Strange, suddenly allergic to deodorant

wolf

Full time employment: Posting here.
Help. After 50+ years, have become allergic to deodorant.

Googled this topic. Found other's with same problem. Red, burning, sensation after application. Theories as to the cause, for some unknown reason, We become allergic to deodorant.

One suggestion, said to try a different brand, This worked fine for 2 or 3
days, then red, burning, came back.

Anyone else out there have this same problem. Any suggestions.....:greetings10:

Googled this topic. Found other's with same problem. Red, burning, sensation after application. Theories as to the cause, for some unknown reason, We become allergic to deodorant.

No suggestions but you can go to your local natural food store and you should find selections there without the chemical that you are likely allergic to. Try Chrystal, you can get it anywhere and it has no aluminum, no chlorohydrate. You should be fine with it.

How awful! Please, keep trying different brands!

Also, while it is still red and burning, try just showering with plenty of water and soap several times a day instead of using deodorant. Really, a clean, freshly washed body does not stink. It takes a while. :D

I am sure there are organic/herbal remedies for B.O., but my opinion is that they would be a complete waste of time and money.

Is it deodorant you need or antiperspirant?

I ask because I perspire a lot less since work. Showers and basic soap work for me. I found a nice cologne that I spray (once, on the chest) if the situation calls for it.

Try using brands that don't have a antiperspirant as one of the ingredients.

I am allergic to all of the antiperspirants but deodorant is ok.

I'm allergic to the brands that have a specific ingredient based on aluminum. I just check the ingredients to make sure it doesn't mention aluminum and I'm good.

I have to get the one that says "sensitive skin".

I have to use Dove brand sensitive skin unscented. It's either that or nothing. Nothing is usually a perfectly acceptable alternative -- showering daily works fine for me.

I have been using deodorants for many many years...

A few years ago I did have a problem... it was not bad, but sometime I had itching etc... then one day I put it on and WOW... major burning... like I applied jalapeno juice on my arms... washed my pits really good...

Did go to another brand and was OK... for awhile, used an odorless one... I have gone back to Arm & Hammer and I am good the majority of the time... still, sometimes I get a major itch going...

Is deodorant really necessary?

I thought I had the same problem…eventually traced it to our new energy saver
washer…low water use….since I can't fill the tub or use more water, I use the
added (additional) rinse feature and rinse the h*ll out of them…especially my underwear :angel:
….and things are MUCH better.

While I have NO IDEA if this could be your problem, I thought that it might
be worth throwing "out there"!!:greetings10:

I had this happen to me more than 20 years ago, suddenly allergic to other fragrances too. Since then I have used Mitchum unscented as I discovered it used a different active ingredient from most other deodorants. YMMV

Worth a try....

Got similar (alergic?) reaction few months ago.
Now I either go without or use Mitchum unscented roll-on.

First year out of college, I developed sore red bumps in my pits. My roommate told me she knew someone that had that, and they died! So I went to the doctor who said not to use roll-on deodorant, just the spray stuff. That took care of the problem right away.

I've had this problem for many years. So, I decided to use deodorant made for women. This has been working just fine and I usually smell like a freshly washed bedsheet smothered in Downy fabric softener. If you are a guy you might want to try this. If you are a women, you probably have already tried this.

Anyhow, if this deodorant problem doesn't get resolved, you might want to consider using duct tape.

Exact same problem. Now I use Toms of Maine (scented) and never a problem since.

Thanks for the informative replies. Interesting others have had the same
problem. Not something one would bring up in casual conversation.

Will try some of the suggestions.:LOL:

Me too. Switched to dove sensitive from degree. I was wondering if it was heat rash or an infection. Nope still happened with fresh tube after the initial rash cleared up. Makes me wonder if they changed inactive ingredients.

Thanks for the informative replies. Interesting others have had the same
problem. Not something one would bring up in casual conversation.

Will try some of the suggestions.:LOL:

wolf,

How about trying all the suggestions and then letting us know the results.

Years ago I had this problem.....tried every store brand......Doc recommended Almay.....buy it on the internet......works perfect.....never had a problem.....then tried store brands, again.....problem came right back so I'm back to Almay......try it.....I'll bet it helps. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom