Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I wonder if it is still permissible to post about Sugar Nation? No, not that kind of sugar, you naughties!
A dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Actually, I like your review of this book better than the one linked to by the OP. Or, at least it makes me want to read the book now.
Quote:
To be facing this disease and not take it very seriously, at whatever stage, is like reading about lung cancer and cigarettes and lighting up. There just has to be a better way.
One would think so, but I think there are a lot of people who just want to go on whatever medication their doctor is offering and go on living eating the same stuff and not increasing (or initiating) their exercise program. Given the potential side effects in any medication I would much rather exercise than pop a pill.

There's a quote I ran across somewhere, attributed to some unknown Stanford doc that helps clarify it in my mind: "Sweat is the best cardiovascular agent known to man."

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #22

Quote:
I wonder if it is still permissible to post about Sugar Nation? No, not that kind of sugar, you naughties!
Thank you for the great review, haha! I am one of those people who is thin, but have to watch the carb intake (I would never do a glucose tolerance test because I already know the answer.) so I read this book with interest. You probably haven't gotten to it yet, but he talks about Glucomannan midway in the book. Glucomannan is what those "Shirataki" noodles (konjac powder) are made from. I may even start another thread just for that.

Anyway, I am not gonna give it all away, but he talks about his echocardiogram experience after having been on low carb/high fat/exercise for like 6 years at the end part of the book. I'd just say the result is encouraging.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:03 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ1_ View Post
I had no clue they put it in coleslaw.

I actually went in a restaurant where they did not have one side dish that did not have "tons of sugar" in it.
Lots of sugar in coleslaw. I love it, but haven't been able to eat since the big D. I've tried making it myself without sweetener, and it's pretty nasty. Well, not really nasty, but just sort of a cabbage carrot mayo vinegar salad. Not the same thing at all. Maybe I'll try it again with Splenda, see how that works out.

The one that really teed me off was when I found out that Vitamin Water has 33 grams of sugar per bottle. I started drinking it (years ago) after workouts for the vitamins and such. I knew it was sweetened, since I could taste it. But 33 grams of sugar?
Old 09-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Lots of sugar in coleslaw. I love it, but haven't been able to eat since the big D. I've tried making it myself without sweetener, and it's pretty nasty. Well, not really nasty, but just sort of a cabbage carrot mayo vinegar salad. Not the same thing at all. Maybe I'll try it again with Splenda, see how that works out.
Have you ever tried Xylitol? I have Xylitol made from 100% birch tree (Ultimate Sweetner). Xylitol is often used in toothpaste and healthfood store chewing gums. It has no aftertaste that I can detect (I barely tolerate taste of Splenda.) and it is considered diabetic safe with very very low glycemic value, although it does have some carb value, plus it doesn't have the punch in its sweetness than real sugar.

If coleslow with Splenda doesn't taste very good, you may want to try Xylitol. I believe there are xylitol based imitation honey on the market also (assuming you used to make your coleslow with honey instead of sugar...)

I use honey in my coleslow, sweet wine in some dishes, and I don't worry too much about small amount of sugar in condiments, etc, but when something calls for a small amount of sugar when I am cooking, I use Xylitol, or half xylitol and half sugar (I am not diabetic, but I don't do well at all with any fast acting carbs.)
Old 09-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #25

Quote:
The one that really teed me off was when I found out that Vitamin Water has 33 grams of sugar per bottle. I started drinking it (years ago) after workouts for the vitamins and such.
You fell for the ole "Package some crap and call it something healthy trick".
Quote:
I knew it was sweetened, since I could taste it. But 33 grams of sugar?
Go check out the labels on the "healthy" energy bars - I spent 20 minutes one day reading the labels on every one they had and realized they should change the name to, "candy bar".

My youngest spent the summer before college working in his uncle's pool service business. Someone decided he looked tired and needed a pick-me-up of something that alleged to be a b-12 energy drink. He tried one and was amazed at the burst of energy he got....from 34 grams of sugar.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Go check out the labels on the "healthy" energy bars - I spent 20 minutes one day reading the labels on every one they had and realized they should change the name to, "candy bar".
And many, if not most, use soy for the protein component...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:33 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

The one that really teed me off was when I found out that Vitamin Water has 33 grams of sugar per bottle. I started drinking it (years ago) after workouts for the vitamins and such. I knew it was sweetened, since I could taste it. But 33 grams of sugar?
Funny timing - I had a group over today and smoked a pork shoulder and served it with coleslaw. I am not big on sweets, and as far as I know, all the coleslaw that I liked that my family made was w/o sugar. DW said when she makes coleslaw, she salts the shredded cabbage, weights it over a colander for 15 minutes, and then rinses it. This supposedly eliminates the bitterness. Then just add some mayo and vinegar, no sugar (and coriander says I and my Aunt, but DW says no).

So maybe the salting would remove the bitterness that you detect. For my tastes, some shredded carrot provides all the sweetness I need.

For flavored drinks, I like the LA Croix brand of carbonated water. Either plain with a twist of lemon/lime, or their flavored orange or grapefruit - which apparently only uses the essence of oil of orange and grapefruit - no sugar added, but plenty of flavor. I can carbonate my own water, so I'm looking for ways to get that orange-oil taste (zest comes close).

-ERD50
Old 09-23-2011, 12:38 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
You fell for the ole "Package some crap and call it something healthy trick".
+1 - Our schools now are requiring that kids bring in 'healthy' snacks for birthday treats. But who decides what is 'healthy'? Seems like anything labeled "low fat" or "no sugar" is considered "healthy", but is it? Most of the stuff with those labels appears to be crap to me.

-ERD50
Old 09-26-2011, 01:13 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ1_ View Post
I had no clue they put it in coleslaw.

I actually went in a restaurant where they did not have one side dish that did not have "tons of sugar" in it.
your average commercial salad dressing has a lot of sugar in it. the cole slaw you usually see has lots of dressing in it. so... there you go..
Old 09-30-2011, 12:21 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Have you ever tried Xylitol? I have Xylitol made from 100% birch tree (Ultimate Sweetner). Xylitol is often used in toothpaste and healthfood store chewing gums. It has no aftertaste that I can detect (I barely tolerate taste of Splenda.) and it is considered diabetic safe with very very low glycemic value, although it does have some carb value, plus it doesn't have the punch in its sweetness than real sugar.

If coleslow with Splenda doesn't taste very good, you may want to try Xylitol. I believe there are xylitol based imitation honey on the market also (assuming you used to make your coleslow with honey instead of sugar...)

I use honey in my coleslow, sweet wine in some dishes, and I don't worry too much about small amount of sugar in condiments, etc, but when something calls for a small amount of sugar when I am cooking, I use Xylitol, or half xylitol and half sugar (I am not diabetic, but I don't do well at all with any fast acting carbs.)
Xylitol is a sugar alcohol and most (not all) can cause some people some nasty gastric distress. Count me in that group. I use Erythinol (sp?) which does not case the gastric issues but is only 70% as sweet as sugar so I add some Stevia and Splenda to it. The three seem to compliment each other and mellow out the after tastes of each one individually.

I cook a lot of my own deserts now including ice cream with these three sugar substitutes. My brownies are pretty good but take a bit of getting used to since they don't contain any wheat flour; only flax and almond flour. I also cook with oat flour which works great with muffins and other like items.

I am not diabetic, yet, but my mother is (age onset) so I have the propensity. I also "blow up" in weight from most grains (wheat, rice and corn) and potatoes so I stay away from them. I avoid most white food...white sugar, white rice, white potatoes, white flour, etc. Dairy is also an issue (lactose) so I drink and use Almond Milk. Soy is just as bad as regular milk for some reason.

The biggest problem I have going very low carb. is being able to eat out without eating mostly salads and bad breath from ketosis from burning protein instead of carbs. for energy sources.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:13 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Erythritol is the best sugar alcohol. Maltitol is just as bad as sugar.

Steve, there are solutions to the low carb problems you refer to. Drinking more water can eliminate the ketosis breath, for example.

Eating out: eggs, sausage and bacon, steaks, burgers without the bun, chicken caesar salads.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:22 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I agree. We eat out regularly without any problems. Even McDonalds offers decent choices with some of their grilled chicken salads. Seafood restauarants are easy, steak places are easy (just get a double order of the veggie instead of the baked potato). Italian places can be a little difficult, but even they usually have grilled options. We tend to eat at mongolian grill places instead of standard chinese, so we can pick what gets added to the plate. Chinese food sauces can be deadly. It's just a matter of mindset. Even if I get a cheeseburger at a restaurant, I tell them "no bun, no fries" to remove the temptation of having it sitting on your plate. Then double your veggie order to counter the over-protein aspect. And it's paying off. DW has lost 30 lbs over 5 months, and I'm down over 15. It would be more if alcohol was calorie free.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:50 AM   #33

Yes, going around reading labels can be quite enlightening - I don't buy much pre-processed food - make my own salad dressings, bake my own breads/etc (haven't done to much of that lately as am cutting on carbs), make my own salads, cook my own meats/fish/beans/etc. I don't put sugar in anything unless it's meant to be a sweet (cookies, cakes) - in fact, I take sugar out of recipes - I guess I'm just more of a savory gal ;-) Cole Slaw is icky with sugar - and I don't eat ketchup, I eat salsa..

And yet, I do like my sweet tarts and dark chocolate.....and ice cream..every now and then.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #34

I agree there are options to eating out, i.e., salads, burgers without the bun, etc. The problem in many cases is the sugar and other carbs. in dressings, coatings, sauces, etc. I carry my own salad dressing that comes pre-made in non-refrigerated packages from Walton Farms; no sugar, no fat, no carbs. and most taste very good.

Al, I have tried drinking copious quantities of water and even green tea to see if it would help...nothing does much good so far. A small amount of "good carbs." seems to help a bit but not much according to my wife. I am still looking for a solution other than tons of sugar free breath mints.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
Al, I have tried drinking copious quantities of water and even green tea to see if it would help...nothing does much good so far. A small amount of "good carbs." seems to help a bit but not much according to my wife. I am still looking for a solution other than tons of sugar free breath mints.
Beer. It covers most other types of breath, and goes good with most meals. Just make sure to get a good hoppy one that will last awhile. JMO.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Erythritol is the best sugar alcohol.
Thank you Al, for this information. I've just ordered NOW Erythritol.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:38 AM   #37

Quote:
Beer. It covers most other types of breath, and goes good with most meals. Just make sure to get a good hoppy one that will last awhile. JMO.
The only problem with beer is the amount of carbs. in it. Nearly all beers contain a lot of unfermented sugar which is a problem for me. I love a nice hoppy ale (India Pale or ESB) even made a few myself back when I had the time when I was w*rking.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR

The only problem with beer is the amount of carbs. in it. Nearly all beers contain a lot of unfermented sugar which is a problem for me. I love a nice hoppy ale (India Pale or ESB) even made a few myself back when I had the time when I was w*rking.
I wouldn't say "a lot."
Figure about a gram of carb per ounce of most beers.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I wouldn't say "a lot."
Figure about a gram of carb per ounce of most beers.
It sort of depends on the beer type too. I tend to drink heavier beers so the residual sugar content would be a bit higher than in a Budlight. Even 12 grams of sugar is more than I want to invest at times in my diet for a single item. I will at times do so but it is a planned event. Good beer is worth the expense so I do not eliminate it...just plan for it.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:37 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

This is in the lobby of the San Francisco Kaiser Permanente Hospital:

SugarBowl.jpg