Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-15-2014, 10:17 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Although I don't drink sugary soft drinks, I love sweets and chocolate, but was getting early-stage gum disease and decided to cut back 90% on sweet foods. (The remaining 10% = small glass of liqueur, and a few cookies, piece of chocolate, or a muffin once a week).

I lost a couple pounds and improved my gum health, which are gratifying results, but honestly haven't noticed any difference in how I feel from when I was eating sweet stuff daily. Was hoping to get a rush of new vitality, such as other people always seem to report when they cut out sugar, but it hasn't happened. Then again I'm pretty vital most of the time, LOL.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

And it was interesting to read about the 'low fat' guidance missteps (and how sugars replaced fats in a big way), special interests & politics in foods, the calorie in-calorie out oversimplification, the correlation between sugar intake and obesity/diabetes, etc.
Very true. We made the logical mistake of thinking that removing something 'bad' from a food then made it 'good'. Not true. It just made it less bad. (Assuming it was 'bad' to start.)

Of course there is mounting evidence that removing naturally occurring fats from foods and replacing them with sugar (to restore taste and desirability) was in reality making the food 'bad'. In some cases we took a relatively good food (like whole milk yogurt) and made it into bad food (sugary non-fat yogurt.) But, that's another story.

And don't get me started on sugar substitutes.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:31 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Shortly after moving to the US, I remember walking into a 7-11 and being impressed with the 44oz super-tanker that you filled with the soft drink of your choice, before sealing off the top with a couple of plastic clips. The thing was huge!

Major, you are bringing back the good ole days to me 15 years ago or so. I could drink a couple of those a day with the full sugared Pepsi and not a gain a pound....Along with the big grab bag of chips too. Sadly those days are gone and they are on my personal food ban list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:51 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I used to drink super big gulps and half a dozen home made chocolate chip cookies no problem. Now down to 12 ounce Coke and 1 or 2 cookies.

I am currently 1.5 pounds over my drivers license weight when I was 16. Guess I better cut back further.

My grandma was also sweet tooth and she is almost 100 years old.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:28 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Good post, but I wasn't suggesting we should "eliminate" sugar or anyone "going off the deep end." I agree with "moderation in all things," but I myself did not realize just how much sugar is in soda, or processed foods - and I thought it might interest others. I don't drink soda often, and processed foods even less often, but I will probably curtail both even further. YMMV
I definitely wasn't intending to respond directly to anyone, except the assertion that one soda per day wasn't a big deal. So, please don't take my monologue as an affront on your opinion! Most people need to reduce their sugar intake, but as we all know in this country moderation/compromise/middle-road is not done well. Our bodies do need some sugar, but we should seek out that sugar as it occurs in nature: in fruits, specifically. We should avoid added sugar as much as possible.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I'm not so sure having occasional soft drinks is so bad as if it was the population of the U.S. would be declining rather than increasing. Also, there is sugar in most foods and alcoholic beverages, including wine (which I used to make - lots of sugar is used to ferment into alcohol.
A 5oz glass of red wine contains up to 90 calories. Most people drink one a day on average which is not insignificant. If you start drinking 12oz of wine a day (as a single can of coke), yes, expect to gain some weight and have health issues. If you drink a "big gulp (64oz)" of wine every day, you're probably an alcoholic and have more to worry about than the hundreds of calories IMO!

That said, there are antioxidants galore in red wine, so it is not nutritionally empty. It's probably in line with juice in that regard, but much lower in sugar. Much of the calorie content in red wine comes from the alcohol as the residual sugar is usually very low (unless you're talking port...).

There are literally no redeeming nutritional qualities in soda that you can't get elsewhere (specifically, caffeine is likely good for you in moderation: drink unsweetned coffee or tea; I personally wouldn't touch a diet soda since it contains stuff I can't identify).
Old 05-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
I used to drink super big gulps and half a dozen home made chocolate chip cookies no problem. Now down to 12 ounce Coke and 1 or 2 cookies.

I am currently 1.5 pounds over my drivers license weight when I was 16. Guess I better cut back further.

My grandma was also sweet tooth and she is almost 100 years old.

I was a bean pole in high school, but I'm about 12 pounds over that. If I was 1.5 pounds over my HS weight like you, I would be returning to the Big Gulp days immediately. No health issues, but vanity issues keep me from them now. I don't want to get fat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:21 PM   #48

The only time I drink a sugary soda is for medical reasons - when recovering from an upset stomach or prepping for colonoscopy. Canada Dry ginger ale is my favorite, with Sprite or 7up next.

I'll have a Diet Coke a few times a month, but otherwise like some others mentioned, I drink zero calorie sparkling water when I feel like something more than tap water (generally in the afternoon). Perrier, San Pelligrino, or HEB Central Market Italian when I feel like splurging, otherwise store brand cans (with grapefruit or lime essence).
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:34 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I tend to drink water with lemon, Lecroix, decaf coffee, sometimes Izzy, and anything I can use as a mixer.

Maybe once a month I'll have a coke at a FF restaurant if I don't trust the look of their tap water. I rarely buy bottles water unless I am doing an outdoor activity and need to carry water with me (and I forgot my bottle).

I've lost 25 lbs since ER in Aug 2012. Most of that I attribute to not eating out most meals anymore and having a more active lifestyle.

Life is good! Cubicles kill.
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:43 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Those Izze sodas have over 28g sugar which is still prett high. They tasted incredibly sweet to me. I tried cutting them with sparkling water but then all I could taste was the grape juice filler.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
We've been reading the grams of sugar drink on labels for years. Super high.
I've always have known the word "illiteracy", but just learned the word "innumeracy". When it comes to many things--pay day loans, lottery tickets, sugar/salt in our foods--often we're innumerate.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:01 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
The only time I drink a sugary soda is for medical reasons - when recovering from an upset stomach or prepping for colonoscopy. Canada Dry ginger ale is my favorite, with Sprite or 7up next.
My wife drinks a Coke (preferably Mexican Coke which uses sugar in lieu of HFCS) when she gets a headache that won't go away with Advil. Usually helps!
Old 05-15-2014, 03:09 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Those Izze sodas have over 28g sugar which is still pretty high. They tasted incredibly sweet to me. I tried cutting them with sparkling water but then all I could taste was the grape juice filler.
I was grocery shopping today and picked up a Gatorade out of curiosity, 21g of sugar for a 12 oz bottle. I rarely drink it, but now I probably won't drink them at all. I already drink (unsweet) iced tea when I'm out, I may start making it at home too.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

It's hard to see how sugar (sucrose) is significantly different from HFCS (typically a 45:55 blend of glucose:fructose for soft drinks). Sucrose, commonly known as table sugar, consists of one molecule of glucose and one molecule of fructose. Sugars like sucrose that consist of two or more molecules are called polysaccharides joined by a glycosidic bond. Glucose and fructose are digested, absorbed and metabolized separately (so equivalent to HFCS). HFCS is just much cheaper as it's derived from corn.

Just one writeup (there are countless others nowadays), but it seems contrary to earlier "conventional wisdom," most of the current studies say there's little if any difference http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/...les.asp?id=486.

I'm not defending HFCS, I am suggesting equal amounts of sucrose are nutritionally no better, but we'll all make our own choices.
Attached Images
File Type: gif sfg.gif (14.2 KB, 4 views)

Old 05-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #55

Obviously, glucose/dextrose is a simple sugar, and that's why it is preferred for athletes in recovery: easily and quickly converted to glycogen for recovery.

As to sucrose vs. HFCS, I've got some reading material about the different kinds of sugars at home. I'll take a look at it and post a summary if it's germane to the discussion.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:46 PM   #56

Interestingly, Coke is used during ultra-endurance events as a mid-race quick-energy fuel by a lot of high level athletes, including Ironman World Champions. Counterintuitive, but it works. I drank Coke towards the end of my 2007 half Ironman event when I was really struggling with GI distress as well as low energy (the dreaded "Bonk"). The carbonation eased my stomach. The sugar and caffeine really helped get me to the finish line...
Old 05-15-2014, 08:19 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing View Post
I'm a recently admitted carbohydrate addict. I haven't had a non-diet soft drink in decades. I'm a distance runner and thought I was eating relatively healthy. I blamed my age for my weight gain and inability to take if off in spite of dieting and a lot of exercise. I whined to my endocrinologist who handed me his diet for overweight diabetics. The diet essentially cuts out all sugar and most fatty foods. I've dropped 15 pounds in the last 6 weeks without a second thought - no obsessing over calories. It's amazing how much sugar is in processed foods. I only get 1 piece of fruit/day, so I'm eating mostly vegetables and meat. I have oatmeal with Splenda for breakfast. There are some wonderful protein bars with a gram or less of sugar that get me through the afternoon.
It's great that you eliminated most sugar, but eliminating fatty foods is not only not necessary, it's not a good idea. Get rid of the unhealthy fats (most of the seed oils, margarine, trans fats), but you really should not be afraid of healthy fats - things like coconut oil, butter (best from pastured cows), olive oil. In fact, at least 50% of the calories you consume should come from these healthy fats. Do some research if you don't believe me. Eating mostly vegetables and meat is great (I do the same), but don't be afraid to include plenty of healthy fats. The whole saturated fat-phobia thing that has been pounded into our heads for years is completely wrong.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:30 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
It's great that you eliminated most sugar, but eliminating fatty foods is not only not necessary, it's not a good idea. Get rid of the unhealthy fats (most of the seed oils, margarine, trans fats), but you really should not be afraid of healthy fats - things like coconut oil, butter (best from pastured cows), olive oil. In fact, at least 50% of the calories you consume should come from these healthy fats. Do some research if you don't believe me. Eating mostly vegetables and meat is great (I do the same), but don't be afraid to include plenty of healthy fats. The whole saturated fat-phobia thing that has been pounded into our heads for years is completely wrong.
After decades of being told saturated fats are "bad", now many sources are indeed claiming otherwise. There are even some sources (New Book Makes the Case That Saturated Fat Is Good for You - TIME) claiming we'd better be careful eliminating trans-fats, some alternatives could be as bad or worse - and what happened with added sugar during the low-fat craze years is evidence we can go from bad to bad.

Who knew saturated fats were OK before recently, if they are?

What's to say another study won't come along and take hold claiming sat fats are "bad" again? And people will proselytize about that as if it's been self-evident all along...

I don't take any study as gospel. I've watched eggs go from good to bad to good too many times. Just one example of many!

I've come to believe (not at all original):
  • fats, carbs, protein all in moderation
  • avoiding processed foods as much as possible, including artificial anything including all the artificial sweeteners, butter substitutes, etc.
  • avoiding ingredients I can't pronounce unless I already know what they are
  • calories in - calories out is nonsense
  • thank goodness we have nutrition labels and ingredient listings, it would be a lot tougher without them
YMMV

Old 05-16-2014, 06:09 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Also, there is sugar in most foods and alcoholic beverages, including wine (which I used to make - lots of sugar is used to ferment into alcohol.
Hold on now, lets not wreck our retirement years. You forgot what all that fermenting does -- i.e., convert the sugar to alcohol. Sweet, desert wines have a lot of residual sugar but most dry table wines have only a few grams per glass. Still more than a few calories in a glass of wine but the metabolic channels are vastly different than sugar. Now add in all of the recently reported spurious correlations showing that a bit of alcohol improves health outcomes and you almost have to have a glass with dinner. Seriously, though, you can pick your poisons to a degree.

I think Nash's post summed things up about right - eat real foods and watch for added sugars. The only caveat I would add is Chuckanaut's comment - changing the intake balance a bit to favor protein and fat while keeping overall carbs down (he cited 100g/day which is about where I am) will allow many of us to self regulate. I.e., once we get the macro nutrient mix right our appetite will balance with our requirements without any need to count calories. To the extent that you use packaged/processed foods you still need to pay attention to food labels to avoid sneaky added sugars and high loads of carbs but you quickly figure out what foods to pick and pretty much go on autopilot.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:32 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

On warm days I always have chilled Safeway Brand seltzer in the fridge. It hits the spot, and is cheap enough in those 12 packs. Maybe I'll also squeeze some lemon or lime into it.

Ha