Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-16-2014, 08:53 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I think Nash's post summed things up about right - eat real foods and watch for added sugars. The only caveat I would add is Chuckanaut's comment - changing the intake balance a bit to favor protein and fat while keeping overall carbs down (he cited 100g/day which is about where I am) will allow many of us to self regulate. I.e., once we get the macro nutrient mix right our appetite will balance with our requirements without any need to count calories. To the extent that you use packaged/processed foods you still need to pay attention to food labels to avoid sneaky added sugars and high loads of carbs but you quickly figure out what foods to pick and pretty much go on autopilot.
All of this is spot on. My carb load is higher than 100g/day because of my training/racing needs, but in the offseason I focus on protein and (good, including saturated) fat. The saying SHOULD go: "An avocado a day keeps the doctor away."

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2014, 08:54 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Hold on now, lets not wreck our retirement years. You forgot what all that fermenting does -- i.e., convert the sugar to alcohol. Sweet, desert wines have a lot of residual sugar but most dry table wines have only a few grams per glass.
And remember that distilled spirits (bourbon, scotch, vodka, etc.) don't have any sugar it them, though many people add sweet mixers to them.

Pure alcohol does have calories though, just no carbs.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:01 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Being the INTJ type, I find it fascinating to read the nutrition info on every single thing I consume. If I'm at a restaurant, I try to find it on my smart phone. There are some foods that tend to be thought of as healthy whose label surprised me. Most yogurts are #1 on my surprise list. The majority of those at my grocery store have 15-20g+ of sugar, some significantly more than that. Fage Greek 0% or 2% are pretty respectable, but will be a big change if you're used to the standard Dannon/Yoplait type stuff.

Nash: what is your typical daily fat/carb/protein breakdown? My biggest challenge is trying to get up to my daily maintenance calories (including 500-2000 net neg. for exercise) without getting crazy ratios. I often hit 200g of lean protein which is %30 more than body weight. Much more than that and my digestive system stalks to balk. Fat often ends up around 45% (avocados, nuts, etc), which still leaves a lot of carbs. Most carbs come from fruit, lentils and oatmeal. A pint of berries may have 30g carbs but less than 100 calories, so I'm left almost having to eat some high-fiber whole grain bread.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:18 AM   #64

Am addicted to artificial flavored iced tea from Aldi's... Always have 2 half gallons in the refrigrator. In addition to enjoying the drink, the bonus of low cost... Less than $.60/gal. The frugaleer special.

https://www.aldi.us/en/grocery-items...mon-drink-mix/
Old 05-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Am addicted to artificial flavored iced tea from Aldi's... Always have 2 half gallons in the refrigrator. In addition to enjoying the drink, the bonus of low cost... Less than $.60/gal. The frugaleer special.

https://www.aldi.us/en/grocery-items...mon-drink-mix/
Where do the calories come from in that drink?
Old 05-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Coke bottles held only 6.5 oz (one third the size of the OP's Pepsi, so one third the calories) until 1955. My dad drank a six pack in a week. We kids had none.

Portion control for me trumps carbs vs fat vs protein effects, but hard to implement when the standard sizes are insane.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
Nash: what is your typical daily fat/carb/protein breakdown? My biggest challenge is trying to get up to my daily maintenance calories (including 500-2000 net neg. for exercise) without getting crazy ratios. I often hit 200g of lean protein which is %30 more than body weight. Much more than that and my digestive system stalks to balk. Fat often ends up around 45% (avocados, nuts, etc), which still leaves a lot of carbs. Most carbs come from fruit, lentils and oatmeal. A pint of berries may have 30g carbs but less than 100 calories, so I'm left almost having to eat some high-fiber whole grain bread.
I don't count calories, but if I had to guess, I'd be 40/30/30. IMO, you're taking in way too much protein, and if your ratios are correct, I'd recommend you increase your carb intake if you're exercising strenuously. Sounds like you are based on 500-2000 calories burned.

I eat about 100g of protein per day, at ~150lbs. The most I've ever seen recommended even by Paleo advocates is 1g/lb of lean body mass. That means if you're 200lbs and 10% body fat, you should take in 180g of protein. That's still too much IMO, but certainly 30% over body weight is more than your body can process, and can actually be harmful to your kidney function.

Ideas for carb intake for an athlete: focus on fruit - I eat probably five or six servings per day coming from berries, cherries, apples, figs, and oranges mostly. You'll get plenty of fiber from the whole fruits. After training, take in simple sugars. I use 16oz OJ, 3 or 4 tbs of glucose/dextrose, a banana, and a few tbs of whey protein powder blended. About 500 calories, most from simple sugar, and it works. I only use that after hard intervals or long (>1 hr) moderate workouts. I don't add the glucose for shorter or easier workouts; I might just have a banana. I also snack on dried fruit like raisins and sweetened cranberries after workouts for their blood alkilinity response as well as simple sugar.

At dinner after my day's training is done, on hard or long days, I'll have half a yam or a little brown rice too. I've found this helps me bounce back well.

When I was doing a lot of CrossFit and training for endurance events, I didn't recover well because my carb intake was too low. Bottom line: your body needs sugar if you're training hard. Just make sure you get it from the right places.

I'm no teetotaler: I have bread or pasta once a week, but it's not a regular part of my diet.

Do a little bit of reading on Glycemic Load. I think it's more useful than Glycemic Index because it takes into account the calories in whatever you're eating along with the insulin response. You'll see things like refined carbs have very high GL, but berries, yams, etc. are much lower. Focus on low GL most of the time. After training, eat whole foods with higher GL to aid recovery.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:02 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Chris Kresser on Stevia

Does It Matter If A Sweetener Is “Natural”?

Stevia sounds harmless enough.

Ha
Old 05-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Guess you haven't seen "Breaking Bad"...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Does It Matter If A Sweetener Is €œNatural€?

Ha
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Guess you haven't seen "Breaking Bad"...
Well, DW likes stevia. She also uses lakanto.

Breaking Bad is in our queue, maybe I better remove it for now.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:20 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Well, DW likes stevia. She also uses lakanto.

Breaking Bad is in our queue, maybe I better remove it for now.
No, don't! You'll never figure out how Stevia fits into the plot until you see the entire series.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:45 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Coke bottles held only 6.5 oz (one third the size of the OP's Pepsi, so one third the calories) until 1955. My dad drank a six pack in a week. We kids had none.

Portion control for me trumps carbs vs fat vs protein effects, but hard to implement when the standard sizes are insane.
We laughed ourselves sick when I was 9 or 10 and my mom brought home one of the early 2L bottles of Coke. The idea of a family of four ever drinking that amount of pop seemed absolutely preposterous. In college I had a roommate with a "metabolic" problem that "caused" her obesity. She went through one or more 2L bottles per day.

Portion control works best for me, too. Eliminating THE magic ingredient has never worked for me although I will say that high fat/low carb is substantially more palatable than the other way 'round. Too palatable, unfortunately....
Old 05-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #73

I was addicted to diet soft drinks until a few years ago. Then the news came out saying that sugary soft drinks were better for you than diet drinks. So I switched to regular coke/pepsi - about 1 per day. Now I cut back to 1 coke or pepsi every 2 or 3 days. Hope to cut back more in the future
Old 05-16-2014, 06:28 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I was addicted to diet soft drinks until a few years ago. Then the news came out saying that sugary soft drinks were better for you than diet drinks. So I switched to regular coke/pepsi - about 1 per day. Now I cut back to 1 coke or pepsi every 2 or 3 days. Hope to cut back more in the future
And eggs were good, no eggs were bad, no ..wait eggs are ok ......wait for it.....
Old 05-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
And eggs were good, no eggs were bad, no ..wait eggs are ok ......wait for it.....
Yep I know what you're saying. Just like bread used to be the foundation of the food pyramid. Now its a no-no
Old 05-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Yep I know what you're saying. Just like bread used to be the foundation of the food pyramid. Now its a no-no
And 'fresh air' was good for you - until we came out with chunky style...

Old 05-16-2014, 11:08 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Nash's diet sounds almost scientific to me - throughout my entire 20's and into my mid 30's, I was a professional powerlifter.

That meant my daily diet consisted of meat, eggs, tuna, peanut butter, milk......

And I was in really good shape.

Now, not so much so. Have to admit I drink close to a couple of liters of soda each day and not enough of the good stuff. Haven't worked out in a couple of years. And my body is reminding me of "the good old days".

This thread has been inspiring. I think I'll stop buying soda, slice up some lemons and limes, and throw them in a gallon jug of water that I'll keep in the frigde.

And start working out again. Yeah, I need to do that. It really helps.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:24 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

The primary reason to lower my intake of processed sugar is that it is an energy vampire, and the older I get, the more I value foods that keep my energy humming along. Which is the primary reason I kicked the majority of my processed sugar intake to the curb some months ago. There is no better feeling, to me at least, than the surge of well being and energy I get when I eat well and exercise vigorously. Only a few other things in life come close.

And I'm sorry, but say whatever some of you will, at the end of the day caloric intake vs caloric expenditure will always dictate weight in the long run. The quality of the calories you elect to put into your mouth will affect many, many things, energy and long term health among them, but your body will still respond to the sum total, regardless.

Why do drastic procedures like gastric bypass work to reduce weight if caloric intake isn't extremely relevant?
Old 05-16-2014, 11:28 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Ward View Post
Nash's diet sounds almost scientific to me - throughout my entire 20's and into my mid 30's, I was a professional powerlifter.

That meant my daily diet consisted of meat, eggs, tuna, peanut butter, milk......

And I was in really good shape.

Now, not so much so. Have to admit I drink close to a couple of liters of soda each day and not enough of the good stuff. Haven't worked out in a couple of years. And my body is reminding me of "the good old days".

This thread has been inspiring. I think I'll stop buying soda, slice up some lemons and limes, and throw them in a gallon jug of water that I'll keep in the frigde.

And start working out again. Yeah, I need to do that. It really helps.
Good for you. I wish you success! It will likely add years to your life.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:50 AM   #80

I probably drank 1-2 cans or glasses of diet soda every day from my teens through 40s, beginning with Tab and then diet Pepsi. It was a staple grocery item. No more--haven't had one in at least 15 years and no desire for it. I drink water and plain black coffee; my favorite summer refresher drink is plain iced coffee.

Since this thread is also about general nutrition, I'll also say that I've been eating mostly paleo (protein, veggies, healthy fats, very small amt of fruit and dairy) for a couple of months and feel just great. I've lost weight easily and am maintaining. The hardest thing for me is indulging in occasional sweet binges (baked goods, candy), a problem I've been trying to control my whole life with some, but not perfect, success.
Paleo cuts down on the occasional sugar cravings but hasn't completely eliminated them.

After years and years of trying "no fat" diets, having daily good portions of good fats (coconut oil, Kerrygold butter, avocado. animal fats like bacon) is enormously satisfying and filling.