Sun protection

steelyman

Moderator Emeritus
Spring time!

There is a local NPR talk show that covers lots of different topics with different guests.

I listened to one today about skin care. The guest was a local dermatologist who seemed knowledgeable (I have no medical expertise).

They talked a lot about sun protection/sun block, which was no surprise, but she said that a t-shirt gives you about SPF 4. That surprised me.

I apply a moisturizer with SPF 30 and have for ~10 years. Try it, boys. You can find one that's not greasy and doesn't stink like eau de toilette.

She also said she recommended Tilley hats (I never heard of them).

The trade off for over doing the SPF is that it cuts down in your vitamin-D production.

Dermatologist focus on skin cancer risk. There's a growing body of work indicating that many American's are not getting enough vitamin D because of too much sun block.

The trade off for over doing the SPF is that it cuts down in your vitamin-D production.

Dermatologist focus on skin cancer risk. There's a growing body of work indicating that many American's are not getting enough vitamin D because of too much sun block.

She mentioned that, too. She suggested milk, sardines (more I don't recall) and plain supplements.

Absolutely!
mpeirce's comment pretty much nailed it, IMNSHO.

Gardening stores often sell these floppy hats with brims that are lightweight, breathable, and offer +50 or so protection. Lots of people at work who walk at lunch wear them and I need to get mine out. SPF 30 sunscreen might be okay in the Midwest but those in the sunbelt should consider SPF 45 or more, especially if fair skinned. A close relative died from melanoma about 15 years ago so I always wear lots of sunscreen. But I also have to take Vitamin D due to vitamin deficiency, which is the less of the two evils.

Last edited:
SPF 30 sunscreen might be okay in the Midwest but those in the sunbelt should consider SPF 45 or more, especially if fair skinned.

That's a good point. People always think I am French or Italian or Greek, so that's not fair-skinned. And I am so Midwest (for now).

Very sorry about your relative, that is tough.

... but she said that a t-shirt gives you about SPF 4. That surprised me. ...

As a kid I often had a 'farmer's tan' since I lived on a farm. It is hard to believe a t-shirt is only SP4. Maybe SP4 is more than I thought?

-ERD50

Me too (farmer's tan, but I lived in the city). I don't understand SPF, but I also don't understand the Richter scale.

I use SPF 35 during my time in Arizona, nothing in Illinois unless I'm on a long boat or bike ride. Then I'll do 35. I always wear a hat, usually a bucket hat that shields most of my face and back of my neck. I've had several suspicious and precancerous things removed within the past 5 years, so I'm more careful now than I used to be

Last edited:
"but those in the sunbelt should consider SPF 45 or more"

Keep in mind that anything above SPF 50 is not necessary as there in no proof that anything above that adds additional protection. No need to pay extra for something that doesn't work.

Always have a farmer's tan, a little one. I generally have not worked outside in my career. Left arm has had much more exposure than right arm due to so much driving. I have more spots on the left arm and have had pre-cancerous spots frozen or burned off the left arm, neck below the chin, and face.

We do a lot of birding and photography outdoors. Our field clothes are nylon SPF 30+. We wear long sleeved high collar shirts and long pants. And Tilly hats. And sungloves. And sunscreen on face.

South TX sun is intense. We don't worry about not getting enough. I get short bits of UV exposure with no protection just by running outside for short periods, but if we're out for long periods we are religious about the above.

SPF = multiplier for the amount of time you can in the sun without sun damage. Without any sunscreen the average is 15 minutes. Do SPF 45 =15 x45 or 11.25 hr. Of course you should reapply every 2-3 hr and after swimming/sweating. There is a nice, not smelly moisturizer SPF 30 in the skin care section. I use Neutrogena except when I'm getting intense exposure.

Sungloves

...And sungloves....

I generally wear a hat and long sleeves when outdoors for any length of time; but, I have never worn sungloves, just lots of sunblock on my hands.

Any specific recommendations for gloves suitable for beach, boat and hiking type activities in hot, humid weather? Or, am I just as well off to stick with this sunblock?

Thanks.

SPF4 for a t-shirt? Hmmm.....must be a really thin t-shirt. One of my friends used to call me the Amazing Burning Man for my ability to pick up a sun burn...... but a t-shirt always kept me from getting burned. If I was out all day with a SPF4 lotion on I would be toast.

They talked a lot about sun protection/sun block, which was no surprise, but she said that a t-shirt gives you about SPF 4. That surprised me.
I'm out running all year and tanned on the legs and exposed arms. Mostly I run in the late mornings. Under the shirt and shorts my skin is white, no tan.

So I really wonder, isn't that clothing enough protection for me? Or is the skin color not a good indicator of excessive exposure?

I wasn't even sure what an SPF rating means but REI seems to have a good page on UPF (the equivalent for clothing): Sun Protection Clothing Basics

Basically, a UPF rating of 50 indicates the fabric of a garment will allow only 1/50th (roughly 2%) of available UV radiation to pass through it. A garment rated UPF 25 permits roughly 4% (1/25th) UV transmission.

UPF covers both UVA and UVB (not sure if they "average" the two or how exactly the protection rating is combined).

On t-shirts they write:
So where does a white cotton T-shirt rate? Many Web sites estimate it falls between UPF 5 and UPF 8, meaning it could allow as much as 20% (one-fifth) of available UV radiation to pass through.

While no doubt true in some cases, many newer T-shirts are treated with "optical brightening agents." These OBAs, appearance-enhancers for white fabrics, also boost disruption of UV radiation. Most common household detergents also include OBAs, so repeated launderings will increase the fabric's accumulation of brighteners and thus increase its UV-protective ability. Some experts estimate that such shirts may offer a UPF of nearly 15.

So at the low end a t-shirt could block 80% of UV light but could be as high as 95%.

I suppose one just needs to come to their own conclusions, dress and apply appropriately.

It's getting sunny around here!

Back
Top Bottom