Join Early Retirement Today

Stroke Center Accessibility
Old 02-25-2010, 07:29 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Stroke Center Accessibility

I suppose because of my Atrial Fibrillation I'm more sensitive to this issue but Half of Americans Live More Than an Hour Away from Lifesaving Stroke Center.

Quote:
Nearly 2 million neurons die each minute a stroke is left untreated, making it a race to recognize symptoms so that lifesaving "clot-busting" drugs can be administered. Forty-five percent of Americans - 135 million people - are more than an hour away from primary stroke centers, the facilities that are best equipped to care for them if they are stricken by the condition
or skip the article and go straight to the Stroke Center Locator.

Quote:
his directory is provided as a convenient resource to catalogue U.S. medical centers that offer treatment for acute ischemic stroke.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
gone traveling

Lucky to have one 4.7 miles away (about a 10 minute drive).

However, my concern is who will drive me (or recognize I'm having an attack or even call for an ambulance)?
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I didn't realize that there is a 6.4% chance that the tPA drug will kill you by itself and a 50% chance of it helping. Hope a better drug or procedure is developed. Maybe I don't want to move to remote locations, only 5 minutes from a medical center.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
...or skip the article and go straight to the Stroke Center Locator.
Our local hospital (<1 mile from my house--I can drag myself there!) recently (almost a year ago)was accredited as a primary stroke center and is not on that list, so you may be closer to one than you think.

Here's a 2/15/2010 big fat list of all the organizations the Joint Commission has certified in many specialties:

http://www.jointcommission.org/NR/rd...MasterList.pdf