Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=justplainbll;1120284]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
Most doctors accept patients by appointment. They act like they're doing you a favor to fit you into their busy schedules and for medicare patients, if they have not opted out, usually limit their time spent per patient to around 5 minutes.
I won't notice any difference then when I become a medicare patient, that's all I have ever got with my primary doc.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2011, 09:00 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Absolutely shocking news.
Funny....

Old 10-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
That's when the annual SS benefit statement is sent out, along with any increases due to COLA adjustments.

Often this information is not available till late in the year, and the proper program changes are made.

Until you receive this statement of benefits, any "guesstimate" is just that.

Yes, been there - done that.
There has been no COLA for the past two years.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #44
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbll View Post
There has been no COLA for the past two years.
The only folks receiving the annual statement of benefits are those that claimed SS in the last two years.

Those that were already on SS did not receive a statement, since the SS benefit amout remained the same, including the Part B Medicare charge.

With the expected COLA increase (regardless of what it is), everybody on SS will receive a statement of notification of benefits (along with the increase of Medicare) just prior to January 1, since the first new/adjusted payment will be on January 11th.

Don't confuse this form with your annual SS statement (which is no longer sent, anyway). It has a diffferent use.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:57 AM   #45
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
You may not be so pleased if you find out that some of your doctors will not accept medicare patients.
Now that's a fact
Old 10-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #46
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
That's when the annual SS benefit statement is sent out, along with any increases due to COLA adjustments.

Often this information is not available till late in the year, and the proper program changes are made.

Until you receive this statement of benefits, any "guesstimate" is just that.

Yes, been there - done that.
What COLA adjustments? I've not seen one in several years!
Old 10-16-2011, 11:16 AM   #47
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN CARRIGAN View Post
What COLA adjustments? I've not seen one in several years!
The last two (not several).

There will be one effective Jan 1, 2012 (this has been under discussion on this board, with a guesstimate of around +3.5%).

However, if you have being paying for Medicare Part B over the last two years (without the COLA), be prepared to have an increase in that deduction from your SS.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:40 AM   #48
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for the update. Great to hear some good news from social security.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #49

Quote:
However, if you have being paying for Medicare Part B over the last two years (without the COLA), be prepared to have an increase in that deduction from your SS.
A substantial rise in Medicare Part B premiums will affect Hawaii state finances, because it pays those premiums for its approximately 37,000 retirees. The fund to cover health insurance for state employees and retirees is already $14 billion in the hole (Honolulu Civil Beat - Hawaii Budget Chief: Tax Hikes Likely to Cover Cost of Retirees' Health Care - Article).
Old 10-17-2011, 05:51 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My congressman is getting a letter, what a rip off.
Aww don't waste your time. SS and Medicare will be bankrupt before you know it and you will not have to make any more payments to MC.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

The first social security "check" distribution date is interesting if you're taking age 62 distribution and you file before you turn 62. You MUST be 62 an entire calendar month (1st through 30th/31st) AND then there is a month lag after that.

If you're born February 10th and file for social security before you turn 62, you'll get your first distribution the second Wednesday in April. The breakdown. You turn 62 in February. March will be the first month in which you are 62 the entire month. Then the one-month lag is tacked on.

As already stated - social security gets back the last payment when you die.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
If you're born on the 3rd or later, you MUST be 62 an entire calendar month (1st through 30th/31st) AND then there is a month lag after that.
I can tell you from personal experience that if your b-day is the third of the month, the above situation can result in a lag of up to 73 days between your 62nd birthday and your first SS check...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I can tell you from personal experience that if your b-day is the third of the month, the above situation can result in a lag of up to 73 days between your 62nd birthday and your first SS check...
So... Instead of parents trying to time the birth of their baby to coincide with the start of first grade (born before September 1st) they should be thinking longer term about how the young'un will get that first social security check earlier.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #54

Quote:
Not only do you get paid for each month in the following month but the payment received in the month of your death (for the month you were alive) goes back to the SS admin. Since payment by check is on the way out, the little reminder about the payment for the last month of a recipients life will fade away.
I'm not sure that's right. My Dad died on a July 1. His estate kept the check that came in early July and it never went back. He never received a check in August. Unless you're saying the early July check was for June.....
Old 10-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
I'm not sure that's right. My Dad died on a July 1. His estate kept the check that came in early July and it never went back. He never received a check in August. Unless you're saying the early July check was for June.....
It was. SS checks are paid with a one month lag. If your first month to receive SS payment is June 1990, your first check will arrive in July 1990, and so on.

Ha