Statins and memory loss.

I think the key to improving my health and reducing my pain is to participate in medical research studies!

Sign up twice. If you get the 60% improvement both times, you will be at 120% capacity! Better knees than ever!

-ERD50

ERD50,
I base my health decisions on results not statistics or studies. If xyz works for me, and doesn’t work for you then so be it. I, too, am a skeptic, of all things. If I try something and have a positive result, then continue to have a positive result, I say, “wait maybe there’s something to this”. So, why not continue? If there are no positive results, I change.

I am an informed consumer and am not afraid of trying something out of the norm. Again, geeze, I feel like a broken record here, I take responsibility for my own health, and am not dependent on a doctor. I am more informed about my body and how it feels than they are, and that’s just common sense.

It would not matter what I do nor the results that have been produced, you would still discount them. What confuses me is why you are so concerned about what it is I have chosen to do. I am not trying to convince you to do this, nor anyone else.

I do get tested once a month, same clinic, same lab to keep things consistent, and have marked improvement. Is it the vitamins, the massages, or the bacon and eggs at breakfast? I really do not care, my LDL levels are down significantly.

Instead of me changing what is working for me, perhaps you should sacrifice your body and do your own study. Then we would have two.

As we say in Thailand, “up to you”.

Billy
RetireEarlyLifestyle.com

Billy, I don't interpret ERD's comments quite as harshly as you did ("geeze, I feel like a broken record here," and "It would not matter what I do... you would still discount them," and "What confuses me is why you are so concerned about what it is I have chosen to do," and "Instead of me changing what is working for me, perhaps you should sacrifice your body and do your own study. Then we would have two.").

Not sure where your "heat" is coming from here, but to me, ERD is reasonably expressing an alternative (perhaps conventional) perspective where he chooses to rely on the large, collective, quantified experience predominantly to make his decisions, rather than solely on individual anecdote. If you choose otherwise, "up to you" as you say, but the topic was offered up for discussion here in good faith by all parties.

We know that for the things we are talking about here (cholesterol levels in otherwise healthy individuals, etc.) even the best compared to the worst outcomes only vary by a couple of percent per year. So a person could do anything or nothing and 98% of the time it wouldn't make any difference in a given year; over 10 or 15 years it starts to get my attention, at least.

So I know you'll continue to feel comfortable with your approach, and I suspect ERD will do the same. FWIW, I tend to pay very close attention to the collective experience myself, but have been known to deviate when idiosyncratic factors stare me in the face.

Just a third party perspective.

Cheers,

ERD50,
As we say in Thailand, “up to you”.

Billy

What Rich said.

BTW, I'm assuming that Thai phrase "up to you" is not loosely translated as "up your's"?) ;) - I AM just kidding, I hope you are laughing ;)

It would not matter what I do nor the results that have been produced, you would still discount them.

I'm not sure why you say that. I did question the results, as I have seen near the change you mentioned, with no known changes in lifestyle/dosages, etc. You claim to be a skeptic, it seems like a reasonably skeptical question to me. That's all.

What I will discount though, is that anecdotal 'evidence' should mean much of anything to anyone. It may indicate that a large scale study is in order, so that we can better understand the efficacy/risk on the general population.

For example, someone mentioned statins and ED. The first few studies I found indicated that some people had improvements with their ED while on statins. Clearly, individual results can vary. I put more weight on measured results based on thousands of people, under somewhat controlled conditions, over what a few people report under uncontrolled conditions. Just seems reasonable to me.

What confuses me is why you are so concerned about what it is I have chosen to do. I am not trying to convince you to do this, nor anyone else.

I don't recall saying you shouldn't be doing this. It is your choice, you are an adult. And I didn't get the impression you were trying to 'sell' anyone on the idea, you were just communicating your story. Fair enough.

As Rich pointed out, this is public forum. We discuss viewpoints and observations.

My observation, based on this discussion, is still that you (and some others) set a low threshold of proof for 'alternative' treatments, and a high threshold of proof for 'conventional' treatments. That is your prerogative, and it is my prerogative to point out that there may be some dangers to that approach. People will choose to do what they want, but I just like to get both sides of the story out there.

You accused me of not being open-minded towards alternate treatments. I just don't see that, as I am totally willing to accept an 'alternative' treatment if there is data to back it up. Perhaps you are close-minded towards conventional treatments?

-ERD50

The first few studies I found indicated that some people had improvements with their ED while on statins. Clearly, individual results can vary.

-ERD50

Boy is this an opportunity to hijack a thread?>:D

Boy is this an opportunity to hijack a thread?>:D

Since so few of us can remember what the original topic was, I'm not sure it can be called a 'hi-jacking'! ;)

Can you loose something you forgot you owned?

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom