Statins and Exercise

IOW- In folks taking statins, the study found no significant benefit from the exercise program in it's endpoints- aerobic fitness and activity of an aerobic muscle enzyme. This study was not designed to look at other possible benefits of exercise in statin users, like cardiac risk reduction etc., so IMHO the findings were perhaps not presented in proper context by the blogger.

FWIW- My personal experience does NOT agree with this study (i.e. no aerobic benefit with exercise). Over years on same statin dose my aerobic fitness (e.g. 5k run time) clearly improves with my exercise training cycles, and declines with breaks in training (e.g. Holiday travels & celebrations ;)). No guarantee I may not develop statin muscle issues in the future, but most info suggest prob I won't.

LOL, I guess your interpretation of what the study concluded is different than mine, but glad you are having success with your exercise program with or without statins.

Just to prove how confusing this is, here is another article. This one claims statins may slow down the aging process:

Statins may slow human aging by protecting against telomere shortening | ScienceBlog.com

My doctor a couple years ago was wanting me to take Lipitor for the sole protection against the "widow maker" as he said there is very little protection in this area for late 40s to mid 50s men. I declined. I liked your HDL/Trig. formula Chuckanut, if for nothing else it puts me in a good state with a ratio under 2. I know there are few simple cures for anything, but I swear my religious conviction to daily oatmeal, walnuts, and fresh strawberry concoction has made great changes in my numbers. HDL way up LDL and Tri's down, BP was creeping into the mid 120's is back to 116/79. On no meds at all exempt for COQ10 and Krill Oil. I think I have discovered the "fountain of middle age" at almost 50. The sad part is I am not doing all this for health, but for my wallet. I am a cheap bastard and don't want to waste my money on a bunch of prescription meds with a 5k deductible.

Just to prove how confusing this is, here is another article. This one claims statins may slow down the aging process:

Statins may slow human aging by protecting against telomere shortening | ScienceBlog.com

The great thing about statins is that they reduce risks for cardiovascular disease significantly and are generally safe for most people.

Really?

I don't think the [-]drug companies[/-] medical establishment will be happy until everyone is on statins...

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.....

My Dr. prescribed 20mg of Lovastatin taken daily along with 81mg aspirin. My total cholesterol level was slightly above 200 with a strong family history of arteriosclerosis and heart attack.

I've been following this regimen for for several years and it has not slowed me down at all. I consider myself very active and exercise daily at a pretty intense level. I haven't had any of the muscle aches or other side effects sometimes associated with the statins. I'm 52 yo now and my total cholesterol level is somewhere around 151. Just lucky.... I guess! :dance:

Back
Top Bottom