Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Makes the market meltdown kinda irrelevent doesn't it.
You know, that is so true. I was in the doctors office waiting for her to go through her PET scan, when the news was all about the failed bailout. To put it in perspective, it was very surreal, as I heard the news, but it really didn't faze me. I thought I might check on my portfolio when I got home, but then again, it really didn't matte all that much right then. This whole week, I am somewhat aware of the market ups and downs, but wasn't interested enough to check on it, till maybe late at night, and then only as a curiosity. It really doesn't matter when you are facing the kinds of decisions and outcomes that we have wrestled with these last week and a half. I know it is of interest to all, but I really haven't even checked in to see what the deal is between Palin and Obama. It just didn't seem to matter.
I really was ecstatic today. I looked up for a few minutes and DW was swinging the grandkids around and chasing them through the house. She hasn't felt like that in many weeks, so the news has made a dramatic improvement in her attitude and well being. We are now discussing taking next week, and just immersing ourselves in something of entertainment.
Oh, and some of you can relate to this, although I might not take advantage of it. She said that when she is cured of this, we should look at getting a new motorcycle and cruising around. I know that is in response to her asking if I missed my motorcycle that I had to sell in order to get our car in the garage, and I said wistfully - yes. A week moment on her part, but I wouldn't, shouldn't take advantage of her.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2008, 10:12 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestick View Post
I really was ecstatic today. I looked up for a few minutes and DW was swinging the grandkids around and chasing them through the house....Oh, and some of you can relate to this, although I might not take advantage of it. She said that when she is cured of this, we should look at getting a new motorcycle and cruising around.
i'm hearing a new lease on life. very heartening!

and, besides, you know better than to argue with a lady!

Old 10-03-2008, 11:01 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Whitestick --
So happy to hear your wife's good news...Miracles do happen, you know!
And it's wonderful that she has a goal for when she's done with this journey. About 20 years ago, a very dear friend was diagnosed with Stage 4 (end stage) ovarian cancer, at the age of 35. She and her husband were basically told to go home, enjoy the rest of her time and prepare for the end.

My friend was having nothing of that! She announced that she might not make it, but she was going to go out fighting with every fiber of her being...and once she conquered the cancer, she was going to learn how to fly an airplane. Why an airplane? Because as she put it, it would take her away from the problems on earth.

For the next two years, she battled hard, enduring fourteen hours of surgery, radiation, chemo, and a then-somewhat controversial clinical trial. She never gave up, never gave in...and whenever we'd talk, she'd always mention how she was gonna learn how to fly. We'd always end our visits by going outside and looking up at the sky, and when we'd see a plane's contrail, we'd make note that what we were seeing was the vaporizing of her cancer.

Fast forward some twenty years. My dear friend is now in her late 50s. She not only learned how to fly single engine planes...but also twin engines...instrument rated...and then became a flight instructor who's taught many women (and men) how to fly. Next February, my DH and I are joining her and her DH on a cruise to celebrate the past two decades. I consider her one of my personal heroes.

Here's to you and your wife enjoying many many years together. Miracles do happen.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:09 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Time for a Duvel.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:55 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, Cr@*#p!
Just as DW begins her Chemotherapy, and has settled into facing this challenge, I go for my Colonoscopy, and find I have a tumor as well. Will have to wait till next week, to get pathology and CT scan results, but I appear to be heading down a similar road. On a positive note, at least we found out about both of these before late stages, but still my thread title seems apropos.
Does anyone know if you are traveling to another area, if you can drop into the local hospital for a chemo treatment, assuming i have some sort of doctor prescription. We may have to be on the road for her treatment in another state, and I may have to have treatment for mine. Now I'm starting to worry about how to keep my funds coming in, as I sell covered calls, and would need someone to understand my system to keep making a similar return, and if I am in Chemo, will my judgement be affected/forget/etc.
Anyway, thanks for all the well wishes from the board. Sometimes the anonymity of posting and ranting helps.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:22 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Whitestick,

I am so sorry to see this latest report. You are a very upbeat person; I know you will prevail.

Is there someone else who can accompany your wife, so that you can stay in place to look to your own treatment, and your trading if you think that is desirable?

Ha
Old 10-31-2008, 08:12 AM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Raining and pouring. Bummer. Sorry. Maybe your tumor will turn out to be a benign polyp.

Chemo out of state may not be a good idea. It's not like dialysis where there are national networks that accommodate transient patients, and even the milder regimens can take the wind out of your sail for weeks. It's too soon to know. If you do have colon cancer (big IF, from what you provide) surgery is likely, too. Then chemo (adjuvant)) and sometimes even chemo before surgery (neoadjuvant). Your doctors will know more shortly.

But yes, in a pinch your oncologist would need to contact another one at your destination and probably arrange chemo.

If your diagnosis is cancer, you are going to need support. Family, friends, home care professionals, emotional support, etc. to meet this challenge. You'll get through it, by my suggestion is to not wait until you can't cope - stay ahead of it.

We'll be thinking about you and keep us posted when you feel up to it.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:37 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, Cr@*#p!
Just as DW begins her Chemotherapy, and has settled into facing this challenge, I go for my Colonoscopy, and find I have a tumor as well. Will have to wait till next week, to get pathology and CT scan results, but I appear to be heading down a similar road. On a positive note, at least we found out about both of these before late stages, but still my thread title seems apropos.
Does anyone know if you are traveling to another area, if you can drop into the local hospital for a chemo treatment, assuming i have some sort of doctor prescription. We may have to be on the road for her treatment in another state, and I may have to have treatment for mine. Now I'm starting to worry about how to keep my funds coming in, as I sell covered calls, and would need someone to understand my system to keep making a similar return, and if I am in Chemo, will my judgement be affected/forget/etc.
Anyway, thanks for all the well wishes from the board. Sometimes the anonymity of posting and ranting helps.
Sorry to hear that. Don't think thw worst until you know for sure. A positive attitude is the most important thing right now. Please keep us informed, good or bad news.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:17 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

I'm so sorry to hear about your latest bad news . Now is the time to enlist your family for help . Hopefully your tumor will be benign.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:26 AM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sorry to hear this bad news. good luck with the many treatments and therapies that have been developed - we have come a long way in cancer treatments -

Take care
Old 10-31-2008, 10:46 AM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Whitestick, just as you got "better" news about your wife's condition, praying that your biopsy shows you are not in the dire straits that of course your first inclinations are to put yourself in. Keep us posted and hang in there.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:25 PM   #72

I'm so sorry, Whitestick. I truly hope this will be the end of your bad news and that life can be calmer, healthier, and happier for you and your wife. We do care. Keep us posted.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:18 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Appreciate all your expressions of hope:
HA HA - her out of state trip is for her major surgery, and neither one of us would want her to face that alone.
RIT thanks for the info, fortunately, I think, we will probably take the RV, so if I have to stay a bit longer to recover, and assuming I can at least get some groceries (it will be Omaha in the middle of winter, after all), I should be able to push through. DW is a strong woman, so I will be strong for her.
When DW starts to complain about this year, I reply cheerily "it's a great year, as we discovered these things with enough time to do something about it". Does tend to reduce the time spent looking at the market gyrations. I think I'm numb to the market right now, so I can trade without any emotion about it's ups and downs. I think that's a good thing.
And it changes the discussion parameters about when to take SS. I think the sooner the better is probably more reasonable now. And that company that keeps calling me, wanting to see if I'll go to work for them, will be easier to tell no.
I've discovered a solid hard currency, by which all others are measured - it is time. The exchange rate is proving all others are weakening day by day against that time currency.
Why is it we have to get so old, to get so smart?
Old 11-01-2008, 10:33 AM   #74
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Whitestick --

So very sorry to hear your latest news, but let's all hope that the results are benign. And, even if not, colon tumors caught early give the best results.

My best wishes to you and your wife during the next few months. To heck with the market, the elections, the war...THESE truly are the times that try men's souls.

I'm praying for you both.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:47 PM   #75

Quote:
I've discovered a solid hard currency, by which all others are measured - it is time. The exchange rate is proving all others are weakening day by day against that time currency.
It sounds like you've both been smarter than the average bear all along. That will help you both get through this.
I'm sending positive thoughts your way.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

This is a lesson I also learned and it puts everything in prospective ! I hope you get a long time to appreciate your discovery !
Old 11-27-2008, 11:08 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Been awhile, and a lot has been discovered. Tumor is Rectal Cancer, and as they rate it T3-N2 is not the best news, but we have a treatment plan, that should start soon. Surgery to remove it, left me with some temporary issues that are taking time to learn to live with. Trying to get through the stages of acceptance so I can feel better. Had family and some friends over for Thanksgiving dinner today, and that helped, although DW had a reaction to the Chemo that she is on, so wasn't a lot of fun for her today either.
There was another thread that had talked about the worst possible scenario was to RE into a bear market. I have to add that finding out you both have Cancer and the costs of increased out of pocket expenses for medical treatment till you get to Medicare stage, will greatly add to the stress on the budget and the well being. Not sure how you add that to FireCalc, but I'll leave that to Dory.
Anyway, now I need to get feeling better so I can go looking for that bull named FuManChu and see if I can get a few seconds on him (from the song "Live like you are dying").
Thanks for all of the well wishes. It does help.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:29 AM   #78

Whitestick--blessings to you and your wife; you certainly have a lot to handle. Here's hoping (and praying) that you both have a full recovery. My sincerest best wishes to you both.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:35 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Whitestick,

I'm so sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. My prayers are with you and your DW. As I said after my cancer surgery your faith, family and friends are so important to support and comfort you and your DW.

Your friends at ER Forums are here to support you during these difficult times.

2soon2tell
Old 11-28-2008, 08:57 AM   #80

Quote:
There was another thread that had talked about the worst possible scenario was to RE into a bear market. I have to add that finding out you both have Cancer and the costs of increased out of pocket expenses for medical treatment till you get to Medicare stage, will greatly add to the stress on the budget and the well being.
Agreed! You are definitely living out a worst possible scenario. I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis and realize the toll it's taking on you and your wife physically, emotionally, and financially. I am so sorry. Please post often so you can vent a little and get some support.

I think I'm not just speaking for myself when I say that your attitude is admirable. I think you're amazing to be able to get your thoughts and emotions together to write so coherently!