Join Early Retirement Today

SS and Medicare
Old 01-16-2019, 07:40 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

SS and Medicare

Ive been told there are no dumb questions, so here goes. I am having my medicare deducted from my monthly Social Security check. Is this deduction before, or after federal tax is calculated?

I figure somebody here will know. SS.Gov is fairly convoluted.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2019, 08:40 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll add another dumb ) question to your OP. Is medicare automatically taken out of SS or do you get to choose?

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:44 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Before tax, and you do get to choose.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:56 AM   #4

More dumb questions, is medicare cost based on your income? Assets?
I'm not answering my own questions as this link somewhat explains but I'm sure it gets complicated.
https://www.medicareinteractive.org/...d-asset-limits

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:12 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
I'll add another dumb ) question to your OP. Is medicare automatically taken out of SS or do you get to choose?
No choice per AARP: https://www.aarp.org/retirement/soci...s-deducted-ss/

Quote:
...if you are signed up for both Social Security and Medicare Part B — the portion of Medicare that provides standard health insurance — the Social Security Administration will automatically deduct the premium from your monthly benefit.

Medicare Part A, which covers hospitalization, is free for anyone who is eligible for Social Security, even if they have not claimed benefits yet.

If you are getting Medicare Part C (additional health coverage through a private insurer) or Part D (prescriptions), you have the option to have the premium deducted from your Social Security benefit or to pay the plan provider directly. If you want the deduction, you will have to contact your part C or D provider to arrange it.
This is what the SS office told us when we took SS at FRA after paying monthly for medicare.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:25 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
No choice per AARP: https://www.aarp.org/retirement/soci...s-deducted-ss/

This is what the SS office told us when we took SS at FRA after paying monthly for medicare.
I guess I got that wrong!
Old 01-16-2019, 11:05 AM   #7

If you use Medicare Part B or Part D, beware of income-related monthly adjustment amount (IRMAA): https://www.healthmarkets.com/resour...what-is-irmaa/
Old 01-17-2019, 10:45 AM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

My husband is paying IRMAA for Part D even though he did not sign up for Part D. He was told by Medicare that he has to pay the IRMAA Part D rather he sign up for it or not. It is straightly base on our total report income.
Bigbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:22 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm paying a large IRMAA. My Part B payment is $533 a month. I'm in Tier 5. It doesn't seem right as the chart says I should be paying my premium pus $74. I guess I need to call them and see if I can get it adjusted.
MichaelL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelL View Post
I'm paying a large IRMAA. My Part B payment is $533 a month. I'm in Tier 5. It doesn't seem right as the chart says I should be paying my premium pus $74. I guess I need to call them and see if I can get it adjusted.
See here https://medicare.com/about-medicare/...-part-b-irmaa/

Looks like $74 is only for part D, Part B is another $294.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:11 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
See here https://medicare.com/about-medicare/...-part-b-irmaa/

Looks like $74 is only for part D, Part B is another $294.
Right, I read that wrong, but $533 still seems high. As I remember I got a letter that I'd be paying $143, then they hit me with IRMAA and I got a bill for $437 then I got the next bill for $473 and the last one for $533. I've been getting Medicare about a year.
MichaelL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:39 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I guess I got that wrong!
The payment policy might have.changed fairly recently—when I applied for SS at FRA two years ago and asked about billing, he said so many people just wouldn’t pay the medicare invoice if it wasn’t withheld. So there might be history that prompted the mandatory withholding. (When DH applied in 2015 he might have had a choice.)

I could see that being a problem, plus the costs and headaches of invoicing and receiving individual medicare payments for millions of people on SS are now avoided.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:18 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
The payment policy might have.changed fairly recently—when I applied for SS at FRA two years ago and asked about billing, he said so many people just wouldn’t pay the medicare invoice if it wasn’t withheld. So there might be history that prompted the mandatory withholding. (When DH applied in 2015 he might have had a choice.)

I could see that being a problem, plus the costs and headaches of invoicing and receiving individual medicare payments for millions of people on SS are now avoided.
Yes, I’m sure that would be a big problem!
Old 01-20-2019, 02:57 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Medicare Part A, which covers hospitalization, is free

Though you do not have to pay for it out of pocket, it's probably not free. Just sayin...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:14 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Though you do not have to pay for it out of pocket, it's probably not free. Just sayin...
It is "free" along with a deductible......
Old 01-20-2019, 06:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
It is "free" along with a deductible......
Nope. Not free. Check any pay stub...