Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rich,
Are you going to send him a bill?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2008, 06:55 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Excerpts from a sound patient handout (my edits as noted). For general interest, not medical advice for anyone, especially FD whose bill is already in the mail:

Patient information: Heel pain due to plantar fasciitis
Robert P Sheon, MD
DEFINITION — Plantar fasciitis is caused by strain of the ligaments of the foot in an area called the plantar fascia ... This is a thick, pearly white tissue with long fibers that attach to the skin ...

Jumping or prolonged standing often causes strain on the plantar fascia, although plantar fasciitis can occur in other situations as well. The outcome for people with plantar fasciitis is generally good, with approximately 80 percent of people having no pain within one year.

SYMPTOMS — The major symptom of plantar fasciitis is pain beneath the heel and on the sole of the foot. The pain is often worst when stepping onto the foot, particularly when first getting out of bed or getting up after being seated for some time.

RISK FACTORS —...
Factors that increase the risk include:
  • Long-distance running, especially during intensive training
  • Poorly fitted shoes
  • Obesity
  • Standing for long periods of time
  • Dancing, especially ballet and aerobic dance
  • Repeated squatting or standing on the toes
  • Use of a trampoline
TREATMENT
Conservative treatment — Plantar fasciitis is usually treated conservatively. Conservative treatment is not guaranteed to eliminate plantar fasciitis in all cases, although it usually helps to decrease pain.
Patients who are overweight or have flat feet may decide to be treated for these conditions first. Treatment may also include the following:
Rest — Limiting athletic activities and getting extra rest for up to two weeks can help the inflammation to subside. Excessive heel impact from jumping, walking, and use of a trampoline should be avoided. A complete lack of physical activity, though, can lead to stiffening and recurrence of pain.
Icing — applying ice to the area for 20 minutes up to four times daily can relieve Pain. Ice and massage may also be used prior to exercise.
Exercise — Exercise is an important part of therapy. ...
Ibuprofen — A clinician may recommend a two to three week course of a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug such as ibuprofen or naproxen to reduce swelling and relieve pain. ...

Protective footwear — Athletic shoes, arch supporting shoes (particularly those with an extra-long counter, which is the firm part of the shoe that surrounds the heel), or shoes with rigid shanks (usually a metal insert into the sole of the shoe) are helpful. Cushion-soled shoes with gel pad inserts or heel cups can provide temporary pain relief. Appropriate shoes and accessories can be found in stores featuring work shoes or "orthopedic shoes."

Splints can be worn overnight to position the foot and heel provide pain relief and a gentle stretch. These splints can usually be purchased in pharmacies that carry orthopedic supplies.
Other modes of treatment — If these noninvasive measures fail to improve the pain within two to three weeks, a healthcare provider may recommend one of the following treatments:

Steroid (cortisone) injection — An injection of a steroid medication may be given into the affected tissue. Many clinicians limit the number of times they will give this type of injection because repeated injections may weaken the tissues of the sole of the foot. In addition, each injection carries a small risk of causing infection ...

Casting — Another option is a short walking cast, which begins at the calf and covers the ankle and foot up to the toes.

Shock wave therapy — Some clinicians recommend shock wave therapy (a form of ultrasound), which provides a burst of energy to the sole of the foot. The treatment is initially painful, and has not been proven to be more effective than sham treatment (treatment with a very low, non-therapeutic dose of ultrasound).

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:08 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I'm going to try stretching my Achilles tendon every morning before I get out of bed.
Hah...found your problem. You need two of those.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:11 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Update:

I saw my GP yesterday. She also said plantar facitis. Rich, feel free to send me a bill. Do you take United Healthcare insurance??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:00 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Update:

I saw my GP yesterday. She also said plantar facitis. Rich, feel free to send me a bill. Do you take United Healthcare insurance??

Please send all payments to the Rich_in_Tampa Retirement Fund.

Hope the foot settles down fast.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #26

Had the same problem years ago and spent about $500 for foot doctor and special inserts that didn't work worth a darn. Saw an infomercial on phase four orthodics and bought some for about $20. They hurt when I first started wearing them but I got use to them and now I swear by them, have them in all my shoes and no more foot pain, ever.

phase four orthotics, Medical, Special Needs, Health Beauty items on eBay.com
Old 01-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Just wondering if Rich or someone could comment.

It has been going on for a couple months. I wake up with the bottom of my feet hurting.

Once I get up and around and moving, it feels fine. Next morning, same thing.

Thoughts? It happens whether I did physical activity or not............
That is how my plantar fasciitis was. Whatever you have, take it seriously.

The tricky thing was, the flareup often didn't happen until the next day, so if your activity varies day to day you have to keep a log to figure out what's causing the problems. Bicycling was one of the things that wrecked me. Who woulda thought a non-weight-bearing activity would do it?
Old 01-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post

Please send all payments to the Rich_in_Tampa Retirement Fund.

Hope the foot settles down fast.
Funny, the sheet of exercises she gave me to do is identical to the stretches we did in college cross country.........

I'm on Alleve, icing it, wearing shoes with good arch supports, etc.........

Old 01-18-2008, 02:51 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
Bicycling was one of the things that wrecked me. Who woulda thought a non-weight-bearing activity would do it?
Well, depending on how you SLEEP, it can make the problem worse too...........

BTW, my GP is funny. After the physical, she looks at me and says: "You can lose 20 pounds my next year's exam, can't you"

Old 01-18-2008, 03:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Had the same problem years ago and spent about $500 for foot doctor and special inserts that didn't work worth a darn. Saw an infomercial on phase four orthodics and bought some for about $20. They hurt when I first started wearing them but I got use to them and now I swear by them, have them in all my shoes and no more foot pain, ever.

phase four orthotics, Medical, Special Needs, Health Beauty items on eBay.com
Same for me. Broke my foot about five years ago and have had problems ever since. Doc prescribed custom fitted orthotics, but they didn't fit in most of my shoes and were just very uncomfortable. Saw the infomercial and bought the Phase Four orthotics at the local pharmacy for about $20...they fit in all my shoes and after I got used to them no more foot pain!
Old 01-20-2008, 01:07 PM   #31

Want2Retire's suggestion of gently stretching your toes towards your nose before getting out of bed was suggested to me by my podiatrist. (It's helpful). Actually, he suggested I put a band around my foot and then pull it towards me.

Other suggestions from the podiatrist:
1. Aleve

2. Freeze a bottle of water (plastic container) and then roll it under your foot for 5-15 minutes, 2-4 times a day. (After the first 10 seconds the shock of the cold wears off).
Old 01-20-2008, 04:19 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I have problems with PF, too. Here are the things that I found:

First, shoes that fit. Most department stores carry "D" width shoes; if they have wide widths they are typically 4E. My feet, however are 8-2E size, and I'd been buying shoes that were either too wide or too narrow to fit well. Now I go to a specialty place and spend the extra money. Life is too short to save a few bucks on shoes and hurt every time I walk. I try to buy them on sale.

Oddly enough the shoes I have the most problem finding are for an industry that makes a big deal out of proper fit: hiking boots. I spend a long time looking, but then they last me three to five years, so I just bite the bullet and spend the money.

When I was first diagnosed I got specialized orthotics, which were uncomfortable to wear at first, but felt better over time and got me feet into reasonable shape. Now I buy "Sole" brand arch supports, which you heat up and form to match the bottom of your foot, and replace the factory insoles in each of my shoes.

Last, I do stretches every morning when I get up. It's my insurance against a variety of chronic problems that do show up in my back (left side tendon injuries at L2-3-4 from an old gymnastics injury), shoulder (adhesive capsulitis, likely from the same source or an old motorcycle injury), and feet (PF) if I don't take care of myself.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:08 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Sore Feet in the Morning....

The best shoes for my PF are Earth Spirit from Walmart. Not every style - but the closed toe, open back works great or the plain pump. They're not the most stylish shoes, but they have really good arch support and when I wear them, I have no problem with PF. I could barely walk when I found them about 5 years ago. Good price too.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:51 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

As a runner, I experience pain on the back and not the bottom of the heel, and therefore was diagnosed not as PF but as Achilles tendonitis. The night after running I'll wear a night splint and that does the trick.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:30 PM   #35

I had it too until I lost 30 pounds. No issue since.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:49 PM   #36

Yup - PF is what it sounds like - my husband is still dealing with this - very painful and takes awhile to heal - do what the doctors say on this one
Old 01-29-2008, 11:05 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
I had it too until I lost 30 pounds. No issue since.
Wish me luck, tomorrow is Wednesday Morning Weigh-ins on here...........

Old 01-31-2008, 07:37 PM   #38

I saw the foot doc back in 01 or 02 and he told me I had PF. I would hate getting out of bed in the morning because of the pain.

Food Doc recommended some inserts which I still use today. Look up SPENCO hard arch supports. Gives arch support, which really helps.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:59 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Oh, the other thing I've heard is to not go barefoot, even around the house.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:33 PM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

I was diagnosed with PF about 3 years ago. Tried ice, rest, inserts, no bare feet, stretching, and night splints all to no avail. Decided to get a steriod shot. The shot was in the forward part of my heel in the center. It worked! The foot Doctor said it will cover an area of about the size of a quarter. Two months later I got a second shot more towards the inner part of my heel to cover that tendon. A year and a half later I feel great, I do wear custom heel inserts all the time just to prevent a reoccurance. I do stretch my achilles every morning before I even get out of bed in the morning. Good Luck.