Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-08-2016, 09:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by template View Post
Same problem as that described in golftrek's post here, except for the deductible amount:

Some Medicare new enrollment questions
That case is not the same. I get ONE bill per year to pay ($166). I suggest you read up on Part G.

DW has full plan F and has not seen a bill in 6 years of enrollment.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2016, 09:18 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I'm pretty tired of dealing with paying deductibles up front at the doctor's office. Usually what they have me pay (after they call the insurance company to determine my responsibility) is not what the insurance ultimately says I was responsible for, although it's often close. It just becomes such an annoyance and I'm getting pretty burned out on dealing with it. Another doctor works better and has me pay a smaller amount upfront then sends me a bill after the insurance company processes the visit, and I pay the balance. That's easier.

Still, I just don't think I want to deal with this when I am older. $165 or $200, or whatever is OK - and probably dealt with in the first visit or two. But higher than that and it might take half the year to get through all the payments.

For this reason I'll be leaning hard towards plan G, though I'm still a few years away.
I've had Plan F HD, with it's $2,000 annual deductible, for five years and only been asked once in all that time to pay up front at a doctors office. I said "I think I've already met my deductible" and that ended the conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
DH and I both have Plan G. We get billed by the provider up to the annual Medicare deductible ($166 this year) and never see another bill. We get explanations of benefits from both Medicare and our insurance company but all plans probably involve those. No navigation of medical bills necessary...
Exactly how my Plan F HD works. I don't pay any of the provider bills for my deductible until after I receive the EOB from both the insurance company and Medicare. Most of the time I don't even get the provider bills until after I get the EOBs.

Not really a hassle, just another bill to pay.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:23 PM   #23
Confused about dryer sheets

Every state has a senior health insurance program or SHIP. They have free counsellors who are expert in all Medical care plans and can advise you at no charge. Phone or in person appointments are available, highly recommend that you find the SHIP in your state. Usually housed in the department of insurance.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-09-2016, 06:58 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In MA you only have two options for a Medigap policy. The "core plan" that does not cover Part A or Part B deductibles as well as skilled nursing facilities and "supplement 1" plan that is comprehensive and covers all deductibles and services. The premiums for the supplement 1 plan is about $90 per month higher than the core plan.

DW will be 65 next year and I will be eligible the following year. We plan on enrolling in a "supplement 1" plan so we will only pay the premiums and nothing else. This will simplify the process and will make our health care cost predictable.

Also in calling the state SHIP program we found out that BC/BS of MA will give a 15% premium discount the first year, 10% the second year and 5% the third.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:43 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

do any of these medigap policies or supplement policies cover both drugs and doctors? I am on medicare and would like to check on a policy so that I don't have to deal with both insurances separately.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:54 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
do any of these medigap policies or supplement policies cover both drugs and doctors? I am on medicare and would like to check on a policy so that I don't have to deal with both insurances separately.
I think only a Medicare Advantage plan covers both.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:56 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I've had Plan F HD, with it's $2,000 annual deductible, for five years and only been asked once in all that time to pay up front at a doctors office. I said "I think I've already met my deductible" and that ended the conversation.

Exactly how my Plan F HD works. I don't pay any of the provider bills for my deductible until after I receive the EOB from both the insurance company and Medicare. Most of the time I don't even get the provider bills until after I get the EOBs.

Not really a hassle, just another bill to pay.
Well, it might depend on the doctor's office. All the doctors and medical facilities I've dealt with have you pay something up front, even if it is just a token amount that is resolved later with a bill after the insurance company delivers their EOB.

Perhaps they treat deductibles with Medicare differently then they treat deductibles from individual health insurance - seems likely.

It could be that the Medigap portion is covering just the 20% of the charge, and they know they'll be getting the 80% directly from Medicare and thus they aren't so strict about being paid up front by the patient.

I'd just be so nervous about having to deal with medical billing as I got older. It's one of those things that could be difficult to change after the fact.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:19 PM   #28

I'm having a tough time getting quotes online for the plan G and plan F-HD that I am now considering (based on this thread). We're meeting with an insurance agent (free, no charge to us) to get pricing next week.

If G gets you everything a full F plan gets - except $166/year deductible - and it's more than $14/month cheaper... then it wins out over a plan F. Same with F-HD - if premiums are $184/month cheaper than full plan F - then it will win-out.

We have some money in DH's HSA from the past 2 years... so we have set-aside funds for a few years of paying out the full deductible.

As for billing - we've been on full HDHP w/HSAs for 2 years now... We always wait till we get the EOB to pay more than a "copay" amount. The difference between full price and EOB price (negotiated rate) is dramatic... no way I'd want to pay more than a token copay. I am ok with this.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:28 PM   #29

I'm looking at these plans in NY State, and the range of premiums makes absolutely no sense. For example, according to this site, comparing F+ plans, the range in my area (the Syracuse table), the F+ policy ranges from $58-$125/ month. Am I missing something?

Medicare Supplement Insurance Rate: Plan F+
Old 10-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #30

Medigap plans are brokered. Using online data is usually a waste of time.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:25 PM   #31

I think NY State may be an exception. IIRC the State Insurance Regulatory Agency publishes the policies and prices offered by county, so you can narrow down your list based on the data on their website.

In my research looking for a policy for DW I've found a couple of insurers give online quotes and policy info. Most notably, Blue Cross. Most others, though, just give a contact number. Lots of brokers, and I believe their is no additional cost or charge for using one.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:38 PM   #32

So, is there anyone here from NY State who can tell me what they are paying for their Medigap insurance, and what type of plan they have? Evidently this information is not available online.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:14 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I'm having a tough time getting quotes online for the plan G and plan F-HD that I am now considering (based on this thread). We're meeting with an insurance agent (free, no charge to us) to get pricing next week.

If G gets you everything a full F plan gets - except $166/year deductible - and it's more than $14/month cheaper... then it wins out over a plan F. Same with F-HD - if premiums are $184/month cheaper than full plan F - then it will win-out.

We have some money in DH's HSA from the past 2 years... so we have set-aside funds for a few years of paying out the full deductible.

As for billing - we've been on full HDHP w/HSAs for 2 years now... We always wait till we get the EOB to pay more than a "copay" amount. The difference between full price and EOB price (negotiated rate) is dramatic... no way I'd want to pay more than a token copay. I am ok with this.
My apologies if I am pointing out the obvious, but when comparing the HD option remember that medigap pays the 20% Medicare doesn't. To meet the current $2180 deductible you have to run up Medicare bills of roughly $11,000 per year. Less than that and the HD option is probably best - unless there is a significant difference in premiums.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:42 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post

Do you know that Plan F goes away in 2020 as no deductible plans will no longer be allowed? The possible impact is that there will be no new buyers of Plan F starting in 2020, so it could impact the cost of the plan as the people remaining in the plan age.

I assume Plan F HD will remain. I never had that spelled out.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:45 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm trying to find out how medigap policies are priced in Michigan (community rated, issue age rated, or attained age rated). Is this info available online by state?

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 10-09-2016, 02:53 PM   #36
Dryer sheet wannabe

Stay in hospital

To meet the current $2180 deductible you have to run up Medicare bills of roughly $11,000 per year. Less than that and the HD option is probably best.[/QUOTE]

A night in the hospital (part A) way less than 11K.
1288.00 bucks go to the deducible. Stay out of the hospital on the High F and you will win.
Its just a numbers game,
Look at the price of the high f vs f or g and do the math. if you can save 100 bucks a month, what the risk? Difference between 1200 (savings) and 2280.00 the deductible. As you get older the savings increases in CA, check your state.
I think insurance companies and agents hate the High F, they make way less money.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:03 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
I'm trying to find out how medigap policies are priced in Michigan (community rated, issue age rated, or attained age rated). Is this info available online by state?

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
This will show you have different Medigap letter policies are rated in your area by insurance company:
https://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan...digap-home.asp

For a given letter, click on "View all companies that offer this plan in your area" and you'll see the rating along side the company name.

Looks like in my zip code all insurance plans except AARP/United Healthcare are attained-age rated. AARP is community rated.

Pricing is a different matter.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:05 PM   #38
Dryer sheet wannabe

Good call, I would only go with community rated or attained age, AARP, Blue's, Aetna the big ones. My experience smaller companies issue age rated start better rates but close that pool and start another one. When you are sick you can not move. CA has a birthday rule and you can move to any company the same plan with out underwriting. I would hate to be stuck.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:12 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw72 View Post

Good call, I would only go with community rated, AARP, Blue's, Aetna the big ones. My experience smaller companies issue age rated start better rates but close that pool and start another one. When you are sick you can not move. CA has a birthday rule and you can move to any company the same plan with out underwriting. I would hate to be stuck.
Yes, see my post above. The Medicare.gov site will tell you which companies provide policies for each Medigap letter and tell you how it's rated.

I don't think you get a price though.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:38 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
My apologies if I am pointing out the obvious, but when comparing the HD option remember that medigap pays the 20% Medicare doesn't. To meet the current $2180 deductible you have to run up Medicare bills of roughly $11,000 per year. Less than that and the HD option is probably best - unless there is a significant difference in premiums.
Thanks. It wasn't obvious - at least not to me. I'm used to the "pre"medicare HDHP - where you are responsible for dollar #1 up to the deductible. (And the deductible is much higher). We rolled the dice with this and it was a loser last year... but is working out in our favor this year. (Total costs = premiums+deductible+copays+OOP).