Join Early Retirement Today

Superfocus Glasses
Old 02-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Superfocus Glasses

Saw an ad today for Superfocus glasses and was intrigued. These glasses are expensive - about $600. However, seeing well is more difficult as we age, important to quality of life and something I've struggled with. Here's a you tube vid that explains the technology. What do you think?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Very interesting but the price is a problem. Hopefully they will come down after a while.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe Costco optical will pick these up. It seems like a great idea. The only thing that would be better would be to have it automatically select the "sweet spot"
Old 02-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

My eyes are bad... and I need bifocals... and I can not stand them... I can not stand progressive...

So, I hope this works... I am willing to spend the money if it does...

But, it seems that you have to have round lenses... I will do some research on this.... so thanks for the post...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
My eyes are bad... and I need bifocals... and I can not stand them... I can not stand progressive...

So, I hope this works... I am willing to spend the money if it does...

But, it seems that you have to have round lenses... I will do some research on this.... so thanks for the post...
Yup, I noticed that too Texas Proud. So you have to be willing to look like Harry Potter or John Lennon to go with this. Let us know what your research reveals.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

It appears to me that fiddling with the adjustment would be a problem. What if both hands are occupied and you need to change the focus? What if both hands are greasy or otherwise indisposed?

I am reasonably satisfied with progressives.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

When I went to their website, round is the only shape available. I wonder if the technology will eventually permit different shapes. It will be interesting to watch the product develop.
Original Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #8

I remember reading about this some time ago (probably 3-5 years ago) when they first came up with the concept.

The original motivation was to provide these as standard glasses to very poor third world villages. Since training eye doctors and manufacturing prescription glasses was so expensive, most people in that situation weren't able to afford decent vision correction. These simply adjustable glasses took care of the problem, and they were hoping to make them at an affordable cost.

Looks like that didn't work, so they're making them available to the first world at a high price instead.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWeinel View Post
When I went to their website, round is the only shape available. I wonder if the technology will eventually permit different shapes. It will be interesting to watch the product develop.
I noticed that too about the round shape. Since the glasses adjust by that bar slider that controls the focus by adjusting the inner lens, I don't think any other shape would work. They may work that out though.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I remember reading about this some time ago (probably 3-5 years ago) when they first came up with the concept.

The original motivation was to provide these as standard glasses to very poor third world villages. Since training eye doctors and manufacturing prescription glasses was so expensive, most people in that situation weren't able to afford decent vision correction. These simply adjustable glasses took care of the problem, and they were hoping to make them at an affordable cost.

Looks like that didn't work, so they're making them available to the first world at a high price instead.
Could be for sure. That's why I'm asking the group. Not happy with my vision correction choices and am not so sure this is anything but a money making opportunity for the folks that make these things. We all know how anxious some folks are to make some money from aging boomers like DH and I.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I have wondered why someone has not done a magnetic clip on for reading...

IOW, I can use my single focus lenses for over 95% of what I need... but reading things that are really small and up close I have to remove my glasses or look over the top (very nearsighted.... like -8.5 to -9.5 diopers)..

I have a pair of glasses (that I do not use since they are bifocal) that have a magnetic sunglass... it works great... so make it with a reading prescription (such as +1.5 or whatever) and it would be great...

SOOO, any glasses manufacturer out there... go for it and I will only as 50 cents a pair for my idea....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

Here is a link: Eyejusters - self-adjustable glasses designed for the developing world
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought a pair of Superfocus glasses in 2010. I liked them very much. For the first time since I started with bifocals my entire field of vision would be in focus. This was especially pleasant when watching a movie or using the computer. But the reason that they worked well in that situation is that the focal distance does not change. It was quickly apparent to me that they would not work well in situations where the focal distance is constantly changing, such as: driving a car and flicking from looking at the road ahead to reading the dashboard instruments or looking at the GPS display, or being in a presentation or classroom situation where you are taking notes by looking back and forth from the whiteboard to your notebook. The glasses are basically unuseable under these conditions.

But I would have kept the glasses if these limitations were the only disadvantage, but there was another big problem. They leak. Mine started leaking after two months. Suddenly I saw a line across my field of vision. The silicone fluid had leaked out of one of the plastic "bags" that sits between the fixed, outer lens and the flexible, inner lens. The company was very decent about it and offered to repair them for free under the one-year warranty or refund my full purchase price. I took the refund.

Recently I googled Superfocus to try to find comments from users that would indicate that the company had solved their design or fabrication problems. Apparently not. There are many reports of leaking silicone. Too bad. If thought they would last, I would buy another pair in a minute.
Khufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Not sure I want to see anybody in that exquisite focus.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:45 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I just bought a pair of Adlens glasses, the John Lennon model. These glasses are similar to the Truefocus glasses in that each lens consists of a bag of silicone whose focal lens is adjustable. The Truefocus glasses have a slider on the bridge that adjusts both lenses simultaneously and quickly. The Adlens glasses have knobs on each side that permit each lens to be adjusted separately, but not quickly. So, they are more suitable as reading glasses, for example, than for all purposes as the Truefocus claim to be. The Truefocus glasses are made to match the pupilary distance of the purchaser while the Adlens have a standard PD of 63.

The Truefocus cost $900 compared to $80 for the Adlens. So far, I find them very useful as computer glasses and worth the money. It remains to be seen how durable they will prove to be, but at that price if they fail, for instance by leaking silicone, it is not a tragedy. I do like have the whole computer screen in focus at once compared to the bifocals, which necessitate tilting my head back to get just part of the screen in focus.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

This thread is very interesting, and the Adlens glasses look very promising, especially for underdeveloped areas of the world. In roaming around the web reading about them, I ran into the nugget that restaurants are starting to keep them as loaners for people who can't read the menu! As someone who has worn glasses since I was 2, it always amazes me that my BIL never has his when we go out.
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I like the idea of getting Adlens glasses just for the computer. That middle, computer distance is pretty tough for them to get right, at least for me. It would be neat to be able to adjust the correction at will.

Yesterday I spent over $400 for trifocals with a new prescription (despite 50% off the lenses), so I am hoping that will work out for now.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I'm thinking about the cheaper ones. I actually think they look a bit better than the John Lennon style, but I wouldn't wear either out, I don't think. They kind of look like sports glasses?

As W2R says, setting them to a computer or reading distance would probably be MUCH better than trying to get my head at just the right angle to hit the 'sweet spot' in my progressives. And it always seems like my progressives are going out of focus for me after about 6 months - with these, I could adjust as my eyes change.

At $80, it sounds like a low risk thing to try. And I imagine these will get better as they perfect the technology.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
As W2R says, setting them to a computer or reading distance would probably be MUCH better than trying to get my head at just the right angle to hit the 'sweet spot' in my progressives.
I think that success with progressive lenses probably takes a bit more fine muscle coordination in the neck than some of us have. I never had any luck with them.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Adlens glasses leak silicone
Old 09-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Adlens glasses leak silicone

So much for the Adlens John Lennon glasses. An air bubble has gotten into one of the lenses making it unuseable. Just like the Superfocus glasses it took only two months for the silicone to leak. I'll see if I can get my money back. Too bad. I liked the glasses. Don't they test these things?