Surprise! Your Medicare Premium Could Soar Next Year

Makes me feel good? Wasn't there a Philip K. Dick story about equalizing everybody, so that if you saw someone burdened down with weights and wearing thick goggles and earplugs you knew they were of peak physical condition? Much rather be able to pay increased premiums than have difficulty paying for health care.

Per article:

"....Perhaps most controversially, those who choose to pay their Medicare Part B premiums directly instead of having them deducted from Social Security payments would also be at risk of higher costs. This typically occurs among those Medicare recipients who haven't yet started taking Social Security benefits, and it's a particularly arbitrary distinction that makes little policy sense...."

Another factor in considering when to take SS!!!

Then again, there's a lot of 'could, perhaps, potentially, maybe' here.

Kind of glad I didn't take Part B (I have federal HI so B is optional although most retirees take it). I didn't realize this process existed. Since I don't get SS I couldn't take part B charges out of it so no hold harmless.

Makes me feel good? Wasn't there a Philip K. Dick story about equalizing everybody, so that if you saw someone burdened down with weights and wearing thick goggles and earplugs you knew they were of peak physical condition? Much rather be able to pay increased premiums than have difficulty paying for health care.
HARRISON BERGERON

by Kurt Vonnegut

Harrison Bergeron

HARRISON BERGERON

by Kurt Vonnegut

Harrison Bergeron

Yup - my mistake on the author, but that is just the story I was thinking of. Doesn't read like as great a story now, but it sure made an impression way back when. Handicapping as a means of equalization. At least in this case the handicap of higher medicare rates on the better off should be available to continue medicare for those less well heeled. presumably.

Back
Top Bottom