Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Moving or changing jobs often helps but is much easier said than done. Late 40's, kids in local school, social network, etc. If changing jobs involves moving it means change for everyone in the family.

I always felt US companies were keenly aware of how few alternatives really exist for middle age employees, and exploit that by dumping the most stressful tasks and jobs on them, along with the message: do it or you’re gone. This is an inevitable consequence of a business culture where a few employees achieve a financial reward on a scale never seen before.
I believe this to be true as well.

I am fortunate to have been forced to become a contractor. My stress level (and blood pressure) is way down. I am not afraid of change or losing a job any more. I sleep better. I make more money (a welcome bonus, but secondary).

Contracting is not accepted very well in the US, but it is part of the culture in Great Britain, Canada and the outside world.

Buy your freedom!

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Contracting is not accepted very well in the US, but it is part of the culture in Great Britain, Canada and the outside world.
Yeah, but the health insurance differences make it *much* easier to be a contractor elsewhere. When health insurance is tied to permanent full-time employment as it usually is in the US, it makes accepting nonbenefited contract work untenable for many.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:20 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Correct I really wish they would separate healthcare + job.Let folks purchase their own,or have a public option,choice of course.Stop calling a public option Obamacare or Romney care.But we can"t be grownups because their is to much money in the political system.Take care of stress issues,cause no one else does.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFPMatt View Post
Wow- this really hits home. As much as I like my work, I believe the stress of the job is slowly killing me. W2R's point about Sundays is so true. I don't remember the last good night's sleep I've had going into a Monday. And the strange thing is that I don't dread going to work... but there's no getting it out of my head. One of my greatest fears is that I'll eventually be able to retire but won't be healthy enough to enjoy myself the way I want.
It took several weeks for the 'Sunday PM blues' to go away.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm counting on using "stress leave" as an excuse to retire and still collect full salary. We have a sweet deal here at w*rk: at retirement, you get paid out 40% of unused sick time, to a maximum of about 2.5 months.

However, it was pointed out to me that this is a stupid thing to do. I could get paid 100% of my sick leave for a total of 6 months if I could find some way to go out on medical leave. That, along with my 8 weeks of vacation time annually (x2) , could delay my retirement for nearly a year and my pension would be that much higher.

Stress leave sounds just perfect. Although I'm not stressed, I'm pretty sure I can fake it.

As the same wise person pointed out, the sick leave we have is part of our benefit package and is no different from vacation time, so why not use it.

So why do I feel that this is cheating the system?
Old 10-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
Stress leave sounds just perfect. Although I'm not stressed, I'm pretty sure I can fake it.

As the same wise person pointed out, the sick leave we have is part of our benefit package and is no different from vacation time, so why not use it.

So why do I feel that this is cheating the system?
Duh, well because you will be. It's because of people like you that are causing some of the problems with employment in the world. Sheeeesh!

Yeah, you have a right to it.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Duh, well because you will be. It's because of people like you that are causing some of the problems with employment in the world. Sheeeesh!

Yeah, you have a right to it.

There have been times when I should have stayed home but chose instead to come to work (e.g. took only 4 days off post-hysterectomy instead of 6 weeks). My choice, I know. I could have used it all up if I had elected to do so, but I didn't.

It's a benefit I'm entitled to and is covered by the company's insurance.

But, that said, I may just take the pay-out. These guys have been good to me and I don't want to do anything underhanded (unless they p*ss me off).
Old 10-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
It's a benefit I'm entitled to and is covered by the company's insurance.
I have a lot of insurance also, Health, Auto, Home etc.. But I don't try to justify using it with phony claims.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I have a lot of insurance also, Health, Auto, Home etc.. But I don't try to justify using it with phony claims.

Yeah - you're right.

I know it deep down in my gut. If I don't do the right thing, I'm sure karma will get me.

The pay-out will feel much better in the long run.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

On the other hand, a lot of people will quit their jobs and claim a year or more of unemployment insurance before retirement, even though they have no intention of looking for job or returning to work. That's one type of insurance that some people don't seem to have any compunction in using, it seems.

This conversation is stressing me out. Maybe I need to go on sick leave.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Stress does affect the immune system. It may also affect cancer progression.
I've wondered about whether this impacted the progression of some of my cancers. (Cancer-free now, thank God). And last night, my husband mentioned the death of Steve Jobs. I asked about his age--identical to mine. Reality check!