Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Will the Swine Flu Health Emergency Affect Your Behavior?
Yes 36 36.73%
No 54 55.10%
Option 3 for those who want it. 8 8.16%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2009, 10:54 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve88 View Post
The health department or CDC like to sound the alarm. My sister works for them and she said hardly anything is going on that her job as an epi is so boring. They like to sound the alarm when they see an opportunity.
It's also a great CYA move. Imagine not sounding the alarm on the big one. Not only will a lot of people lose their jobs, there may even be criminal prosecution.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2009, 11:52 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
There's no harm in caution, but most likely the numbers we're talking about are going to be very small. I may take a few extra precautions but I don't see myself going around wearing surgical masks or putting a few tissues between me and the shopping cart handle unless I see serious reason to think this will be a potential 1918-1919 situation. And even then I'd cocoon myself in our small town in the boonies and improve my odds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
It's also a great CYA move. Imagine not sounding the alarm on the big one. Not only will a lot of people lose their jobs, there may even be criminal prosecution.
One of the reasons that the Great Influenza became a pandemic is because civic leaders downplayed or downright ignored the warnings of the medical professionals. The book had one fascinating example after another of how to make a bad situation worse-- like shooting yourself in the foot with a double-barrelled shotgun.

Homeland Security and FEMA have been working on pandemic response plans ever since SARS and the threat of bird flu. They've been leaning forward for months, so this sounds like a great opportunity to throw everything into action and see how it all works out. I'm surprised Hawaii hasn't had a few "crossroads of the Pacific" cases already. The first planeload to approach Honolulu with a few sniffling passengers will find itself diverted to the abandoned Barbers Point airfield before they even start their descent. And I'm really glad spouse has retired from her emergency-planning disaster-recovery Reserve billet...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:11 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had planned a trip to Mexico City this summer, when the weather is nicer and the air turns a delightful shade of brown. . I also had planned to spend a few days at chicken and pig farm outside of Mexico City (sort of dude ranch experience). My friend was ok with risking the kidnapping and being in the center of a drug wars, but the pig farm was a bit much.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:30 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

People in Mexico City are certainly taking this very seriously. Public places like restaurants and shops may be closed for 10 days, according to the CNBC Web site quoting the Mayor of the city. Millions have been staying home. There are talks of shutting down public transportation.

Other than going to work, I don't go out in public places much. Until there is a clear indication of a pandemic, I have no plan yet to go to my 2nd home in the high-country boonies.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:31 AM   #25

We are going on a cruise in 3 weeks that stops in 2 places in Mexico. Major bummer to have to be concerned about this. Will have to step up the handwashing even more. We won't be eating or drinking anything in Mexico, but that won't help us much if this gets passed onto cruise passengers...

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:33 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I voted no. I take care of my self and have always been a stickler for hand washing....nurse's training never leaves ya. This thing is in danger of being over hyped. I am glad to see that good information on what this is and what to do is circulating out there. Hope fully that will offset some of the panic headlines I am seeing.

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/investigation.htm

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Health/Swi...7434501&page=1

http://www.getpandemicready.org/

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/mitigation.htm

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:04 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
We are going on a cruise in 3 weeks that stops in 2 places in Mexico. Major bummer to have to be concerned about this. Will have to step up the handwashing even more. We won't be eating or drinking anything in Mexico, but that won't help us much if this gets passed onto cruise passengers...
Wow. So everyone gets off the boat at two places in Mexico, congregates in crowded markets and restaurants with vendors who no doubt travel to Mexico City, then everyone gets back on the boat where they remain in close contact with everyone else? It looks like the incubation period is short for most versions of swine flu--one source says 1-5 days from exposure to symptoms/onward contagion.

Well, bring a quart of hand sanitizer.

I wonder if the cruise company will modify these cruises--either stop at more remote locations (some of those little private islands that dot the Caribbean) or maybe just delay these cruises for a few months. Do those trip insurance policies pay off in the event of pandemic?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post

I wonder if the cruise company will modify these cruises--either stop at more remote locations (some of those little private islands that dot the Caribbean) or maybe just delay these cruises for a few months. Do those trip insurance policies pay off in the event of pandemic?
I don't know but I may be having this conversation with my travel agent soon if this continues to worsen.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:01 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Wowser! I voted option three - one family member is trying to revive the Baja trip to Mexico for July - right before this news broke.

Yes, no -send reservation money? Do not know.

heh heh heh -
Old 04-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Even people who know what they are talking about cannot predict what will happen, as contrasted to what might happen.

So we are mainly just blowing smoke. 6 months or a year from now we should know more.

Ha
Old 04-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #31

This BBC site has some posts from doctors and other medical people in Mexico city that contradict the mainstream press reports. Their reports are that the epidemic started a while before the press starting reporting it and that there are more deaths than have been reported. BBC NEWS | Have Your Say | Swine flu: Your experiences

I'm going to Maui at beginning of June and I won't be stopped!
Old 04-27-2009, 02:44 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post

I'm going to Maui at beginning of June and I won't be stopped!
Ah just in time for the great white shark convention, and dengue fever season, have fun
Old 04-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Ah just in time for the great white shark convention, and dengue fever season, have fun
I didn't realize there was dengue in Hawaii, I just thought it was in the tropical parts of the mainland US, Latin America and the Caribbean. I guess with the swine flu nobody will worry about dengue for a while.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:42 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve88 View Post
The health department or CDC like to sound the alarm. My sister works for them and she said hardly anything is going on that her job as an epi is so boring. They like to sound the alarm when they see an opportunity.
I am always amazed at this level of cynicism.
Every news report I have seen has been very clear about this being a situation to be concerned about, but not to panic over.
In the press conferences with the CDC or National Security they have also done an excellent job of stating the same thing.
Updates are coming often (twice a day at least).

Why is it so difficult for people to believe that people that work at the CDC perhaps want to do their job? Or that the level of information is for the benifit of the people who hear the information?
Old 04-27-2009, 04:07 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Well, we may have the solution to high unemployment!

Quote:
It doesn't sound like anything to worry about in the US, since nobody has died and it has been very mild.
That logic shouldn't allay your fears. If I understand correctly: It could be that the flu variety that got to the US is a mutation that caused only mild symptoms. However, that doesn't mean that the deadly Mexico City variety won't get here.

Probably nothing, but one of these times a bad flu is going to get loose.

I was a little surprised that the dept of homeland security is involved in this. I guess viruses are terrorists.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I guess viruses are terrorists.
If you get it, no. If I get it, yes.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:47 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
If you get it, no. If I get it, yes.
Yeah but but - do I go to Mexico in July or not - or just go as far as Amarillo and hang out.

heh heh heh - hmmmm
Old 04-27-2009, 05:35 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

An update
WHO raises pandemic alert to phase 4 - Swine flu- msnbc.com
Old 04-27-2009, 06:03 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

According to the news tonight, one seven year old child has been diagnosed with the swine flu and two other children are "probable". They go to a school in Richardson, TX...this school is closed for the remainder of the week.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I won't change anything as I wash my hands almost obsessively now, have hand sanitizer on my desk at the office, and a tub of those Clorox wipes that I use on my keyboard, desk, phone, etc. Let me modify my answer a little to say that if I get the flu, I'll probably go to the doctor. Since I rarely get sick, I guess I think I'm bullet proof!