Join Early Retirement Today

Sugar
Old 06-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sugar

The article below is the best summary that I have seen of the effects of sugar on our bodies. It is not pretty.

Sugar May Be Bad, But Fructose is Far More Deadly, Part 1 of 2

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
The article below is the best summary that I have seen of the effects of sugar on our bodies. It is not pretty.

Sugar May Be Bad, But Fructose is Far More Deadly, Part 1 of 2
Warning: Link goes to Mercola.com.

http://www.quackwatch.com/11Ind/mercola.html

But then, Quackwatch and the FDA are probably all part of the Fructose Population Reduction Initiative that the Illuminati run.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

My local Illuminati chapter is having a bake sale next weekend. Plenty of sweet treats for everyone!
Old 06-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While the link goes to a dubious site, the discussion is still worth considering.

I used to blow off the High Fructose thing before. (A calorie is a calorie, right?)

But it is worth considering. Fructose is metabolized differently than sucrose. Does it matter? I don't know. But people are studying it. Mercola, of course, makes all sorts of black and white claims. Others are still searching.

I'm just trying to stop the carb madness and eat more complex carbs. HFCS foods tend to be so carb and calorie packed that I just naturally ignore them.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I've come to the conclusion that all food is poisonous and the only way out is to stop eating entirely.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Fructose is metabolized differently than sucrose.
All those "...ose" things are types of sugar. No question that fructose is one of the nastiest kinds, but it's useful to keep it in perspective.

Sucrose (table sugar) is half fructose, half glucose.

The dreaded High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) is typically about 55% fructose, so roughly the same proportion as table sugar. Not different enough to make a fuss about.

Most of us eat too much sugar of whatever kind, and we know it.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
While the link goes to a dubious site, the discussion is still worth considering.

I used to blow off the High Fructose thing before. (A calorie is a calorie, right?)

But it is worth considering. Fructose is metabolized differently than sucrose. Does it matter? I don't know. But people are studying it. Mercola, of course, makes all sorts of black and white claims. Others are still searching.

I'm just trying to stop the carb madness and eat more complex carbs. HFCS foods tend to be so carb and calorie packed that I just naturally ignore them.
+1. Moderation in all things. I try not to eat things with ingredients I can't pronounce (or are known by acronyms like HFCS) and I try to avoid simple carbs more often than not. But I don't obsess about it. And I eat small portions, most restaurants serve up twice (or more) what I want. YMMV

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1. Moderation in all things. I try not to eat things with ingredients I can't pronounce (or are known by acronyms like HFCS) and I try to avoid simple carbs more often than not. But I don't obsess about it. And I eat small portions, most restaurants serve up twice (or more) what I want. YMMV
Eat real food. Not too much.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I experimented with this starting last December 2012. (my very own N=1 study)

I avoided fructose, but not glucose as they are metabolized differently. I stopped using honey and maple syrup as sweeteners. Stopped baking with sugar (sucrose). Stopped drinking daily orange juice. Switched my yogurt from honey flavored Greek Gods to the plain version. Switched from 85% chocolate to 100% chocolate. Switched from red wine to Scotch Whiskey.

I still had an apple on most days and some occasional berries. I estimate my daily fructose consumption ranged from 10grams to 25 grams daily... with most days being under 15 grams.

During this time, I consumed plenty of glucose (dextrose). I made my own maple syrup and Ice cream using dextrose.

I was curious to see what would happen to my blood lipid panel. Here are my results...

LDL was reduced from 130 to 125
HDL was unchanged
Triglycerides was reduced from 92 to 50

Most importantly, the LDL pattern is now established to be Pattern A (large Bouyant)... aka the "Better to have LDL".

The LDL particle test is hard to get and I do not have a before test as a baseline. But, I have family members who consume plenty of sugar and have their LDL classified as Pattern B (small, dense).

I believe a low fructose diet results in a better LDL profile... one that incurs less inflammation.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I like this article because it points out the difference between substances that are acutely toxic and those that are chronically toxic. It also talks about the dose and the timing of the doses.

It is long and technical. Some may wish to skip to the Take Home Message at the bottom.

Is sugar toxic? The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

Tags
sugar fructose