Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-03-2009, 08:03 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

OR (Outdoor Research) makes a nice hat called the Sonora Sombrero.
Their stuff is well-made but expensive. I like mine.
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Its a dirty job but somebody's gotta say it...
Old 08-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Its a dirty job but somebody's gotta say it...

I see my dermo every 90 days to get my a regular crop of actenic precancers and basal cells frozen off, and had a melanoma removed with a large chunk of bicep and a bunch of lymph nodes three years ago. But you couldn't pay me to wear one of those shapeless preposterous-looking floppy adjustable things in public. Get a big brimmed straw, or a western hat, or a big booney hat. Or a burnoose. Anything but one of those dopey things like the "derma safe". Avoiding skin cancer doesn't mean forgoing your dignity.
DWPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And having a cool backdrop (Pompeii) makes the common straw hat from the grocery store look even better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HatPompeii.jpg (737.1 KB, 1 views)
Old 08-04-2009, 10:21 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWPC View Post
Get a big brimmed straw, or a western hat, or a big booney hat. Or a burnoose. Anything but one of those dopey things like the "derma safe". Avoiding skin cancer doesn't mean forgoing your dignity.
To each his own. Dignity is one's self respect. Frankly, I have more respect for myself when I have enough sense to protect myself against a serious threat to which I am susceptable. At 60 years, I don't really care what strangers think about my sense of aesthetics and style. Personnally, I think the "derma safe" hats look just fine.

For those that would rather visit their dermatologist every 3 months to have skin cancers burned off . . . well, whatever floats your boat is fine with me.

As an aside, I'm presently finishing up treatment with efudex (destroys pre-cancers). I look like a teen-ager with a terminal case of acne. I've looked this way for 2 months. But, I'm damn glad I did it. My dermatologist told me quite a few patients refuse to undergo treatment with efudex simply because it makes your face "break out." Seems like a silly reason to me, but we all make our own choices.
Geoffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:40 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

At age 20, you're sure that everyone's looking at you and you're worried what they think about you.

At age 40, you stop worrying what people think about you.

At age 60, you realize that they were never looking at you in the first place...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Done it all
Old 08-04-2009, 11:51 PM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

Done it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey View Post
For those that would rather visit their dermatologist every 3 months to have skin cancers burned off . . . well, whatever floats your boat is fine with me.

As an aside, I'm presently finishing up treatment with efudex (destroys pre-cancers). I look like a teen-ager with a terminal case of acne. I've looked this way for 2 months. But, I'm damn glad I did it. My dermatologist told me quite a few patients refuse to undergo treatment with efudex simply because it makes your face "break out." Seems like a silly reason to me, but we all make our own choices.
My seasonal dermo visits are neither by choice or from current habits; most of my sun damage occurred over 50 years ago. When I was a kid, I sunburned badly and easily. I was the kid who wore a t-shirt swimming. And couldn't tan. If I was any "fairer", I'd be albino. My first basal cells showed when I was in my 30s. My older brother died from a melanoma five years ago. I've done Efudex, Aldara, Accutane for rosacea (twice 15 years apart), liquid nitrogen every time I go in, and several surgical removals including the melanoma I mentioned. I always wear a hat; one of my Borsalino straws, or my Resistol straw (really tough), or a felt fedora when its cool. At 62 I have only a few years of this vanity left before doddering sets in; maybe then I'll wear a droopy sunbonnet. I didn't mean to ruffle feathers, but someone needed to say that, man or woman, those things are eye-rolling silly looking. But then, I'm "old school" and I won't wear baseball caps either.

Ask your dermo about Aldara for precancerous treatment; works like Efudex but not nearly as severe a reaction; the redness mostly subsides after a few days. Expensive stuff though.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:01 AM   #27
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
Nice hat. Great shop. I bought a Stetson XXXX there in a weak moment 30 years ago when we lived in Gig Harbor.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:15 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWPC View Post
Nice hat. Great shop. I bought a Stetson XXXX there in a weak moment 30 years ago when we lived in Gig Harbor.
Thank you . I really like the shop too. Many of their best customers are Afro-Americans, as these guys still like style in hats. Like maroon Derby's.

I am 68 but I have had very little skin difficulty so far, in spite of having been a lifeguard several summers, growing up in the south before anyone ever heard of sunscreen, and living a beach life in Southern California. Of course no one would ever think I was young either, as my face has "character", or in other words, sun damage.

I had my share of bad sunburns when I was young, but haven't even been pink for many years. I do not avoid sun, but neither do I spend long days in full sun, sunscreen or not.

I hope everyone who has had difficulty will continue to do well.

Ha
Old 08-05-2009, 04:34 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
It stays on in the wind, it's light and packs well, it looks cool and feels good.
Same thing here - I got this one from REI

Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:15 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I have 3 variations on the Panama- including a very nice tightly woven Borsalino that my son gave me because he got caught in the rain and it shrunk. Almost white, and almost capable of making an old man look young. I may even splurge on some cream colored linen pants to complete the picture.

So far no more keratoses.

Here is the downtown store where we buy our hats.

Photos For Bernie Utz Hats | Yelp

Ha
That hat is sharp. The linen pants and a Tommy Bahama silk camp shirt would look great with that.

I'm looking for a Panama hat also but with that Optimo style and a wider brim.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:39 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Same thing here - I got this one from REI

Not bad. Can you stuff the draw string up in the hat with no problem? When it's not windy, I don't care to have that strapped on.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:12 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Not bad. Can you stuff the draw string up in the hat with no problem? When it's not windy, I don't care to have that strapped on.
If I didn't have the drawstring then I'd have to use adhesive velcro on my forehead...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Love My Tilly Airflow
Old 08-05-2009, 11:10 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Love My Tilly Airflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
...Tilly hats are great also.
My doctor recommended for years that I wear a hat. I tried many before I found Tilly. I love the Airflow. The other brands are probably good but I found Tilly first so I'll stick with them.

Tilley Endurables - The Finest Hats and Travel Clothing in the World

Many of the Tillys travel well. Some of their varieties do not flatten. However, the Airflow flattens and can be put in a backback or suitcase. Tilly does not recommend folding or rolling the hat. The hat is easy to wash and air-dries in about an hour. It has a chin strap than can be tucked away and it has an adjustable feature in the back to make it stay on your head in all but the most windy conditions.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:47 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Yes - the draw string fits up in there nicely. I only use it when its windy. The hat also has snaps on the side to pull the sides up so it doesnt look like there's a bucket on your head
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote