Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Sore Feet in the Morning.........
Old 01-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sore Feet in the Morning.........

Just wondering if Rich or someone could comment.

It has been going on for a couple months. I wake up with the bottom of my feet hurting.

Once I get up and around and moving, it feels fine. Next morning, same thing.

Thoughts? It happens whether I did physical activity or not............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Uh oh. You know what sore feet are the first sign of don't you? Yep, after being a PITA for all these years, age is lowering your center of gravity.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Yup. They say the feet are the second thing to go.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Ha-ha.........any good advice?

BTW, these feet in question are size 12..........

Old 01-14-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

You know what they say about guys with big feet: they have to wear big shoes...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:29 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is it from running the day before? I know mine sometimes fuss with me when I get up. Eh never mind helps if I read what you posted closer. Must just be you getting older :P
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Talk about sparse details... try plantar fasciitis if it's just the first few steps of the day in a runner.

How old are your running shoes?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:50 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Talk about sparse details... try plantar fasciitis if it's just the first few steps of the day in a runner.

How old are your running shoes?
I haven't been running for quite some time. I had plantar fascitis before, and this pain is different, mostly in the heel. Maybe old running injuries flaring up.

I have an old pair of cross trainers I've been wearing......maybe they need to get the ax...........

Old 01-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #9

I'll agree with Rich in Tampa. Details are sketchy, but it might be plantar fasciitis. And, it usually shows up in the morning as soon as you hit the floor. There are some remedies for this condition and apparently it eventually goes away (or so I hope).
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:06 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I'll agree with Rich in Tampa. Details are sketchy, but it might be plantar fasciitis. And, it usually shows up in the morning as soon as you hit the floor. There are some remedies for this condition and apparently it eventually goes away (or so I hope).
I'm going to try stretching my Achilles tendon every morning before I get out of bed.

That, and DW has a wood foot roller I'm going to use............

Old 01-14-2008, 02:13 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Still on the PF train, apologies since you said you didn't think it was PF, but maybe this will make some sense whether or not it's PF.

If it is PF, there's a splint or special sock that you can wear at night to keep it stretched. But I hear it's not too comfortable. It may be that in winter, if you have a heavy blanket on your foot, your toes are pointing down more and shortening the plantar fascia. Maybe it's just as simple as wearing warm socks to bed and taking some of the blanket weight off your feet. I have an extra blanket that's real heavy that I sometimes use in winter and I noticed it was really pulling my toes down, uncomfortably so.

Or you could try stretching it some during the day, or wearing heal cups in your shoes. If it's better during the day maybe it won't tighten up so much at night.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:21 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I haven't been running for quite some time. I had plantar fascitis before, and this pain is different, mostly in the heel.
The heel is exactly where PF strikes.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:37 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The heel is exactly where PF strikes.
Okay.............then my podiatrist is a quack. When I had what I thought was plantar facitis a number of years ago, the bottom of my foot from heel to metarsal throbbed after a run.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:41 PM   #14

I had PF but it was smack dab in the middle of my food in the meaty part. Dr's diagnoses was perfect. I was using cheap running shoes. I got shoes that had very little flex in them along with inserts and it helped right away. After having foot pain like that I dont ever plan on skimping on shoes again.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Yes, that's what happened to me about 48 years old. I'm not a runner, the knee doc specifically told me not to do that. Just some of those squishy pad things in the heels of my shoes took care of it. Any shoe store sells them, about $8.

If that doesn't work see a doc.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:58 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I had sore feet and was sure there was something serious going on. My doctor said my shoes were not giving my feet proper arch support. My frequent wearing of flip flops sure didn't help either. Better footwear and some shoe inserts for my other shoes helped a lot.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #17

I developed PF last May and I can tell you first hand that it hurts like hell.
Did 3 months of therapy and not much luck. Finally bought Dr. Scholls PF wedge for the shoes and got some relief.

Reading on the internet I found that it lasts 3 months to a year. Feeling better now but still get pain if not using the correct shoes and the wedge.

Not fun!

FD, if you had PF like I have there's no chance that you went out for a run and then got the pain. You wouldn't be doing any walking no less running.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:21 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

FD, do some gentle stretches before you get out of bed. I like to sit with my legs stretched out on the bed in front of me, point my toes towards my nose, hold for a few seconds, then relax and repeat.

This sounds like the very earliest stages of PF and like the OP said, you do not want to mess with PF!!! It can be ghastly. Wear good, supportive shoes (I like Birkenstocks, New Balance, or SAS shoes) and get into the habit of stretching gently like I described before getting out of bed.

73ss454, my sympathies!! That is the most painful, frustrating, discouraging condition I have ever had.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:32 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

When I get up I hobble around for a minute or so and then my feet feel better. It isn't PF more like arthritis but the last time I checked on that the reports came back negative. I do have pronation problems and high arches that cause my feet to easily get sore walking - a pair of custom orthotics helps but doesn't fully alleviate the problem. Maybe your feet just suck like mine. If I recall correctly, you are about 45 or so, right? Thats when I started getting the foot problems. Eyes started going there abouts also. And hearing.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:10 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Maybe you might need some calcium and vitamin D.

You might have thinning bones in your feet?
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote