Sounds Like I Fractured my Ankle........

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
:(

I was at the father-son basketball camp on Saturday. We were doing drills together, and when I was running suddenly my foot stopped and I kept going.

It swelled up instantly and I was out of commission. I went home and iced it, and went to the doctor on Sunday. They took X-rays, and gave me an AirBoot. It hurts but not unbearably.

Today they called me. They said they saw a fracture on the X-ray and they want to cast my ankle. Man, that sucks..............:p

Any info on how long I am looking at....I am thinking a couple months.............

:(

I was at the father-son basketball camp on Saturday. We were doing drills together, and when I was running suddenly my foot stopped and I kept going.

It swelled up instantly and I was out of commission. I went home and iced it, and went to the doctor on Sunday. They took X-rays, and gave me an AirBoot. It hurts but not unbearably.

Today they called me. They said they saw a fracture on the X-ray and they want to cast my ankle. Man, that sucks..............:p

Any info on how long I am looking at....I am thinking a couple months.............

I would guess you'll be casted 6 to 8 weeks. Depending on how bad the fracture is, afterwards you might be placed in a walking boot for a while. You may or may not need therapy.

Sorry to hear about your injury! Being on crutches for a while is TOUGH. Not to mention...is it your right foot? Won't be able to drive if so...

Sorry to hear about the foot. Careful watching what you eat since you cant do much exercise.

It is my right foot, but I have been driving. Funny thing is, I have been able to put some weight on it, but only 20-25%..................

It sucks, I guess I am cancelling my golf dates for the time-being.........

It is my right foot, but I have been driving. Funny thing is, I have been able to put some weight on it, but only 20-25%..................

It sucks, I guess I am cancelling my golf dates for the time-being.........

Definitely sucks. The doc likely will tell you you aren't supposed to drive after being casted (legal/liability thing...), just an FYI. That's what they told my friend who fractured her R ankle. Once you are in a cast you can't point/flex your foot, so you'd be trying to push on the gas via straightening out the knee...and the reaction time with trying to get to the brake...well, you can envision what I'm talking about!

Hopefully it is just a small fracture and maybe you won't be casted too long. My friend talked them into putting her into a walking brace a week or so earlier than they had predicted.

Definitely sucks. The doc likely will tell you you aren't supposed to drive after being casted (legal/liability thing...), just an FYI. That's what they told my friend who fractured her R ankle. Once you are in a cast you can't point/flex your foot, so you'd be trying to push on the gas via straightening out the knee...and the reaction time with trying to get to the brake...well, you can envision what I'm talking about!

I'll folow-up post what's going on after the doctor visit. I have been using my left foot to brake, kind of a throwback to my muscle car ownership days. Hey, that's the way the NASCAR guys drive.........:eek:

Hopefully it is just a small fracture and maybe you won't be casted too long. My friend talked them into putting her into a walking brace a week or so earlier than they had predicted.

I am encouraged because:

a)I can put weight on it without the Aircast
b)I can put more weight on it with the Aircast
c)I think it would HURT BAD if there was a bad fracture.
d)There's no throbbing pain, just a steady one, and Advil does just fine with it.....
e)I can sleep at night with it elevated

Sucks, dude. Hope you heal quickly.

There was no warning or pain before your ankle broke?

Sucks, dude. Hope you heal quickly.

There was no warning or pain before your ankle broke?

No, I was doing fine at the basketball camp, and then we did a "chase drill" where you pass the ball to your son and chase him to the basket.

I took about 3 steps, my foot stopped for no reason, and my ankle buckled. Later that day when I got home, I noticed a big wad of gum on the heel of the shoe I was wearing. Whether that was the culprit or not I don't know......:p

Sorry to hear about your accident . Depending on how long you have to be on crutches I would go to Good will and buy a walker for at home use . Crutches get to be a pain pretty quickly .

Sorry to hear about your accident . Depending on how long you have to be on crutches I would go to Good will and buy a walker for at home use . Crutches get to be a pain pretty quickly .

There is one bright spot. The crutches I used when I had my motorcycle accident almost 20 years ago are still around, so I saved a little money..........:D

There's an alternative to crutches. It's a wheeled cart that you kneel on and steer like a bicycle. You should be able to rent these at your local pharmacy and/or medical supplies place.

To see what one looks like Google Turning Leg Caddy.

There's an alternative to crutches. It's a wheeled cart that you kneel on and steer like a bicycle. You should be able to rent these at your local pharmacy and/or medical supplies place.

To see what one looks like Google Turning Leg Caddy.

I could not adjust to using crutches when I broke my ankle and foot several years ago, so I had my DH bring my home office desk chair downstairs and I used it like the wheeled cart to get around the house!

Hope your injury is a minor break. Unfortunately, ever since mine, I can pretty accurately predict changes in the weather by the level of stiffness in my ankle. :(

next time you'll take sore feet as an omen.

seems to be working its way north. might i suggest you start wearing a cup.

FD - on 3/1 I did break my ankle - so I feel for you. On 4/15 I gave back my crutches and boot I was wearing. So 6 weeks is the deal. It was my left ankle so I was able to drive. I'm still limping around but ankle getting stronger everyday. I should be good for Over 40 baseball starting in July. Thanks to caring wife it went fast - even lost a few pounds. Good lucki

FD - on 3/1 I did break my ankle - so I feel for you. On 4/15 I gave back my crutches and boot I was wearing. So 6 weeks is the deal. It was my left ankle so I was able to drive. I'm still limping around but ankle getting stronger everyday. I should be good for Over 40 baseball starting in July. Thanks to caring wife it went fast - even lost a few pounds. Good lucki

I will know by the 28th if it's surgery or just boot and then rehab.............

I have been wearing an Aircast Walking Brace since 1991 for a diabetes related ankle problem called a Charcot Joint. I have to wear it forever. It's like it's not even there anymore. I am glad it's on my left foot rather than my "gas pedal" foot.

I have the light grey kind in the attached pic.

Mike D.

Attachments

• aircast.jpg
    aircast.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 45
I have been wearing an Aircast Walking Brace since 1991 for a diabetes related ankle problem called a Charcot Joint. I have to wear it forever. It's like it's not even there anymore. I am glad it's on my left foot rather than my "gas pedal" foot.

I have the light grey kind in the attached pic.

Mike D.

That's the same one I am using..........:D Man,17 years with that thing on.......:p I guess my 6 weeks or so I will have it on is nothing compared to that..........:eek:

FD,
I think it's time to analyze this whole thing a bit more. There you were, just participating in this sponsored event as you were instructed, and your ankle got broken!! You are the victim! Did the sponsors of the event do anything to mitigate this risk-maybe instruct the participants in proper foot placement, weight-shifting during changes in acceleration, etc? Was the warm-up sufficient (evidently NOT!). Okay, now this has happened--who will make you whole? Medical expenses, lost work time, pain and suffering. Get thee to a lawyer, pronto! Thar's gold in them thar hills!

FD,
I think it's time to analyze this whole thing a bit more. There you were, just participating in this sponsored event as you were instructed, and your ankle got broken!! You are the victim! Did the sponsors of the event do anything to mitigate this risk-maybe instruct the participants in proper foot placement, weight-shifting during changes in acceleration, etc? Was the warm-up sufficient (evidently NOT!). Okay, now this has happened--who will make you whole? Medical expenses, lost work time, pain and suffering. Get thee to a lawyer, pronto! Thar's gold in them thar hills!

So, I should sue the School District for pain and suffering? I'm sure there was a waiver of risk from the Rec Department regarding injuries.

The warm-up was sufficient, we stretched for 10-15 minutes, after running 5 laps around the gym. The incident occurred about 90 minutes into the camp................

Sorry, I guess I should have included a smiley. All above was in jest. Actually, with the litigious nature of some folks, I'm surprised events of this kind aren't extinct, I'm glad to hear they aren't.

ouch that sucks! we have lots of sprains around here between dance and basketball - luckily no fractures...lots of rest! and listen to your docs...

Sorry to hear it, guy. Here's the leg caddy thing:

Knee-Walker-2T.jpg

or you could just go with one of these. :)

rapley1.jpg

Sorry to hear it, guy. Here's the leg caddy thing:

Knee-Walker-2T.jpg

or you could just go with one of these. :)

rapley1.jpg

Now all I need is unclemick to print me out a curmudgeon certificate, and I am all set. On the bright side, a VERY ATTRACTIVE 30 ish woman opened the door for me and smiled. My response? "Thank you, but just so you know, if I wasn't hurt, I'd be doing the same thing for you".............:D

Back
Top Bottom