Soon be joining the class of 2016 - Newbie advise on Health Insurance

bobandsherry

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi - wife and I will be joining the class of 2016 soon, heading down to sunny Florida. After being covered by employer programs we'll need to now secure our own health insurance. We've look at the market place (healthcare.gov) and were not really impressed by the offerings by Ambetter, Florida Blue, Humana and UHC. We are both in good health (knock on wood) but premiums easily run $900-1,000/month for coverage that isn't really impressive.

At least this year we'll be over the ACA income limits with earnings until retirement plus a bonus payout, so we won't see any subsidies on premiums. I am looking for advise from those who have been down a similar path.

You really only have three choices here - COBRA, a short-term ACA plan or a HDHP/catastrophic plan you get directly from the insurer.

I retired last year and went with a Bronze plan from Humana for the 10 months I needed it (due to severance payments raising income), and am now on a cost-shared, heavily subsidized Silver plan for 2016 since my MAGI is under 200% FPL.

Back
Top Bottom