Something new from Jacob at ERE...

An actual policy offering with that premium would be helpful.
a 62 year old non-smoking male in Chicago (future me), it’s possible to get a plan with 0% co-insurance and a $7500 deductible for $341/month or $4092/year.
The link he provides is to ehealthinsurance, and they offer only one policy near that price, and it is not 0% co-insurance. They show 88 plans, of which 87 are more expensive. The median price is around $750 per month. And then there is underwriting, which of course, can result in no policy. I have no comment on his lifestyle, but the advice on health insurance involves risk and needs to be carefully understood, and also may not be achievable for most people.

Thanks for alerting us, MP.

I love that Mrs. Jacob is making dress shirts! DH still has a long-sleeved shirt I made for him in 1973, included epaulets and little pockets on the sleeves and contrast white stitching everyone on the berry colored fabric. So embarrassing (and it cost a lot more for the materials than if I had just bought him a shirt). But not as embarrassing as the corduroy blazer and the trousers I also made for him.

I have no comment on his lifestyle, but the advice on health insurance involves risk and needs to be carefully understood, and also may not be achievable for most people.

+1

I don't want to say anything further about the rest of the post, since I have no desire to upset Jacob or to make him feel that we don't appreciate his LBYM efforts and yet my comments would doubtless reflect the viewpoint that nobody is perfect.

But I do think it is important for folks to realize that health insurance is an important factor for all potential early retirees to specifically look into in their particular location, as applies to someone of their particular age and health. Just look at it and draw your own conclusions, whatever they may be, instead of taking anybody's word for it (even Jacob's).

Last edited:
Wow. I thought he had forsaken the blog, which I always used to read. Thanks for the link.

An actual policy offering with that premium would be helpful. The link he provides is to ehealthinsurance, and they offer only one policy near that price, and it is not 0% co-insurance. They show 88 plans, of which 87 are more expensive.

Not sure how you fail to find it? Are you looking in another state?
(Prices can vary a lot from state to state.)

I just checked again. 62 y/o male, non-smoking, my current zip-code (60640). This gives 88 plans. Sort by price.

I count 14 plans out of 88 that are over $750/month. The rest are under. I count 11 plans under $350/month.

This is the one I was talking about: Humana One Value 100/7500. PP0, 0% co-insurance, $7500 deductible. Cost $341/month. It's still there.

But +1 on the need for everybody to look into this carefully both in terms of understanding the contract terms, the importance of location (it's like real estate taxes with some areas paying a lot more than others), and in terms of checking several agents/search engines carefully.

Wow. I thought he had forsaken the blog, which I always used to read. Thanks for the link.

The current policy is to write an update whenever something "significant" happens. Kinda like an epilogue/"where are they now". I think that's somewhat useful to have without attracting too much publicity.

Not sure how you fail to find it? Are you looking in another state?
(Prices can vary a lot from state to state.)

I just checked again. 62 y/o male, non-smoking, my current zip-code (60640). This gives 88 plans. Sort by price.

I count 14 plans out of 88 that are over $750/month. The rest are under. I count 11 plans under $350/month.

This is the one I was talking about: Humana One Value 100/7500. PP0, 0% co-insurance, $7500 deductible. Cost $341/month. It's still there.

But +1 on the need for everybody to look into this carefully both in terms of understanding the contract terms, the importance of location (it's like real estate taxes with some areas paying a lot more than others), and in terms of checking several agents/search engines carefully.

You’re correct. My mistake. I went back and saw that my query was for a married couple, not just one of the two.

Not yet 62 but I would love to get a rate like that. Can’t though, because underwriting excludes me. DW too, even though we are healthy and enjoy a healthful diet and lifestyle. Also my brother and his wife. But I am sure a few will get that rate, and with luck, keep it. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom