I'll party now. Doing a brisket Sunday under the patio awning - hope Mondays snow storm doesn't come early.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:43 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
#<&* v Spring my butt! Those stinking squirrels are boldly raiding my bird feeder on the front porch even tearing off pieces of wood to get at the food.

Time to go BB/pellet pistol shopping. The buzzards are too fast for my tubby dogs......
Them dang bushy-tailed tree-rats were smarter than my old dog! They'd sit on tree branch just out of the mutt's reach, and they'd chatter away just to p*ss the old dog off!

But as I gradually approach my 100th birthday (only a tad over 47 years to go), I've gradually learned to let the squirrels THINK that they're out smarting me! I've changed over all of the birdfeeders to steel, bushy-tailed tree-rat-proof models....those lil buggers climb on 'em and try to gnaw their way in, but they barely even scratch the paint with their teeth.

And now, I'm even feeding the squirrels right close to their favorite tree! I give 'em their own pile of nuts, corn, and seeds! Little do they realize that all I'm doin' it for is to fatten 'em up so they won't be so dang scrawny when the neighbor and I get ready to pan-fry 'em! That and some nice sausage gravy and biscuits, and a good cup of coffee, and ya have a great breakfast!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:51 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Note to self: never mention outdoor creatures, such as squirrels, I find cute or appealing again.