Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-05-2011, 07:19 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was surprised and saddened that this news came out so soon after he stepped down (late August?). I was hoping he would have more time with his family.

If you have not read this, I highly recommend it. If you have read it, please re-read it to honor Mr Jobs:

Steve Job’s Stanford Commencement Address - AppleMatters

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2011, 07:19 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I don't think it is possible to overhype his accomplishments.
For all the talk and gnashing of teeth about overpaid CEOs these days, Jobs was one of the few who was unquestionably worth every penny. When you think of the value he added for Apple customers, employees and shareholders -- from its near-death 15 years ago to the highest market capitalization out there -- it boggles the mind. Any compensation he got, no matter how massive, was still a drop in the bucket compared to the value he added.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Jobs + Wozniak = Edison
I agree.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #24

What a great way to go: Working at something he had such enormous passion about until just about the end. That's what I call a wonderful life and death. Lucky man.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

If you have not read this, I highly recommend it. If you have read it, please re-read it to honor Mr Jobs:

Steve Job’s Stanford Commencement Address - AppleMatters

-ERD50
I have seen it before but I was inspired to watch it again tonight.

Really worth watching.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

A true visionary and passionate man. He will be missed greatly.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
A true visionary and passionate man. He will be missed greatly.
Here's what the president had to say (certainly we won't make *this* one political!):

Quote:
The world has lost a visionary. And there may be no greater tribute to Steve's success than the fact that much of the world learned of his passing on a device he invented.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 10-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Here's what the president had to say (certainly we won't make *this* one political!):
True that many heard of his death on devices he invented. DW heard about it on her iphone and told me while I was downloading a movie from my imac to my ipad
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
For this geek, watching Job' perform his magic at the Macintosh launch, back in 1984 was better than any rock concert, I'd ever been to before or since.

I abandoned Apple products shortly after Jobs was fired from Apple.

I don't think it is possible to overhype his accomplishments.
I agree. Steve was a geeks geek. He knew how to inspire creative people.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:48 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was sad when I heard about his death even though I expected it. As for pancreatic cancer my sister died from it last year the day after Labor Day. By the time they discovered it she was too far gone. She lasted about 2 weeks. Apparently Steve had a form that if discovered could be treated for awhile. I found a research paper that noted that high fructose syrup really feeds the cancer. Sugar feeds cancer, HFS even more so, the paper equated it to smoking cigarettes. Needless to say I read labels and try not to eat the stuff even though it is ubiquitous throughout. Google HFS and cancer. I've also heard that pancreatic cancer is on the increase.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here's what the president had to say ... :

Quote:
The world has lost a visionary. And there may be no greater tribute to Steve's success than the fact that much of the world learned of his passing on a device he invented.
That really says something - very fitting.

How many people could something like this be said about? Samuel Morse maybe? Marconi? Philo Farnsworth? Possibly whoever invented the first printing presses used for newspapers?

Pretty rarefied territory. And all accomplished by 56.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
I'm sorry to hear it. He sure gave Bill Gates a run for his money.

It's amazing how much pancreatic cancer has been in the news lately. The leader of the Canadian opposition party just died of it, I've heard of two or three others in just the last month. My BIL has it but seems to be doing well on chemo for now.

It's sad to see the great ones go.
Jack Layton had prostate cancer. He did not reveal the origin of the "new cancer" that killed him. Do you have some inside knowledge?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
How many people could something like this be said about? Samuel Morse maybe? Marconi? Philo Farnsworth? Possibly whoever invented the first printing presses used for newspapers?
Morse and Marconi were my first thoughts. But in reality, most people learned of Morse's death not directly from a telegraph, but from a newspaper which reported a story that they received via telegraph.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:07 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For all the talk and gnashing of teeth about overpaid CEOs these days, Jobs was one of the few who was unquestionably worth every penny. When you think of the value he added for Apple customers, employees and shareholders -- from its near-death 15 years ago to the highest market capitalization out there -- it boggles the mind. Any compensation he got, no matter how massive, was still a drop in the bucket compared to the value he added.

Yes at $1/year salary, he could get quite literally a one billion percent pay raise and still be vastly underpaid. On the other hand how lucky he was to have a job where I am sure he felt at $1 he was overpaid.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I just reread his biography . I had no idea he started Pixar . He was truly a genius and one of a kind . He will be missed !
He wasn't involved in starting pixar (if i am remembering correctly).
He did a lot to resurrect it though, it was in dire straits there for a while..
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:53 AM   #36

I recently read a very good book about Steve Jobs -

Amazon.com: The Steve Jobs Way: iLeadership for a New Generation (9781593156398): Jay Elliot, William L. Simon: Books

Written by the former Senior Vice President of Apple.

I've never had a Mac computer (my son has 3!) but I've had a variety of the iPods and I love each of them, early Shuffle, Nano and an iPod Touch. The Nano is still my daily pal, the iPod Touch is just the slickest device in the house!

I love Steve's presentations and product demos. He was always so proud to show off some new device we all didn't know we needed but soon desired.

I'd like to find earlier presentations and watch them again. I bet they are on the Apple site or YouTube.

Purron, he was born 3 days after me.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:07 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Jobs is the Edison of our generation. His gift was being able to combine a sense of what people would want and how they would use technology with what was technologically possible. The other thing that is impressive is that despite his incredible accomplishments it didn't seem to go to his head and he seemed to keep it real (at least as far as his public persona).
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:17 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

You have to wonder about the timing - exactly one day after the announcement of the new iphone. It's almost like he was waiting.
pimpmyretirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:28 AM   #39
gone traveling

I am really saddened over this, honestly brought tears to my eyes. A genius like him will not come along again for a very long time. RIP Steve
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:08 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Very sad. An interesting article on where he would fall among the giants: Where Steve Jobs Ranks Among the Greats - Yahoo! News