Join Early Retirement Today

Suspend FEHB for Medicare Advantage
Old 03-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Suspend FEHB for Medicare Advantage

Kaiser offers a wonderful Medicare Advantage Plan with the option of dental coverage. I read on the OPM website that I can suspend my retiree health insurance. Have any one on this board done that?

The reason why I want to change is my dentist. It seems to me that he is very aggressive and now just sent a letter sharing all the office equipment upgrades he is planning. I wanted to call his office to ask how much of this he expects me to pay for! I know Kaiser will do what needs to be done and not rip me off.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2014, 07:02 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

From OPM's website:

If you are an annuitant or former spouse, you can suspend your FEHB coverage to enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan, eliminating your FEHB premium. (OPM does not contribute to your Medicare Advantage plan premium.) For information on suspending your FEHB enrollment, contact your retirement office. If you later want to re-enroll in the FEHB program, generally you may do so only at the next Open Season unless you involuntarily lose coverage or move out of the Medicare Advantage plan's service area

Old 03-21-2014, 08:51 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In 3 1/2 yrs, I will consider possibly suspending my FEHB to see how Tricare fits us. Of course, by that time, Tricare will probably have changed a good bit.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
From OPM's website:

If you are an annuitant or former spouse, you can suspend your FEHB coverage to enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan, eliminating your FEHB premium. (OPM does not contribute to your Medicare Advantage plan premium.) For information on suspending your FEHB enrollment, contact your retirement office. If you later want to re-enroll in the FEHB program, generally you may do so only at the next Open Season unless you involuntarily lose coverage or move out of the Medicare Advantage plan's service area
I read that as well but how does one "contact your retirement office"? Who is the 'retirement office' for a long time retiree? What is the procedure to suspend and then, if desired to re-enroll? How would that impact my husband should I pre-decease him?

I galls me that OPM does not provide specific information on their website.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:28 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I read that as well but how does one "contact your retirement office"? Who is the 'retirement office' for a long time retiree? What is the procedure to suspend and then, if desired to re-enroll? How would that impact my husband should I pre-decease him?

Check out these links -
http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/ri79-9.pdf
How can annuitants or former spouses suspend FEHB coverage to use TRICARE or CHAMPVA? - OPM.gov

I may be interested in this option when I'm eligible for medicare so I always like to keep up on this.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:20 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post

I didn't read Powerplay"s links which may have details, but your retirement office is OPM at Boyers PA.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I didn't read Powerplay"s links which may have details, but your retirement office is OPM at Boyers PA.
AFter posting this I read today's Post and found an article about the OPM Boyers Retirement facility. Still a paper based process. That would tend to make you worry about whether you would ever be able to get your FEHB back but the civil service trolls slaving away in the mountain are pretty diligent and eventually get he job done.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:06 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I met with the Kaiser Medicare Advantage enrollment person today, showed her my OPM forms. She said she has not seen how they handle return from suspended FEHB yet but it appears that I have all the paperwork in order.

Signed the enrollment forms, coverage effective April 1. Now to figure out if my Fed dental insurance is tied to FEHB. Kaiser NW dental coverage is decent but maybe I will wait a couple months to see if there is enough work to be done to justify keeping Federal Dental.

For those considering this it closes the last day of March because of ACA, otherwise it is 'open season' or life events, only.