Join Early Retirement Today

sore knee question
Old 06-10-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

sore knee question

Have any of you runners or fitness buffs ever had knee pain above your kneecap? Mine is mild but lingering since I started this pretty intense bootcamp class after being sedentary for several years and weighing about 25 lbs too much.

From looking around, it sounds like the only thing that affects that spot might be quad tendonitis, which doesn't really seem to have any remedy other than rest and gentle quad strengthening exercises. They don't seem to recommend any knee braces or straps or anything for this particular spot like they do for the below knee or side knee pain. I was just researching the brace idea for support to keep it from getting any worse, since I don't really want to stop this class yet, and the pain is not severe at all, just a dull soreness as I do certain movements.

Anyway, does anyone have any tips for dealing with this? I was never an athlete, and trying to do this stuff now that I am almost 40 is a real wakeup call that I'm not a kid anymore.
igsoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I had sore knees for years, then someone told me that strengthening your quads helps this problem. After learning a couple exercises my sore knees are back to normal.
AzDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:37 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Yoga
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:41 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

if it is amazingly painful it sounds like Jumpers knee which i got about a year or two ago. lasted for a few months. didn't even show up on an x-ray so probably was just a very minor tear in the tendon which attaches to the knee cap. stretching exercises helped.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:25 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by igsoy View Post
Have any of you runners or fitness buffs ever had knee pain above your kneecap? Mine is mild but lingering since I started this pretty intense bootcamp class...
Anyway, does anyone have any tips for dealing with this? I was never an athlete, and trying to do this stuff now that I am almost 40 is a real wakeup call that I'm not a kid anymore.
With apologies to Groucho Marx,
"Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
"Well, don't do that anymore!"

If you don't push the workouts any harder on that part of your body, then the condition will gradually heal itself. Give it a month, but if it gets worse then you're going to have to stop whatever leg exercises are hurting it. Lunges & squats will help strengthen the quads but they won't heal the inflamed tendons.

The only thing for inflamed tendons is rest, ice, and 800 mg of ibuprofen 3x/day...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:57 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by igsoy View Post
Have any of you runners or fitness buffs ever had knee pain above your kneecap? Mine is mild but lingering since I started this pretty intense bootcamp class after being sedentary for several years and weighing about 25 lbs too much.
I think you pretty well have diagnosed yourself. As I have grown older and had joint pains I have found that rest is the best cure and then switch to different or less rigorous exercise. Doesn't always work of course, but you've got to give it a chance.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:21 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey everybody, thanks for the replies. I just sprained my ankle playing softball, so now the knee is not bothering me so much anymore.
igsoy is offline   Reply With Quote