Stupid diet tricks

After looking at diet advice and what the experts had to say, there were so many contradictions, backtracks and funny science that I started reading the actual studies. Of course, if you do that, you realize that they're all a bunch of crap.

I have recently watched two films on how to improve our American diet.
One is Fathead which seems to favor the low-carb, lots of meat, full fat dairy, eggs approach. The other is Forks over Knives which favors a plant based diet consisting of minimal processing other than cooking, and discourages meat and dairy products.

Two very opposite points of view on diet, and both with experts to back up their claims.

What is interesting is where they are in agreement:

1. Government recommendations on healthy eating are heavily influenced by the food industry.

2. Neither diet permits adding sugar to our food.

3. Both were unhappy with the trend towards removing fat from dairy products.

One film claimed that removing the fat from dairy products raised those nasty carbs. I did some comparison and that is correct. Example: low-fat yogurt has almost twice the carbs of full fat yogart.

The other film claimed that removing fat from dairy products raised the protein levels (the film is critical of animal protein.) Again, I found that to be true. Low fat yogurt has about 50% more protein that full fat yogurt.

I have recently watched two films on how to improve our American diet.
One is Fathead which seems to favor the low-carb, lots of meat, full fat dairy, eggs approach. The other is Forks over Knives which favors a plant based diet consisting of minimal processing other than cooking, and discourages meat and dairy products.

Two very opposite points of view on diet, and both with experts to back up their claims.

What is interesting is where they are in agreement:

1. Government recommendations on healthy eating are heavily influenced by the food industry.

2. Neither diet permits adding sugar to our food.

3. Both were unhappy with the trend towards removing fat from dairy products.

One film claimed that removing the fat from dairy products raised those nasty carbs. I did some comparison and that is correct. Example: low-fat yogurt has almost twice the carbs of full fat yogart.

The other film claimed that removing fat from dairy products raised the protein levels (the film is critical of animal protein.) Again, I found that to be true. Low fat yogurt has about 50% more protein that full fat yogurt.

How about a meat and veggie diet, without the wheat, corn, and sugar?

For what it's worth, all fat is removed from milk during processing, and is then added back to make 2% or "whole" milk...

I guess the world has always been full of lunatics, but it seems that they are thick on the ground lately.

She does look pretty good for 43 days with no food except a little milk in her tea. I think I would be long dead before 43 days elapsed if I tried that.

Ha

How about existing only on Sunlight like this lady, named Shine. Well, she does cheat a bit putting milk in her tea. She does not plan to die. I think she will be in for one heck of a surprise.

Eastside woman eschews food to live on sunlight | Local News | The Seattle Times

That is sad. How can seemingly intelligent people just want to believe something that is clearly so wrong and dangerous?

Shine is the 65-year-old Eastside woman who had decided to test out whether people can live just on light. You know, sunlight, the stuff of life.

“It would be the most powerful thing this world could have,” she says. No more hunger problems.

On her Facebook page, she enthusiastically writes about how: “Can you imagine, if we did not have to eat, just how free our lives would be?”

Really, it is unbounded enthusiasm.

“If humans did not have to eat, we could turn our planet back into a place of beauty,” writes Shine. “Chemicals in the soil would no longer be needed and neither would all the destruction from the highly mechanized food industries.

Isn't it obvious that all those poor starving people in Africa have access to lots and lots of sunshine?

This is as stupid as saying I'm going to jump off a 30 story building to test if gravity is still working, because you know, it could be really great if we didn't have gravity always dragging us down.

-ERD50

Reminds me of a passage in the original "Survival into the 21st Century" by Viktoras Kulvinskas, about "breathairians" who could exist on just air and water. Supposedly they could somehow turn nitrogen in the air into protein etc...

This is food for thought (pun not intended, but I'm OK w/it). For the last 8-9 years I've been suffering more and more ear-nose-throat allergic symptoms. I used to be able to control them with Flonase (inhaled steroid) in the spring and fall, but now the Dr. has me on Flonase year round and it still isn't keeping my ears clear. 2005 or 2006 is when I switched from aspartame to Splenda, on a friend's advice. Will have to try cutting out the Splenda for a few weeks, to see if the ears clear up.

Amethyst

" appears that a small number of people do have experiences resembling allergic reactions to the sweetener. Although we couldn’t find reliable human studies that measured or confirmed these symptoms’ relation to sucralose, there are probably enough stories out there to suggest that people play it safe and “test” their reaction to the sweetener with small doses initially."

This is food for thought (pun not intended, but I'm OK w/it). For the last 8-9 years I've been suffering more and more ear-nose-throat allergic symptoms. I used to be able to control them with Flonase (inhaled steroid) in the spring and fall, but now the Dr. has me on Flonase year round and it still isn't keeping my ears clear. 2005 or 2006 is when I switched from aspartame to Splenda, on a friend's advice. Will have to try cutting out the Splenda for a few weeks, to see if the ears clear up.

Amethyst"

I have no experience with Splenda, but I do with Flonase. (off the food topic for a moment)
I also suffer from seasonal allergies, both nasal and lung (asthma). Flovent (same drug as Flonase) works great on my asthma, but Flonase gave me terrible nose bleeds and was quite ineffective at relieving my nasal congestion. I switched to nasal inhalation of a salt solution (about 1 rounded tsp/8oz water) and that cleared my sinuses without side effects. Its a little unpleasant - pour a little solution into a cupped palm and inhale through your nose, spit out. 2-3 times a day. Its worth a try.

This poor lady may find that she has serious problems when she decides to start eating again. Years ago a friend of mine decided to lose a lot of weight so he did a very low calorie diet and lost the weight. When he started to eat normally again he had all sorts of stomach and bowel problems. These took about two years to get resolved.

I use the salt water method at times myself....doesn't seem to last very long though. I actually use a big basting bulb/squirter ...Yep....a bit disgusting, but it works for a while. They also make things like a Neti Pot.....

I think that was predictable.
The documentary film "Eat The Sun" did a pretty good job of exposing the sun gazing sub-culture, although I don't recall the reference to Breatharianism.

You have to love the part where she is quitting to protect those that don't quite have their act together.

You have to love the part where she is quitting to protect those that don't quite have their act together.

Here's my favorite from the comment section:

"But people don’t ever want to hear the truth,” she says.

I find it interesting how she fails to understand how that relates to herself, and how many others seem to have the same problem. They come up with some wild imaged idea, that not only has no basis in reality but has been thoroughly proven untrue in reality, but continue to believe it. And think it's everyone else that's wrong.

-ERD50

This researcher attributes his ability to eat just about whatever he wanted and stay thin to his 'buddy'.

Meanwhile, I was eating insulin-spiking potatoes every day with complete impunity. Starchy tubers, grains and beans, sugar-filled fruits, fat-laden nuts and avocados, meat. I even sometimes put honey on my yogurt and berries. Yet throughout this time, my buddy helped me stay lean.
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2015/04/my-buddy-and-me.html

Resistant starch

The news has been full of reports on a technique that can reduce the calories in white rice by 30-40%. You cook it normally with some coconut oil in the water. Then chill it overnight. The cooling causes a substantial portion of the starch to convert to an indigestible form. According to the reports, the rice can be reheated and still remain resistant. Could be a big deal if it pans out. I already make a batch of rice ahead and then heat individual portions in the microwave.

This report reminded me that I have read that potatoes become the metabolic horror shows they are when cooked but drop way down the glycemic index when chilled. Another example of resistant starch? If potatoes can be reheated with impunity as the rice reportedly can I will start making twice baked and freezing them for reheating.

Hey Chuckanut!

I can't message you.

So therefore this small off-topic question in this thread: I love your tagline. Do you know who it's from or are you the author? :)

Back
Top Bottom