Join Early Retirement Today

Spouse going from marketplace to medicare ???
Old 08-08-2019, 06:18 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Spouse going from marketplace to medicare ???

Hello all, Me (59) Wife (65 on 9/30) We both have health insurance with the marketplace with subsidy.

Wife is signed up for Medicare and gap insurance.

So how do I remove only my wife from our marketplace plan.
You would think this would be a easy process this same scenario must happen many times ever day but I hear so many ways of doing this so we do not owe any unjustly paid subsidy.

The last I heard from a marketplace person is to call on 9/1 the first day of wife's coverage from medicare.

If anyone has done this please let me know what you know about it.

Thanks, Joe
burned out shift worker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2019, 06:49 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm no expert but I would call before 9/1 and tell them she is covered starting 9/1 with Medicare.

We just switched DS from ACA to Tricare and I believe we had to pay the for rest of the month, so if you call on 9/1 you may have to pay for September ACA and have duplicate coverage for the month.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:00 AM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hello, Yes you would think that but...........its just not that easy. Would like to hear from somebody that had to remove only one person from your muti person marketplace plan. Thanks, Joe
Old 08-08-2019, 07:30 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Will be real interested in seeing responses on this as well. I have this scenario coming up next year (turning 65).
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:37 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't know the answer. I used a MNsure broker to sign-up for ACA..(no cost for broker).. When I had my Medicare in force notice in hand around 60 days prior to my Medicare start, I went back to said broker handed him the notice and said I need to take care of this. Presto, changeo, it all worked perfectly. Switched seamlessly to Medicare and supplement.. just signed a couple pieces of paper.

Someone in their 60's could use a broker for enrollment in 20020 and beyond and leave it to the broker who does this stuff everyday. .
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:47 AM   #6

It may still be possible to get a broker's help -- they're always looking for business and could lend a hand if they think you might be a customer for ACA coverage in the coming years.

I went through this process a year ago, and it was so easy I can't remember what I did -- probably because I had a broker's assistance.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:49 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
It may still be possible to get a broker's help -- they're always looking for business and could lend a hand if they think you might be a customer for ACA coverage in the coming years.

I went through this process a year ago, and it was so easy I can't remember what I did -- probably because I had a broker's assistance.
Yes indeed and broker's make money off your Medicare supplement too, this time of year they aren't particularly busy.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I don't know the answer. I used a MNsure broker to sign-up for ACA..(no cost for broker).. When I had my Medicare in force notice in hand around 60 days prior to my Medicare start, I went back to said broker handed him the notice and said I need to take care of this. Presto, changeo, it all worked perfectly. Switched seamlessly to Medicare and supplement.. just signed a couple pieces of paper.

Someone in their 60's could use a broker for enrollment in 20020 and beyond and leave it to the broker who does this stuff everyday. .
+1. had the same situation. broker took care of everything. the one thing my broker did do was to switch the ACA insurance at the beginning of the year from being under my name and having DW listed under my insurance to having it listed under DW name. so when it came time to end my ACA insurance and switch to medicare it did not have any effect on DW ACA insurance.
broker contacted MNsure 2 months in advance to remove my ACA insurance. I would not wait till the 1st of the month when you get medicare.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:52 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

We haven had this yet... will in 2020... but I think I would call the insurer and cancel your DW's ACA coverage on the date that her Medicare coverage will start... and also not pay the ACA premiums starting then... I would think that should do it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:55 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by burned out shift worker View Post
Hello all, Me (59) Wife (65 on 9/30) We both have health insurance with the marketplace with subsidy.

Wife is signed up for Medicare and gap insurance.

So how do I remove only my wife from our marketplace plan.
You would think this would be a easy process this same scenario must happen many times ever day but I hear so many ways of doing this so we do not owe any unjustly paid subsidy.

The last I heard from a marketplace person is to call on 9/1 the first day of wife's coverage from medicare.

If anyone has done this please let me know what you know about it.

Thanks, Joe
I'm 58, wife turns 65 in September. Called our state's marketplace yesterday and explained that wife starts medicare 9/1. They removed her from the plan and adjusted our/my ACA subsidy. Net monthly premium went from $465 for the two of us to $480 for me. Her medicare/plan F HD/Part D = $135 + 76 +16.

BTW, I think you should call now. I called in July and Washington Health Plan Finder rep advised me to call back after 8/1.
OldConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:12 AM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hello, If I call now she could be off as of today. If she had her own plan or everyone is going off ACA that are on the same plan that is easy but for only one person to come off then what? Trust me what you guys are saying makes sense .....but its not the way it is now going to call Blue Cross to see what there say. Thanks, Joe
Old 08-08-2019, 09:32 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Let us know what they say. I'm pretty sure if you call today you can designate a termination date in the near future.... and the end doesn't have to be today.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:39 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Let us know what they say. I'm pretty sure if you call today you can designate a termination date in the near future.... and the end doesn't have to be today.
Called 8/7 and asked that wife be removed from plan effective 9/1 which is the start date of her medicare. Easy peasy.
OldConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:11 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Just what I thought!

Old 08-08-2019, 10:28 AM   #15

When you sign into your ACA account, there is a "life change" tab, I think that's what it says. This tab is for any change, new child, new job, change in income, divorce...also when spouse goes on Medicare. Also, a broker is best if you're uncomfortable with working within the account online.

We had a few changes over the years on ACA and took care of it this way. We now have a broker (I do feel more comfortable with a knowledgeable person making our changes.)

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:38 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I did this last year - it did not go well. I called in November to have the effective date of Dec 1 for hubbys medicare. I was told that I could not call in early, that I must call Nov 30. I called Nov 30, they said I had to call Dec 1st. I called Dec 1st and they said I should have called Nov 30. To drop a spouse you have to cancel your family coverage and apply for single coverage. I ended up having an extra month of coverage, but it wasn't worth the hassle to straighten it out, but that turned into a headache later on. My family coverage of $11.67 Yes!!! a month went to $278 just for me, boo. I then had to apply for single coverage in January, and then they totally screwed up the payments, cuz they had already taken the family coverage payment and then applied the single January payment to the December and showing me past due on my 2019 coverage. It was a pain to finally sort out and many phone calls, but eventually worked out. That price jump from family to single is shocking, and I have to continue to manage our income until I turn 65 this December. But I am very grateful to be able to have ACA as I couldn't have retired without it.
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:34 PM   #17

I looked into this a few months ago, but haven't followed up yet. I turn 65 in November this year. Unfortunately I am the primary person on the ACA plan. That means I have to call to be removed and have DW become the primary. My understanding was that I could have removed DW from the plan online if she was the one leaving. If I had known that I might have switched her to the primary position when renewing last year. But it's just an extra phone call.

All this info was on Healthcare.gov:
https://www.healthcare.gov/how-to-ca...ketplace-plan/
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:39 PM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hello all, I appears if you have a state marketplace plan removing someone from that plan is a easy task.

If you have to deal with a .gov plan it may be different.

Throwdownmyaceinthehole also experienced the same misinformation as I am.
I have been told last day of month of marketplace coverage, also been told first day of month of medicare coverage.

It cant be this hard.... I may try online but hate to screw this up.
Thanks, Joe
Old 08-08-2019, 04:52 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

IIRC, @ShockWaveRider has this situation. Perhaps he will see this thread.
If not, apologize upfront.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:27 PM   #20

Just went thru this with State exchange. Simply. Just a phone call one month prior to DW's start date for Medicare.

Only crappy part is that the cost for me remaining on ACA went up substantially. I will be paying close to 100% more, but for me alone!
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote