Join Early Retirement Today

Squamous cell skin cancer
Old 02-10-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Squamous cell skin cancer

Anyone had one of these buggers? I went to the dermatologist last week and he removed 3 little spots. Two were nothing but one on my left temple area was a squamous cell. The doc's assistant said he will either dig out a little more or just prescribe some cream to kill whatever cells that might remain, depending on how the area heals by my next appointment. I go back around the middle of March.

I had a basal cell taken off my arm 3 years ago so I was looking for another one of those. Not the end of the world, but I don't want to start getting this type. They can be serious. I have been using sun screen, although sometimes applied in a casual manner. I know one thing, I will be buying a 50 spf sunscreen from now on and apply it very carefully.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Sorry to hear about your problem but luckily it's an easy cure . I started using the sunscreen that you spray . It's much easier to apply . You have to stay healthy so when the market rebounds you can celebrate .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
You have to stay healthy so when the market rebounds you can celebrate .
Looks like that rebound may take a while.

Oh, and to save you the trouble...
Old 02-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, Dawg--sounds like an early catch and a fairly easy treatment, at least. Maybe you can mix something in with your daily meds?
Old 02-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Oh, and to save you the trouble...
Hey, how did u do that? I'll check this post again tomorrow. Might have too many meds in my system.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:19 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I hope this goes really well for you. I've heard that it usually does.

Ha
Old 02-10-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

It sounds like they found it early. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you in TX. Keep us informed....
Old 02-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Dawg,

Sounds like one of those things not to fret over too much but follow up on just to be sure. A good friend of mine went through a similiar situation and it came out OK. Please do keep us posted. Fingers are crossed here in Virginny too.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
I have been using sun screen, although sometimes applied in a casual manner. I know one thing, I will be buying a 50 spf sunscreen from now on and apply it very carefully.
SPF is pretty hard-core... literally. Might as well apply the white creme for babies that cures diaper rash.

What about sweat-proof & waterproof SPF30, rubbed in well along the hairline and any receding/thin spots (or so I've been told)? And a hat, too.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anything over SPF8 burns/stings my face, and on some areas gives me a rash. SPF8 will even do that if worn more than a day or two. When we go to Hawaii or Guam, I use the 8 for a couple days then switch to 4. Also wear a hat.

Sorry you got the Squamous cell, Dawg, but thank your lucky stars its not melanoma. With that, if they so much as take a biopsy, it can spread immediately, and its a nasty one. Yep, keep the sunscreen and hat on...

R
Old 02-10-2009, 10:33 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Anything over SPF8 burns/stings my face, and on some areas gives me a rash. SPF8 will even do that if worn more than a day or two. When we go to Hawaii or Guam, I use the 8 for a couple days then switch to 4. Also wear a hat.

Sorry you got the Squamous cell, Dawg, but thank your lucky stars its not melanoma. With that, if they so much as take a biopsy, it can spread immediately, and its a nasty one. Yep, keep the sunscreen and hat on...

R
If it had been melanoma, I would have gone into immediate thumb sucking mode. A buddy had one removed from his face and he had a massive chunk taken out. Had plastic surgery afterward. He also had to take interferon for a year which was horrible. He lost 30 lbs during the ordeal. But still doing well 5+ years later.

I wear a golf cap but have never tried a wide brim hat. Not crazy about one of those, but will do what I have to.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Years ago spouse used to hve those symptoms caused by allergies to para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA). She changed to a PABA-free formula and had no more problems.

I don't know if sunscreens still use PABA, but you might try looking for a common chemical in your brands of sunscreen and then switching to something else. Or try one of the heavy-duty brands like Bullfrog.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 02-11-2009, 12:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Years ago spouse used to hve those symptoms caused by allergies to para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA). She changed to a PABA-free formula and had no more problems.

I don't know if sunscreens still use PABA, but you might try looking for a common chemical in your brands of sunscreen and then switching to something else. Or try one of the heavy-duty brands like Bullfrog.
Thanks Nords. I'll check when I dig out the "Hawaii bag". We're heading to Hawaii again in late March, so will try some Bull Frog while there as well. I assume the ABC stores all have it. DD graduates in June and will be going to university in Hawaii, so I anticipate we'll be there even more often than before. (why bring her back to Tokyo when we can go have some fun in paradise)...thanks again.

R
Old 02-11-2009, 04:11 AM   #14

I had one removed that had both cancers (Basel and Squamous) in it (base of the nose). That was about 8 years ago and the surgery was something the called MOHLS - which I think is a pretty common way to do it now. They took out and amount around the area in question and then they test it to be sure the surrounding extra area is cancer free and then call it a day. I was not aware they had some ointment that kills cancer cells (but you learn something every day). Also had a new area looked at about a month ago. The Doctor did a biopsy first an it came back negative (just a facial Cyst). Unfortunately my DIL has had lots of skin cancers through out her life (all had been Basel). However, last December she had an area taken out and it has been determined to be melanoma. We are all hoping the follow ups will prove hopeful.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:14 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
I had one removed that had both cancers (Basel and Squamous) in it (base of the nose). That was about 8 years ago and the surgery was something the called MOHLS - which I think is a pretty common way to do it now. They took out and amount around the area in question and then they test it to be sure the surrounding extra area is cancer free and then call it a day. I was not aware they had some ointment that kills cancer cells (but you learn something every day). Also had a new area looked at about a month ago. The Doctor did a biopsy first an it came back negative (just a facial Cyst). Unfortunately my DIL has had lots of skin cancers through out her life (all had been Basel). However, last December she had an area taken out and it has been determined to be melanoma. We are all hoping the follow ups will prove hopeful.
Yes, hope your DIL has good results with her last episode. 3 years ago when the doc removed a basal cell from my arm, he went back and removed and area as you described above. That dr is no longer at the clinic so I have a different guy this time. I plan to tell him to do it that way if is the more reliable way to go. He scooped it out last week, so don't know if they can tell if they got it all on the first try or not. Oh well, he's the doc. I will go with what he says.

Here is a link to skin cancer treatments and surgery. Looks like they do have a chemotherapy cream that can be used.

http://www.ort-inc.com/skin.html
Old 02-11-2009, 07:25 AM   #16

Dawg54: Thanks for the link. At the bottom of the page is an additional link to the information on Melanoma which is informative too.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:31 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I had a squamous cell cancer on the top of one ear about 10 years ago. Symptom: it was a small sore that would not heal. My barber found it. They chopped off the cancer and no problem since. It is important to treat them or they can turn into something really bad.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:06 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
DD graduates in June and will be going to university in Hawaii, so I anticipate we'll be there even more often than before. (why bring her back to Tokyo when we can go have some fun in paradise)...thanks again.
Absolutely.

A number of our kid's older friends are at UH and in the dorms. Let us know if she wants more dirt info on specific dorms & classes. I've also met a few of the profs in the business & law schools if that applies.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:24 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

This should cut down on the amount of sunscreen I need.

Head Drape, Men's Sun Hat - Coolibar Inc.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:45 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I hope you never have to sneeze in that thing.