Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Major back surgery (for a tumor) at age 18, cancer survivor at 34. Rotator cuff surgery 3 months ago still has me rehabing. Now at 66 I stay as active as my various ailments allow and try not to sweat the small stuff (hair loss, man-boobs, lousy night vision, etc., etc.). Getting old is not for the faint of heart but it is better than the alternative.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
ERhoosier
Or Hugh Hefner.
Plenty old enough to remember HH in his prime, but was tryin' to keep things 'respectable'

Old 04-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

It hit me hard Monday with a visit to the new cardiologist. Not a fraction of the bedside manner of the old one. I guess he thought he needed to hit me over the head with the heart murmur and deeper issues that aren't going away. DW was totally freaked until she sent the details to a physician friend and he told her - if he's feeling fine don't worry about it for now. Same thing I told her when we walked out - hey - I'm the same person that walked in there an hour ago!

The news really made me look again at the numbers and my age (54). Firecalc says I'm good, even it it happened tomorrow. 55 would be cool, but scary. This might push me closer to 55 than 60. TIme will tell.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #44

Eh, it's just a doctor. Tell him to **** OFF like I did once. They really like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark_L View Post
It hit me hard Monday with a visit to the new cardiologist. Not a fraction of the bedside manner of the old one. I guess he thought he needed to hit me over the head with the heart murmur and deeper issues that aren't going away. DW was totally freaked until she sent the details to a physician friend and he told her - if he's feeling fine don't worry about it for now. Same thing I told her when we walked out - hey - I'm the same person that walked in there an hour ago!

The news really made me look again at the numbers and my age (54). Firecalc says I'm good, even it it happened tomorrow. 55 would be cool, but scary. This might push me closer to 55 than 60. TIme will tell.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yeah, Jags... yer doing fine. They will probably [ with your help] get you straightened out in no time. I have a long list that I won't bore you with, but I leave soon for Utah for a week of dirtbiking; mixed age crew, the youngsters are 30's, i'm not the oldest at 62. Attitude and determination help immensely. [ and more throttle]

Also, for most things, excercise trumps most drugs ever developed.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags View Post
Just wondering how others cope with the sudden bolt from the blue and realization that they are no longer immortal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I was just 45 when a doctor broke the news to me that I had early-onset arthritis in both knees by reporting the results of my x-rays thusly, "Well, the good news is that on the outside you look really good. Trouble is, on the inside, boy do you look old!"
I was in my mid 40s when a doctor told me I had the spine of a man 50 years older than I was. I haven't asked since, and coping has become a full-time proposition.

Tyro
Old 04-04-2013, 05:45 AM   #47

Don't count on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Eh, it's just a doctor. Tell him to **** OFF like I did once. They really like that!
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
... Attitude and determination help immensely. [ and more throttle]...
When in doubt, GAS IT!
Old 04-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Don't count on this.
Need a SARCASM FONT.

He may have earned it, but he didn't like it at all.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #50
Confused about dryer sheets

the rotator is a tough injury .. maybe you just strained it. i am lucky to have strong shoulders but my right knee is at 60% of what it could be. but i can still hike with a staff and biking is no problem. when i feel old and tired i usually put on some good blues .. drink a toast to the good times either in the past or future .. and knock on wood
Old 04-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #51
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak palen View Post
the rotator is a tough injury .. maybe you just strained it. i am lucky to have strong shoulders but my right knee is at 60% of what it could be. but i can still hike with a staff and biking is no problem. when i feel old and tired i usually put on some good blues .. drink a toast to the good times either in the past or future .. and knock on wood
I can lift my arm up high now, but still cannot reach behind my back. Sleeping on that side is also painful. Hopefully it heals quickly, so I can get back on to my weights.
Drinking a toast is not an option at this stage. Doc says I've had one too many, and need to lay of the booze. The next blood test needs to show a significant improvement in my GGT, Trigs and Glucose readings.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Had my check up last week. Full blood test and all.
However on the bright side, the high sugar reading could be due to my high red wine consumption, and if I cut that down, the sugar may reduce to a more reasonable as well.
Most alcoholic beverages other than beer are low-carb, though I suppose the actual carb count could depend on the vintage? And, of course, the consumption level! More, wine often is linked to reduced inflammation, itself thought to be a precursor to diabetes.

Alcohol Carb Chart - Atkins - Low Carb

Best way to find out is to buy a glucose meter and check for yourself.

Good luck, keep after it ...
Old 04-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #53
Administrator

Quote:
I can lift my arm up high now, but still cannot reach behind my back. Sleeping on that side is also painful. Hopefully it heals quickly, so I can get back on to my weights.
I know what you mean! Although I do not have an injury right now, I get rotator cuff injuries sometimes with weight lifting. They come on much more quickly than other injuries, at least for me, and the intensity of rotator cuff pain always surprises me.

Even now, more than a year after my last rotator cuff incident (I think?), I am still lifting quite a bit less than I probably could on several of the weight lifting machines that happen to aggravate my rotator cuffs. I also have extended my warm-up/stretching to add extra attention to the shoulder area before each workout.

I am 64, and at my age avoiding injuries when weightlifting is almost an art.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am definitely feeling more creaky these days. I hope that I will have a positive attitude when I get to this guy's stage:

Joe Schlesinger, the master storyteller, has been a journalist for 65 years and now, he says, his main job is being a patient patient. He is on his third hip replacement and takes oodles of pills, but no 'mewling' for him. When you've witnessed history, you always have a stake in the future.

Joe Schlesinger: The full-time job of growing old - Canada - CBC News
Old 04-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #55

I started to recognize old age when my perfect eyesight stared to deteriorate at age 50. I also started to get arthritis. I ER'd at 55 and one of my goals was to get healthy. I workout at a gym 2x per week with a trainer and I haven't felt this good since high school.