Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-29-2017, 04:39 PM   #41
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
From my experience I'm skeptical about the justification for some prostate surgeries. Yeah, a lot of men who get it need it, but in my case the urologist was (IMO) overly eager to get me under the knife after a biopsy turned up 5% cancer in one of nine cores taken during a prostate biopsy. I got a second opinion from another urologist and a third from an oncologist who specialized in prostate cancer. They both told me that surgery was premature in my case, and I should just watch the cancer's progress.

I can't help but think about that big-ticket Da Vinci surgery robot at Urologist No. 1's hospital and the financial pressures to keep that thing humming!
a tale about two separate cases.
Case A 61 year old diagnosed with a slow prostrate cancer. He lost his insurance and never did any follow ups. At age 66 on medicare he finds out his prostrate is eat up and had to have it removed. He lost his sex life.

Case B a 55 year old Pharmacist diagnosed with prostrate cancer elects to treat it with alternate medicine. He died at 57.

Becareful with alternate medicine and procrastination. Sometimes surgery is the better choice but how does one know.
happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2017, 10:00 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Alternative medicine works very slowly. If you need surgery do right away. I'm always big advocate for alternative medicine but it depends on the case.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:50 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My DH was diagnosed with prostate cancer at age 49. The doc wanted to operate but after seeking out 2 other opinions we did a test and watch for the next 3 years. Then instead of the surgery when his numbers went high he did the radiation seeds which also have side effects but less then the surgery. He has been fine even though now he is 58.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:02 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard4444 View Post
About 15 years ago (at age ~52), all of a sudden I couldn't move my left shoulder without pain, even wasn't able to reach my wallet in my back pocket. I went to first my Primary who referred me to the shoulder doc, who had me do PT first, then returned to him no better and he asked: "How do you feel about surgery ?" I had a partially torn rotator cuff. So I went home and googled "rotator cuff" and the first Ad was a Rubber Band kit for $19.95 which I bought, did my own PT and use lots and lots of ice. I've been symptom free since !

Rich
Great story. Good work!

Ha
Old 04-30-2017, 04:07 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard4444 View Post
About 15 years ago (at age ~52), all of a sudden I couldn't move my left shoulder without pain, even wasn't able to reach my wallet in my back pocket. I went to first my Primary who referred me to the shoulder doc, who had me do PT first, then returned to him no better and he asked: "How do you feel about surgery ?" I had a partially torn rotator cuff. So I went home and googled "rotator cuff" and the first Ad was a Rubber Band kit for $19.95 which I bought, did my own PT and use lots and lots of ice. I've been symptom free since !

I have a high school friend who I reconnected with who is a Doc who only does shoulder surgeries, and he told me that everyone at an older age has some degree of rotator cuff tears, some are symptomatic and some are not. Only the full rotator cuff tear (full as opposed to partial) requires surgery for sure.

Just my experience being passed on

Rich
Good job on your shoulders. I injured my shoulders doing reversed standing Pose in yoga. It's been years as in 10-12 years and despite lots of massage, acupuncture and Rolfing, they were only marginally better, until I've read online to keep stretching it. I did constantly. I'm now 100% rotation on the right shoulder. The left shoulder is 95%. But I'm still stiff in the middle in the morning when I get up. But it's definitely better than 5-7 years ago. The shoulder problems kept me up at night, sleep problem.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:31 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
a tale about two separate cases.
Case A 61 year old diagnosed with a slow prostrate cancer. He lost his insurance and never did any follow ups. At age 66 on medicare he finds out his prostrate is eat up and had to have it removed. He lost his sex life.
I have a friend who was diagnosed with prostate cancer in his mid-40s. In his case, surgery probably saved his life. Surgeons found that the cancer had spread beyond the prostate "capsule," and he required follow-up radiation. He's doing well more than 15 years later, although he's still experiencing some side-effects from the surgery, such as sexual dysfunction (I talked with him about his experience after I was diagnosed with prostate cancer).

As part of my "active surveillance" of my condition, I have a regular blood test for prostate-specific antigen (PSA). I'm well under 3, so I feel pretty comfortable putting off surgery.

Of course, I also get the "fickle finger" exam as part of my annual checkup.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:48 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Crooked: Outwitting the Back Pain Industry and Getting on the Road to Recovery

I listened to the author on a Commonwealth Club podcast. Her research was interesting.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:57 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I also had a shoulder problem many years ago which I attributed to moving some heavy furniture around the house since it popped up two days after that. For a good month I could not move my arm above my shoulder level. I was patient, did some simple stretching exercises when I remembered to do them, and three months later I as fine. No re-occurrence.

Had back pains for a while. I started doing planks three times a week for a minute to maybe 90 seconds. Pain is gone, back is fine.

Knee bothered me at night due to cartlidge surgery decades ago. I ride my bike 2-3 days a week and it keeps the knee pain away. The knee is still finicky, but given that it is bone-on-bone remarkably OK for 95% of what I like to do in life. The rest of the time I take ibuprofen and keep on.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Surgery? Risk? Alternatives...
Old 06-24-2017, 08:50 PM   #49

Surgery? Risk? Alternatives...

My knee is getting much better now, a combination of acupuncture, hot stone massage, and walking on sandy beach in Hawaii, the sand is very good for you feet.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:12 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Surgery should be the last resort, even though I had 3 surgeries

Over the years, I saw many doctors due to many health issues. The qualities, opinions and believes of doctors differ tremendously. I would never totally believe anyone. Always, always do your homework especially nowadays that information are so easily researched on the web. Also what works for one person may or may not work well for another. A lot of times it is trial and error.

I am a big believer of eating well, exercise and other alternatives. But at times, taking medicine or doing surgery might be the best choice.
GoodWishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:39 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I never know what the term "sexual dysfunction" actually means.

No sex at all, or just "dysfunctional" sex? Some people pay for that stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
He's doing well more than 15 years later, although he's still experiencing some side-effects from the surgery, such as sexual dysfunction
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:45 PM   #52

Quote:
Def A: Can't do it like you used to

Def B: Can't do it like you wish you could
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:17 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

No sex at all, or just "dysfunctional" sex? Some people pay for that stuff.
Modern prostate surgery is often described as "nerve sparing" -- the prostate has an extensive neural network that can influence penile erection, orgasm and urinary continence. Of course, there's a human behind the surgical robot, and there's no guarantee that he/she can spare every nerve. Results may vary.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote