Stem Cells?

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Recently I attended a short seminar given by a doctor on the use of 'adult' stem cells (as compared to embryonic stem cells). I found it fascinating and am wondering if we are on the cusp of some huge medical breakthroughs or if this is just a lot of hype/snake oil.

Here's a brief synopsis of what I heard. By harvesting and using your own treated stem cells you avoid the potential for rejection. A good source for stem cells is your fat cells. Other sources are blood, skin, dental tissue (e.g. if you already are having a tooth extracted), etc.

These harvested stem cells are then treated with growth factors and can then be used to treat a variety of issues -- everything from COPD, Crohn's disease, diabetes, arthritis, wound healing, deafness, blindness, and cancers to aesthetic concerns such as baldness and [smoothing and filling-out] aging skin.

Due to pressure from Big Pharma and bio-ethicists, etc. stem cell work in the U.S. has pretty much stalled. Much work is being done elsewhere in the world. He reported that they are even using stem cells to grow teeth in England.

As a lot of this stem cell work is being done in other countries where they are not as regulated as in the U.S., there are definitely some 'shady' outfits (that have sprung up to take advantage of susceptible people) dealing in stem cell therapies and that it is up to the consumer to do due diligence.

He also showed this video YouTube - ‪The Skin Gun‬‏ and said that the experimental skin gun was only approved for use on ~10 patients, so the state trooper was fortunate to be in the right place at the right time to get this cutting-edge treatment.

As I stated earlier, I was fascinated and am wondering if anyone here has any further information to share on stem cells (positives or negatives)?

omni

we have been using stem cells successfully in the equine veterinary industry for years. mainly treating osteo arthritis and tendon injuries
prp (protein rich plasma) is the latest incarnation and I understand that oral surgeons are now using a similar product to help stimulate regrowth of jaw bone after various treatments
the real deal we are missing out on is an injectable product labeled Adequan for dogs and horses, but sold under a different label for people in Europe. It is an amazing drug! would probably put all of the sellers of anti inflammatory drugs (aspirin, advill, excedrin, etc) out of biz here!

Oh, thanks. That reminds me of a couple more things.

At the seminar, the doctor stated that major equine applications of stem cell therapies are already being made (as people who own and race horses are usually well-heeled and interested in keeping their animals in the best condition).

Also he stated that quite a bit has been done with dogs and stem cell therapies (as there's less Big Pharma intrusion in animal care).

omni

Due to pressure from Big Pharma and bio-ethicists, etc. stem cell work in the U.S. has pretty much stalled. Much work is being done elsewhere in the world. He reported that they are even using stem cells to grow teeth in England.
Uh, I thought all stem cell research resistance was from the religious right. Is he saying big pharma doesn't want research on the adult stem cells most of the religious folks don't oppose? So they want the benefits to go to overseas corporations?

I'm far from an expert, but the way I understood it...stem cell therapies (if they ever get them approved and implemented here) would hugely undercut the big money that Big Pharma is now making on meds/ supplies/tratements that are used for ongoing/maintenance purposes on chronic diseases (like diabetes, etc.).

I think if the FDA doesn't approve these adult stem cell therapies for U.S. use, then the insurance companies will not cover them, which effectively stops usage in this country.

(If I'm way off-base, someone please correct me. My medical/pharma knowledge is quite sketchy which is why I posted this in the first place.)

omni

I'm far from an expert, but the way I understood it...stem cell therapies (if they ever get them approved and implemented here) would hugely undercut the big money that Big Pharma is now making on meds/ supplies/tratements that are used for ongoing/maintenance purposes on chronic diseases (like diabetes, etc.).

I think if the FDA doesn't approve these adult stem cell therapies for U.S. use, then the insurance companies will not cover them, which effectively stops usage in this country.

(If I'm way off-base, someone please correct me. My medical/pharma knowledge is quite sketchy which is why I posted this in the first place.)

omni
Could be. Makes you want to put a gun to their heads ;)

Could be. Makes you want to put a gun to their heads ;)

Stem cell research is an unstoppable force: in 20 years everything will be different. They just used them to create teeth!

timestranscript.com - Scientists create teeth using mouse stem cells | By Tan Ee Lyn - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada

Also, they do not need to use the controversial sources of stem cells any more. Hang on to your hats - the world is changing!

Btw, I highly recommend the Nova Show - you can download it on Netflix - called Can We Live Forever? Many int'g topics on how the health world will be revolutionized in the next few decades and covers very realistic topics such as lab grown organs, etc.

Fascinating stuff...

Whisper9999 said:
Stem cell research is an unstoppable force: in 20 years everything will be different. They just used them to create teeth!

timestranscript.com - Scientists create teeth using mouse stem cells | By Tan Ee Lyn - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada

Also, they do not need to use the controversial sources of stem cells any more. Hang on to your hats - the world is changing!

Btw, I highly recommend the Nova Show - you can download it on Netflix - called Can We Live Forever? Many int'g topics on how the health world will be revolutionized in the next few decades and covers very realistic topics such as lab grown organs, etc.

Fascinating stuff...

I wonder how they are able to accomplish all these fascinating medical discoveries and still can't get me a full head of hair!

I wonder how they are able to accomplish all these fascinating medical discoveries and still can't get me a full head of hair!

You can have a full head of hair if you have the cash!

No, I know what you mean: they're still struggling to figure out how to handle viruses. It's kind of remarkable how there is little on the horizon for that.

omni550 said:

omni

I they can start growing kidneys etc..
The FDA etc. Can either get on the wagon or be left behind. People will just go to a kidney greenhouse in Iceland or Cuba or wherever and get. Regulations be damned.. So no worries there. They'll have to allow it at some point soon after that

Back
Top Bottom