Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you currently or have you in the past used statins?
No, I don't now and have never used them. 58 51.79%
Yes, I use them. 49 43.75%
I did use them but discontinued because of side effects or other issues. 4 3.57%
I used them but no longer need them. No adverse effects noted. 1 0.89%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2010, 03:28 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Federal Blue Cross Blue Shield is $65 for a three month supply of medication (non generic ) . They mail three months at a time . I don't take statins so I'm not sure if the price is the same .
Thanks for the info that they mail 3 months at a time. Considering how small the savings is (and like you said, it might be less) I'd feel a lot better in case of evacuations if they mailed all 6 months at a time, so I think I'll pass.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2010, 03:44 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use Zocor .... For years I resisted doctors' prescriptions to take a statin.. Cholesterol was around 200-210. I tried everything, including vegetarian diet. I lost weight, but cholesterol did not go down. The drug has got it down to 175. I've never had a heart attack, however my father died at my present age (67). So, why risk it?

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Edited to add: When you get drugs by mail order, do they send all 3 months, or 6 months, or whatever at once? Or do they send them a little at a time?
All three months at a time.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I have had the worst diet in the world--bring on the bacon, cheese, etc., etc.--and my hdl, ldl, triglicerides numbers have always been exceptionally good, so I likely will never be prescribed statins. Thanks, mom and dad.

But what a miracle they are! DH's family, even those with perfect diets, like DH, have been taking them for years with great results.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #25

I take Pravastatin. $10 for the generic for 90 days. My insurance co-pay is $20 for a 90 day prescription so I don't even run it through the insurance, I just pay cash at my local grocery store.

Now I'm also on Niaspan ER, it's supposed to raise the good cholesterol. I was very concerned about the side effect of "flushing" but the pharmacist said to take a 81mg aspirin about 30 minutes before the Niaspan and I haven't felt any flushing at all. We are changing insurance on 6/1 and we will have a large deductible on prescriptions and then a 35% co-pay so I'm thinking that I may try OTC Niacin with the aspirin and see if I have any problem with flushing. Niaspan ER is $250 for 90 days while the OTC Niacin is $15-$20 for 90 days. I'll have to see how much flushing I can tolerate for $230 savings!

W2R,

Every mail order prescription we've dealt with sent the 90 day supply all at once. It's a very good system, all have been with free shipping and easy online refills.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I have had the worst diet in the world--bring on the bacon, cheese, etc., etc.--
Will you marry me
Old 05-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #27

No statins, but my doc has me on 1500mg Niacin a day, which runs about $15 a month.

Coach
Old 05-21-2010, 06:57 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Federal Blue Cross Blue Shield is $65 for a three month supply of medication (non generic ) . They mail three months at a time . I don't take statins so I'm not sure if the price is the same .
I don't take statins but we do get other prescription drugs via mail order and the cost is the same per 90 days supply as 30 days. Easy to order/re-order on-line. Each delivery is 90 days supply.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nothing here but I return to my Doc on June 7th and get to view the results of recent blood tests

I may be the only one here with less than stellar eating habits and my idea of actual
exercise is walking to the post office instead of taking the car the 5 blocks

If I was a betting man.......
Old 05-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Discontinuance because of adverse side effects

I imagine that many of you have already calculated this, but of 41 people who use or have used statins, roughly 5% discontinued because of adverse effects.

I don't know how that compares with other lifetime type drugs, but it does seem fairly low.

Another interesting aspect (at least to me) is that the majority of respondents are or have been users of statins. Even adding discontinuers to non-users still leaves the user category in the majority.

I wonder if any drug other than aspirin is more widely used?

Ha
Old 05-22-2010, 03:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

I wonder if any drug other than aspirin is more widely used?

Ha

Perhaps Synthroid, replacement hormone for the thyroid gland ?
Old 05-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #32

My bad chol is slightly high, and my "ratio" of good to bad chol is sometimes too low. Have resisted 2 PCP's trying to get me on statins. I think inflammation of arteries is the main cause of coronary events. I do take fish oil to increase my "good" chol (HDL).

My current PCP is taking statins himself.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

I could not answer the question as stated. I have never used prescription statins. I am using red yeast rice. In fact I am part of a year long study to test the effectiveness of this supplement. So far I am please with the results I am seeing.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I take Lipitor. There is no generic brand for it. I haven't dared switch because it seems to being doing what it's designed to do: keep my coronary arteries clear. You see, at age 55 I had angioplasty with 3 stents. Then two years ago I had chest pain, which turned out to be an expen$ive case of indigestion, went to the ER, had a bunch of test, culminating in an angiogram. My coronary arteries were perfectly fine; no noticeable clogging.

Since starting on Lipitor, I have run 6 marathons and a bunch of half marathons (one last Saturday), done a 200-mile bike race and a bunch of century rides. and completed 6 triathlons, eaten much better than before, and kept my weight (more or less) lower. Maybe these things have had a greater effect than the Lipitor, but I'm not taking any chances.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:15 PM   #35

My last test of my total cholesterol was 240 but my HDL is/was about 70 (good) and all my triglyceride readings have been very low(very good). I decided to ignore it for a few years but this year I am taking Niacin 500 mg a night. I've been on it for two months. Soon I will get my blood cholesterol checked again and if it hasn't improved enough I will go to a doc and get the statins.

I had hoped to change my diet sufficiently to lower the cholesterol but discovered I am not disciplined enough. Oh well, good to know. At least the exercise is on track. But that alone hasn't helped with weight loss.

Has anyone experienced weight gain since you started taking the statins?

Oh, and I take a baby aspirin every night too.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:19 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
No statins, but my doc has me on 1500mg Niacin a day, which runs about $15 a month.

Coach
What improvement, if any, have you experienced?
Old 05-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #37

No, I do not take any medications at all. I am currently 57 and feel very lucky about not taking any medications. My DH's cholesterol is higher, but so far his doc has not put him on any statins. He is currently on 2 other medications though.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:39 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
Oldbabe, between adding an adult beverage each day and 1500mg Niacin, total cholesterol is down by 8 percent , HDL is up 10 percent and LDL down 20 percent. My Doc uses the VAP cholesterol test, and that's gone from 4 measurements outside the desirable range to 1 just barely outside the range.

Coach
Old 05-22-2010, 11:25 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post

Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
My HDL has always been in the low 20s, I guess due to genetics. After talking (nagging) my PCP, I went on 1500 mg/day. My last few blood tests had my HDL between 39-41. Pretty good improvement, IMHO.

Even though my total cholesterol was under 165, she finally put me on Simvastatin. Since I'm type 2 diabetic, she wants my LDL under 100. But I'm continuing the niacin (down to 1000 mg/day). Haven't had a blood test since I went on the Simvastatin. It will be interesting to see what the results are.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:20 AM   #40

Rich, what are the benefits of taking statins?

I've seen headlines of studies saying that a fair number of them lower cholestorel, but don't actually seem to reduce the bad events that we associate with high cholestorel.

Of course, most newspaper articles on medical studies are completely worthless, so I don't know if the facts actually match up to what the headlines have said.

I've often wondered that if people were paying for these things themselves, rather than a 3rd party, would most people decide they were worth the money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Any doctor doing that is not practicing sound medicine. Statins should only be used for selected patients where the numbers and risk factors are such that the risks are outweighed by the benefits.

For primary prevention in a healthy person, they are not indicated.