Son lost his ACA insurance

Sue J

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm posting about this because it's one of those Healthcare.gov vs insurance company vs consumer odd situations and I'm hoping someone here has a hint of how to solve this.

My son is 30, this is his fourth year buying his insurance through Healthcare.gov. It's all gone well for him until this year.

In December he submitted his application through Healthcare.gov, got his subsidy letter and picked a silver plan through his same insurer from last year. It was a few days before the December deadline and when he did the step to pay immediately, the insurance company was no longer taking January payments through healthcare.gov, it directed him to pay at his insurer website.

Last year he had already signed up for automatic payments ($52/mo for his 2016 Bronze plan) so he went into the automatic payment site and changed his payment to be the new amount ($98/mo) for his 2017 Silver Plan.

In January the insurer sent him the plan info for both a Bronze plan and his chosen Silver plan. He got a member ID card for the Bronze, even though he picked a Silver plan. I told him he should check on that.

By mid February he still hadn't gotten his Silver plan card and then he got a letter saying that his Bronze plan for 2017 plan had ended and he was no longer insured.

He asked me to look at his account online to get this figured out. Looking at his account I could see that he had never been charged the $98/mo for the Silver plan, instead they had taken $52/mo which left him underpaid for Jan. and Feb 2017 and they dropped him for not paying in full.

He called the insurer who told him to deal with HealthCare.gov. He called Healthcare.gov who told him he had to deal with his insurer. He spent 2 hours on the phone and got no action. Finally, the insurer said they would have someone call him back by 6PM the next day and he has heard nothing.

We looked at his account on Healthcare.gov and tried to get him to reapply under the Special Enrollment because he had lost his insurance, but it said he did not qualify.

To me this looks like the insurer's billing screwed up and they should just correct it, even if he has to pay for the shortage in Jan and Feb. At this point he would still like the Silver plan but is willing to take the Bronze if he can just get coverage.

He has paid for insurance for the last 3 years and he has never used it. He is the young, healthy statistic that is needed to offset all us older, costly folks and now they don't want to take his money and keep him insured. Yes, he should have been aware that they weren't taking the proper payment. I told him that's what happens when you don't keep a check register and follow what's happening with your money. But I'm old school about that!

I've looked into what happens if you don't have insurance and it looks like you can go 3 months before there is a penalty. He likes being a responsible adult and wants to have health insurance.

Have any of you been in a situation like this? Got any hints on how to get him back into an insurance plan?

Last edited:
I haven't been in a situation like this. The only hint that comes to mind is to contact a health insurance agent or broker. They may have dealt with something similar and should know the ins and outs. Plus, shouldn't cost you anything more than doing on your own.

In every state there's an Insurance Commissioner whose job, among other things, is to look after consumers' interests. Sometimes telling the insurer that you'll be contacting the insurance Commissioner if they can't resolve it will get them to take action.

Sue J, sorry to hear about the trouble your son is facing. Not sure where he lives, but I know there have been thousands of complaints here in Florida that sound similar. In this case, though, the insurer (BCBS) has acknowledged responsibility.

This sounds like an insurance company issue. They are required to have an issue escalation process available, and I would suggest your son use that immediately. Send a letter (or email) that describes the critical info - his application and acceptance, choice of policy, auto payment enrollments. If he has any confirmations, especially of the autopay, include copies or at least confirm copies exist. Then describe the confusion on policy and payment, and his surprise at the cancellation. Ask for his original choice to be immediately reinstated retroactively to Jan 1. Then send copies of that to the state insurance regulator the constituency support office of your state representative and ask for their help.

Everything in writing, keep copies.

I don't know how long the call wait is for these places, but when I've got the "talk to the other guy" answer in the past I've just called the other guy while the first guy was still on the phone. With all three of us there we were always able to figure it out. Of course that won't work if wait times are longer than a minute.

I'm sorry this has happened to you.

Thank you for the posts and suggestions. He is out of town for work (freelance sound engineer) and should be back tomorrow.

I will urge him to try an escalation with the insurance company and then contact the state Insurance Commissioner. I hadn't thought of that route.

He did everything he was supposed to do concerning healthcare.gov except for following up to make sure that initial payment was correct and that's what triggered the underpayment. I also had a problem when I enrolled in the auto payment system. The payment did not pull on the due date so I paid it manually with a credit card. In the next monthly cycle nothing showed that a payment was going to happen until one day before the due date when I got an email that a payment was scheduled. Maddening, but I knew to be watching what was happening. The payments go through a 3rd party, Instamed, so that's another entity where things can get screwed up.

I hope he gets this resolved. I had a billing problem when I moved from my own account (first year of ER wife and I applied separately) to a joint application. Ultimately it took several months to get fixed. hopefully things will be smoother now and your son can get insurance back.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I feel your pain. I am currently working on my 3rd attempt at an ACA escalation. Each time the person told me the "other guy did it wrong, or incompletely. I know this will fix it". So far it hasn't. The only way I know it hasn't is I get a letter from my insurer saying that some change, requested by the Health Insurance Marketplace has been rejected and I should call them if I have any questions. Rinse. Repeat. I am coming up on 2 months trying to get a simple life-change issue reported and corrected.

Anyone who says that the ACA is working just fine and should not be touched needs their head examined.

My son is 30, this is his fourth year buying his insurance through Healthcare.gov. It's all gone well for him until this year.

He has paid for insurance for the last 3 years and he has never used it. He is the young, healthy statistic that is needed to offset all us older, costly folks and now they don't want to take his money and keep him insured. ...

So ironic--you would think the insurers would be jumping through hoops to get premiums from someone who is unlikely to actually use the insurance. Good luck, I'm sure this is resolveable in that your son can't be the first person this conflict has happened to so there must be a fix somewhere.

Just know it is not always the ACA plans that has significant issues. Mom has a United Healthcare/AARP HMO Medicare Advantage Plan. It has a zero premium. She had the same plan last year. In January she went for her yearly doctor visit, lab work and a covered bone scan. In Feb. she got denial letters for over $4,000 in charges. She had a panic attack. (Note: she even had an insurance card that was printed Jan. 17, 2017.)

We called and the only thing the assistor could say is she IS covered and why do they send out denials so fast. She never lost coverage but still got the denials. I had to access the online system and print it out before she would believe anyone.

Next year she is going for her annual visit in February. By the way, the negotiated rate was 10% of the billed amount and she owes zero.

So ironic--you would think the insurers would be jumping through hoops to get premiums from someone who is unlikely to actually use the insurance. Good luck, I'm sure this is resolveable in that your son can't be the first person this conflict has happened to so there must be a fix somewhere.
My daughter almost was in this case. She filed for an application and it did nothing until I panicked and hassled her. It took forever from the insurance company to respond, they needed proof that she came off my insurance before they wanted to enroll her.

Hi Sue, :mad: Makes me crazy remembering my own experience. Here is my thoughts and experience.

I believe you must start with the ACA Marketplace or State exchange call center unless he has both a letter of Silver Plan confirmation and the insurance company when he called confirms he is on the Silver Plan. If that is true he should just go directly to the state agency responsible to help him in Health Insurance problems. see below.

1 Call ACA/State Exchange. Refuse to tell the story again and insist on a Supervisor to help you. They should open some sort of ticket and tracking. They can/will 'resend/resubmit' the corrected/clarifying information back to his company. Date one ended / Date next started etc... Get the records corrected electronically.
2 Keep notebook. CLEARLY note time/date/Exchange or Company contacted/Name of party.

We were cancelled twice last year due to an unknown computer issue when we moved from city to county both mailing same city. Needle in haystack to figuire out the issue.

Other ideas
Tip: After you get the Exchange ticket started.. Call the health insurance side ask for the name of the person or group that helps with ACA Exchange problems. Have them note your call and the ticket number from the ACA. Sometimes you can get advice on billing. Only speak to a supervisor if you have to work with the call center. Get their name and commitment to keep working with you. Try to get a direct number. Ask the Supervisor what they suggest on payment owed if any.
Tip: If you get a CSR who seems incompetent. Hang up and call back.
Tip: Try to keep your cool and schmooze if possible. Try to invite them to help you... aka beg. Not easy. I feel you pain.

Another resource /Healthcare oversight is at the state level. I would have him copy everything he has to show and make it electronic too if he/you can. Screen shots etc... Contact the oversight department is his state. In Washington State it is https://www.insurance.wa.gov/

Elected state officials are also a resource if the state agency needs a prod.

It's complicated. It probably will take a number of back and forth calls by your son which if he works makes it all the more difficult.

Been there done that. It's horrible but in the end insurance matters. And time required is a huge challenge too. I know the stress too if not have coverage while you work it out. Wishing you the best and a quick resolution. Hope something in here helps.

I'm posting about this because it's one of those Healthcare.gov vs insurance company vs consumer odd situations and I'm hoping someone here has a hint of how to solve this.

In December he submitted his application through Healthcare.gov, got his subsidy letter and picked a silver plan through his same insurer from last year. It was a few days before the December deadline and when he did the step to pay immediately, the insurance company was no longer taking January payments through healthcare.gov, it directed him to pay at his insurer website.

Last year he had already signed up for automatic payments ($52/mo for his 2016 Bronze plan) so he went into the automatic payment site and changed his payment to be the new amount ($98/mo) for his 2017 Silver Plan.

In January the insurer sent him the plan info for both a Bronze plan and his chosen Silver plan. He got a member ID card for the Bronze, even though he picked a Silver plan. I told him he should check on that.

By mid February he still hadn't gotten his Silver plan card and then he got a letter saying that his Bronze plan for 2017 plan had ended and he was no longer insured.

He asked me to look at his account online to get this figured out. Looking at his account I could see that he had never been charged the $98/mo for the Silver plan, instead they had taken $52/mo which left him underpaid for Jan. and Feb 2017 and they dropped him for not paying in full.

He called the insurer who told him to deal with HealthCare.gov. He called Healthcare.gov who told him he had to deal with his insurer. He spent 2 hours on the phone and got no action. Finally, the insurer said they would have someone call him back by 6PM the next day and he has heard nothing.

We looked at his account on Healthcare.gov and tried to get him to reapply under the Special Enrollment because he had lost his insurance, but it said he did not qualify.

To me this looks like the insurer's billing screwed up and they should just correct it, even if he has to pay for the shortage in Jan and Feb. At this point he would still like the Silver plan but is willing to take the Bronze if he can just get coverage.

He has paid for insurance for the last 3 years and he has never used it. He is the young, healthy statistic that is needed to offset all us older, costly folks and now they don't want to take his money and keep him insured. Yes, he should have been aware that they weren't taking the proper payment. I told him that's what happens when you don't keep a check register and follow what's happening with your money. But I'm old school about that!

I've looked into what happens if you don't have insurance and it looks like you can go 3 months before there is a penalty. He likes being a responsible adult and wants to have health insurance.

Have any of you been in a situation like this? Got any hints on how to get him back into an insurance plan?

Back
Top Bottom