Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Awww, bbbamI. You know we love ya

For some unknown reason, this sprang into my mind.

W2R, bbbamI and Purron....the Powerpuff Girls!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2010, 12:40 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

GO GIRLS!

I thought Sailor Moon was the only cartoon/anime with super girls. I stand corrected.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:24 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

My wife and I wouldn't mind living as long as we can if we are able to retain some limited mobility, to take care of our hygiene even if it means using a walker.

But not so much, if it means to linger a few more months in a bed-ridden state, not being able to reach for a switch to call for help to get a diaper changed, or having done so but laying there helpless for hours as all the orderlies are busy. I would rather have my Dr. Kevorkian. I want to go out with some dignity.

My friend's mother died recently in her 90s. She had been living by herself in an assisted living facility, with her offsprings living nearby to check on her daily. But as her health inevitably fell into decline, she slowly lost the joy of life. After falling, breaking her hip, and not recovering well from the surgery, she finally wanted to die. Bed-ridden, she told my friend that she would be glad "when it was over". Thank God, she did not have to linger long, and only lasted a few weeks in that state.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:01 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So long as I retain most of my mental faculties and some modicum of mobility, and yeah, being able to shower off daily and make it to the bathroom, I am not averse to living as long as I can. I wouldn't want to live however, if I outlived all my friends and family. I don't think I could bear it if I outlived my only child for some reason.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:31 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I agree with the "quality over quantity" deal! I want to live as long as absolutely possible......as long as I can enjoy life, and not be in considerable pain or agony, and still have my whits about me. I have several relatives who have made it into their 90's, and most have made into their 80's.
Me too, though my standard for pain is less than 'considerable'.

Damn. As soon as I wrote that I remembered how our cat went. He was having trouble walking, was hiding out in drawers and such, and all too frequently would let out a heart wrenching wail. But as soon as someone would stroke him he'd turn on the purr motor. I thought Hobie knew he was done for but he was going to enjoy what he could for as long as he could. Sometimes I think that's my philosophy, sometimes I think I want to go soon after the quality of life begins deteriorating rapidly. I figure this is one of those issues where the answer will become apparent when necessary.
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
Me too, though my standard for pain is less than 'considerable'......
Fortunately for me, I have a very high tolerance for pain! I had a severe back injury back in the early 90's, and had excruciating pain for months, that did not respond to pain-killers, muscle relaxants, cortisone shots, or anything else. After a few months months the level of pain lowered from excruciating down to nearly intolerable. After about 18 months the pain became simply an annoyance.

So, as long as I'm not in excruciating pain (and I still have my whits about me), I'd like to stick around here on the topside of the turf for as long as possible! Like I tell folks about life...."the good die young, but ornery critters like me live forever....so I'm shootin' for 120 just to p*ss people off!"
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:10 AM   #27

I know this is off-thread, but I don´t dare to/am afraid to start one with a title related to what I am going to say:
Does anyone of you think frequently about death/dyiing?
To tell the truth, I wouldn´t want to be the only one that has these thoughts, mostly at night, though for a just a few minutes....
Old 01-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
... and some modicum of mobility, and yeah, being able to shower off daily and make it to the bathroom...
Heck, there were plenty of times when I couldn't do any of those things while I was working. I suspect I'll figure out how to make the appropriate retiree adjustments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
I figure this is one of those issues where the answer will become apparent when necessary.
Yep. Usually pain-related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
I know this is off-thread, but I don´t dare to/am afraid to start one with a title related to what I am going to say:
To tell the truth, I wouldn´t want to be the only one that has these thoughts, mostly at night, though for a just a few minutes....
I usually have those thoughts right after thinking "Damn, I knew I shouldn't have tried to do that..."

I can't remember a specific death/dying thread, but it usually comes up all the time in the Healthcare topics.
Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community - Search Results

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:29 AM   #29

Truthfully Vincente I don't spend a moment of my day or night thinking about death or dying. Given my family history if I make it out of my 60s I will be doing well. If I follow in my father's footsteps I only have 10 years to go. But you know what, I have decided that is irrelevant to my life now, I want to enjoy whatever time I have, whether it be 4 days or 40 years, the truth is I have no control over when the grim reaper is going to tap me on the shoulder.

On the other hand we have a friend in his early 40s who is obsessive about being ill and dying young. That said his grandmother is 100+, both is parents are in their 70s and have just beaten a bout of cancer so there is nothing to say he won't live until 100.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:50 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Hmmmmm...living to age 100. A good thought for a rainy day.
The concept is causing me to think, a bad habit of mine if I listen to my friends' comments.
I'm only 1 year past the halfway point right now, so is my glass half full or empty? A favorite retort to older friends is "Old is 99" when they bemoan their own age. That always gets a smile.
My Mom's side of the family does not have longevity in the cards, so my chances of reaching 100 are pretty slim. The paternal medical history is an unknown due to a long ago parental divorce. Therefore, my doctor screens me for almost everything, so I have consistent preventative health care on my side.
I always use 85 as my estimated age for when the daisies get pushed.
I would say I would not want to reach 100 because the odds are pretty strong that my quality of life would be poor.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
I don't frequently dwell on death or dying. It has been on my mind more lately since my husband's mom just passed away, but generally I don't think of death often.

My family and I were by my mother in law's bedside the few days before she passed away. Before she slipped into the sleep she never woke from, she smiled and blew us a kiss. She was too weak to talk but made this gesture to let us know she loved us and wished us well. I believe she saw our worried faces and wanted to reassure us. She was that kind of lady - always wanting people to be happy and enjoy life.

Even though she was very elderly and ill, she never focused on death. She lived each moment to the fullest - even at the very end. She was a wise and wonderful woman.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:48 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

She was and still is an inspiration Purron. Thank you for sharing her grace with us.....
Old 01-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Have you noticed that many people who live to be 100 or 90+ are people who have a positive attitude about everything and generally love life? (I guess some people with great attitudes die young and some old grumpy farts get to be very old, but in general, that's what it seems to me.)

I love hearing stories of these curious old men/women who enjoy life!
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:25 PM   #34
Administrator

Vicente,

I don't think much about death or dying, I believe I am young at 55 and am concerned more about staying fit and healthy to fully enjoy my retirement. If all the exercise and outdoor "playing" I do doesn't lead to a long life then so be it, I just want to focus on the here and now and enjoy life while I can.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #35
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I will be 60 this year. The thought of making it to 80 horrifies me. I watched Mother fall apart and she had someone to take care of her.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:48 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I will be 60 this year. The thought of making it to 80 horrifies me. I watched Mother fall apart and she had someone to take care of her.
I don't believe that heredity is destiny. There are too many variables involved in the mix. And many of us(myself included) most likely won't have a lot(or any) family help as we age. I guess my son could manage my bill paying online for me if needed. And if I stay in this area, hopefully one or two of my friends could possibly be in better shape than I if I needed some help occasionally(like a lift to the doctors). Otherwise, I would hire someone for some help in the home. There are many agencies springing up with licensed and bonded workers. I might also consider a move to an apartment or an assisted living if needed. As I recall, you are an active lady(gardening and home maintenance?) and have lost weight and reduced stress in your life. You are intelligent, too, so I think you will figure things out as you go along and land on your feet as usual. I think our access to medical care is better than in previous generations and various drug mixes seem to be able to keep us going along with a healthier lifestyle than previous generations.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:30 AM   #37

I have to agree with WhoDaresWins, I don't expect to fall apart like my mother has. My mother was old at 30, she has an old and negative mindset and that contributes to her being in her 60s and appearing to be in her 80s.

I'm late 40s and really I have no aches and pains, which I do find amazing.

I think the important thing is to keep a positive attitude and to keep active. I don't plan on taking up hang gliding or snow boarding, but I have never found an activity I couldn't do because of my age.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:37 AM   #38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I have to agree with WhoDaresWins, I don't expect to fall apart like my mother has. My mother was old at 30, she has an old and negative mindset and that contributes to her being in her 60s and appearing to be in her 80s.

I'm late 40s and really I have no aches and pains, which I do find amazing.

I think the important thing is to keep a positive attitude and to keep active. I don't plan on taking up hang gliding or snow boarding, but I have never found an activity I couldn't do because of my age.
I second those comments. Everyone says I am the image of my mother - I have the same looks and bone structure as her, but she was crippled and riddled with arthritis from her mid forties until she died aged 62. I'm so much better at my age than she was at hers that I'm confident that I can beat the genetic odds.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Death doesn't frighten me, but dying and decaying do.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
... I'm confident that I can beat the genetic odds.
I think that genetics loads the gun and environment (our behavior as well as our living conditions) pulls the trigger.

As for overcoming our genetic odds, I favor Henry Ford: "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

I also think that there are few things worse than taking a month off from working out and then resuming the "routine"...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote