Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Speaking of ACA
Old 07-10-2019, 08:21 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Speaking of ACA

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...awsuit-1404171

According to many recent articles, ACA on shaky ground. Who thinks the ACA will survive for the next 3 years? My hope ruling gets repealed and takes a few years to get to Supreme Court. By then, hello medicare.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2019, 08:36 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Health care (in this case its only health INSURANCE) is too important to make it a political "The other guy did it so therefore by default I don't like it" ping pong ball played between 2 distracted cats, both of which are high on catnip.
All I know is I'm 7 years from Medicare and paying full rate for a crappy high deductible policy (ignoring deductibles/copays/etc!) would increase my monthly burn rate by over 50% and my budget can't absorb that.

Spock is offline   Reply
Old 07-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #3

I think it will affect a lot of us here (and our significant others) if it is deemed unconstitutional and removed. A disaster to the RE crowd IMHO.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
My hope ruling gets repealed and takes a few years to get to Supreme Court. By then, hello medicare.
(By "hope...repealed" I think you're referring to the ruling that the mandate is not constitutional, not that you hope the ACA gets repealed, iow, that the ACA survives?)

For everyone who would be 65 by the time the worst case happens, sure, no biggie for them, but it would leave many of us in the lurch.

DH and I for example: ACA coverage, already ER'd. More than a decade till medicare. If the ACA were struck down a few years from now we'd be in our 50's with several blank years in our resumes so returning to full time paid work with paid health insurance (along with many other hopefuls) would be unlikely.

And please spare me the "well you should go back to work now then...."
Aerides is offline   Reply
Old 07-11-2019, 06:18 AM   #5

We certainly hope it survives all the mortar attacks. I am sure it does more good than harm for those who really need it. Specifically Pre-Existing Conditions and preventative services. Regardless of whether one gets a subsidy or not, those provisions are still extremely valuable.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:24 AM   #6

DGF already on Medicare due to SSDI. I have 5 years until Medicare. I hope the ACA survives, but think it is too close to call right now.
At the very least, I hope the process takes awhile to get to the Supreme Court if necessary and then any new law would take a bit to implement.
Agree with @Aerides that most folks would have issues returning to work including me.
Plus will not work 30 hours in a greeter type job in order to receive medical.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:39 AM   #7

Change is hard, especially for those more experience folks out there. There may actually be a better way to get great health Insurance while keeping the pre-existing condition clause. I have been on the ACA for two years and think it has good parts and needs help in several areas. Cost is the biggest problem for those that can't control their income. Also the lack of asset qualification makes this an expensive program that also helps those that could afford to pay for their own(I'm included). I don't see the health insurance market(politicians) shutting down the ACA without an ample replacement. It might actually be a better plan.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:54 AM   #8

Unfortunately there has not been a replacement plan proposed, let alone and ample one. Until this happens I cannot see a suitable outcome.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
Change is hard, especially for those more experience folks out there. There may actually be a better way to get great health Insurance while keeping the pre-existing condition clause. I have been on the ACA for two years and think it has good parts and needs help in several areas. Cost is the biggest problem for those that can't control their income. Also the lack of asset qualification makes this an expensive program that also helps those that could afford to pay for their own(I'm included). I don't see the health insurance market(politicians) shutting down the ACA without an ample replacement. It might actually be a better plan.
ACA has been law for 9 years and fully implemented for (?) with no "Plan B" proposed during that entire time. The mantra is "repeal", not "replace". So I am not optimistic that any sort of safety net will be in place when the current tight rope is cut.
Spock is offline   Reply
Old 07-11-2019, 07:11 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Unfortunately there has not been a replacement plan proposed, let alone and ample one. Until this happens I cannot see a suitable outcome.
And with split control of Congress, I don't see the 2 legislative chambers agreeing to anything quickly. Think about how long it took for the ACA to get passed with unified control of Congress and the White House. Each chamber would pass their own bill and blame the other chamber for being obstructionists.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply
Old 07-11-2019, 07:14 AM   #11

So if the the ACA gets repealed without the replacement in place, would it automatically revert back to the pre ACA coverages, or does the ACA stay in place until the replacement gets passed?
Old 07-11-2019, 07:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
So if the the ACA gets repealed without the replacement in place, would it automatically revert back to the pre ACA coverages, or does the ACA stay in place until the replacement gets passed?
I do not think we know. My suspicion is if you have a pre-existing condition, the insurance companies will have a new Tag Line....

"No soup Insurance for you!"
Old 07-11-2019, 07:23 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
It depends on your state. For all states technically HPPA (Health Insurance Portability) is still in effect, so theoretically IF insurers were offering coverage and you did not have a gap, you could still get coverage w/ preexisting conditions.

Some states (or in my case non state DC) have laws in place that will keep something going in the event it is repealed. Massachusetts is one. Washington DC is another. Both basically mandate coverage for everyone and in DCs case we run our own exchange so it would be business as usual, except for the 15% (in DC) of people who get subsidies. DC would also lose a ton of medicaid funding so that would be another big problem.

As far as your specific question it would be up to the last court receiving the appeal that if they ruled it unconstitutional how they structure and time a wind down of ACA. Could be immediate or over a period of years.

Best advise I ever got in my working years: "Don't worry about what you cannot control".
BeachOrCity is online now   Reply
Old 07-11-2019, 07:30 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I thought I just read yesterday that California approved health insurance for everyone. If ACA was ever repealed, I'd assume many states would follow suit.
We're above the threshold and pay $1300 a month for DW, so we're already there.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I thought I just read yesterday that California approved health insurance for everyone. If ACA was ever repealed, I'd assume many states would follow suit.
We're above the threshold and pay $1300 a month for DW, so we're already there.
Would think it depends on the color of the state.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:33 AM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachOrCity View Post
It depends on your state. For all states technically HPPA (Health Insurance Portability) is still in effect, so theoretically IF insurers were offering coverage and you did not have a gap, you could still get coverage w/ preexisting conditions.
I may be wrong, but I thought HIPAA only guaranteed coverage when moving from existing group coverage to individual. Guaranteed issue only covered business issued group, not self-employed or sole proprietor. There were no mandates or guarantees for individual coverage.
MichaelB is offline   Reply
Old 07-11-2019, 07:55 AM   #17

I'd like to see it repealed and replaced with something better - lower premiums, lower deductibles - as long as coverage for pre-existing conditions was mandated. Both premiums and deductibles got absolutely crazy when the ACA was implemented. (Unless you're getting subsidies, it's now essentially un-affordable for most - eg: cheapest Silver PPO I could find in our area was > $15K / yr premiums with $7K+ deductibles - per person. That's potentially $29K in one year and simply insane - unless you get hit by a bus, it's essentially like not having insurance at all - and you get to pay a minimum of $15K/yr just to protect against catastrophic loss). HC plans were in general far better pre-ACA on those fronts.

Ideally, we'd go back to a free market system with the requirement that pre-existing conditions be covered. Finally passing the ability to buy insurance across state lines would go a long way in helping increase options. That way, competition "should" keep premiums and deductibles a lot more reasonable than they became when the ACA was forced. That's at least partly because the insurance companies could then charge pretty much whatever they wanted as for the first time in American history, there was a product you "had" to buy. That type of "forced purchase" is not going to keep costs down..if anything, it's going to add gasoline to the fire and rates are going to (as they did) skyrocket.

That said, I have next to no confidence (OK, pretty much none whatsoever) that with the current political climate the two sides could ever agree on ANYTHING, let alone something as important as a replacement plan..so, like most of the rest of you - we'd be up a creek if the ACA does get struck down and there is nothing that replaces it..as someone said up-thread..blank years on the resume is going to make the "go back to work" option pretty darn tough.
24601NoMore is offline   Reply
Old 07-11-2019, 07:59 AM   #18

Politicians want to get re-elected so there will be no repeal of the ACA without a replacement that insures pre-existing conditions. The original idea that once someone has a great plan, it will be hard to take it away. This holds true for plans that are not so great also.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24601NoMore View Post
I'd like to see it repealed and replaced with something better - lower premiums, lower deductibles - as long as coverage for pre-existing conditions was mandated. Both premiums and deductibles got absolutely crazy when the ACA was implemented. (Unless you're getting subsidies, it's now essentially un-affordable for most - eg: cheapest Silver PPO I could find in our area was > $15K / yr premiums with $7K+ deductibles - per person. That's potentially $29K in one year and simply insane - unless you get hit by a bus, it's essentially like not having insurance at all - and you get to pay a minimum of $15K/yr just to protect against catastrophic loss). HC plans were in general far better pre-ACA on those fronts.

Ideally, we'd go back to a free market system with the requirement that pre-existing conditions be covered. Finally passing the ability to buy insurance across state lines would go a long way in helping increase competition. That way, competition "should" keep premiums and deductibles a lot more reasonable than they became when the ACA was forced.

That said, I have next to no confidence (OK, pretty much none whatsoever) that with the current political climate the two sides could ever agree on ANYTHING, let alone something as important as a replacement plan..so, like most of the rest of you - we'd be up a creek if the ACA does get struck down and there is nothing that replaces it..as someone said up-thread..blank years on the resume is going to make the "go back to work" option pretty darn tough.
There was no agreement between parties for the original bill, and there will be no need for agreement with the replacement.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
There was no agreement between parties for the original bill, and there will be no need for agreement with the replacement.
Well, unless there's some more legislative trickery again, like deciding a bill can be "deemed" to be passed, nothing is likely to pass both the House and Senate. The 60 vote threshold for Senate approval is quite unlikely in the current climate, as neither side wants to give the other a win..

Wish it were different, but if the (R)s couldn't get a "repeal and replace" passed when they had both the House and Senate, not sure I see how anything will get passed with split control of Congress..

24601NoMore is offline   Reply
Closed Thread