Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Will the Swine Flu Health Emergency Affect Your Behavior?
Yes 36 36.73%
No 54 55.10%
Option 3 for those who want it. 8 8.16%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

I went in chase bank today with my mask on. 2 security guards lock the doors and a patrol unit showed up. I had a black jacket on. every teller was staring at me to see what my first word would come out of my mouth. To make it more interesting I reached in the back waist and the secrity guard hand were now on their guns.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2009, 07:08 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Did we mention that Maui has one of the state's largest populations of Latin American immigrants?

Did we mention that Hawaii has the nation's highest rates of hepatitis, tuberculosis, dengue fever, and West Nile virus?
Gee, thanks, Nords, for pointing that out while I'm dreaming fervently of my tropical reprieve from snowy colorado. (Three snows in the past 30 days.) Are you Hawaii residents trying to dissuade tourists these days? In any case, with respect to your warning I won't be kissing any Hawaiians while on Maui.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:25 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm more curious about the folks who recovered from this flu. There must be hundreds of them in Mexico. The last time I had the flu, I was in bed for a full week. I imagine that if I get it, I will be in bed for a full week again. I guess I don't see a reason to go to a doctor unless I start coughing up blood.

I've taken Tamiflu before, but I found it absolutely useless ... probably because you need to start taking it before you get sick. And it makes you puke. So if you take it after you get the flu, it does you no good whatsoever. But it was also reported a while ago that most current flu viruses are resistant to these influenza neuraminidase inhibitors now.

Anyways, any stories on how long it takes to recover from this virus?

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/guidance_homecare.htm
Old 04-28-2009, 07:33 PM   #64

Quote:
I went in chase bank today with my mask on. 2 security guards lock the doors and a patrol unit showed up. I had a black jacket on. every teller was staring at me to see what my first word would come out of my mouth. To make it more interesting I reached in the back waist and the secrity guard hand were now on their guns.
Steve, are you serious? Where are you at? NYC??
Old 04-28-2009, 07:39 PM   #65

Quote:
One of the reasons medical experts are nervous about the swine flu outbreak is that many of the people who have died in Mexico have been young and otherwise healthy.
That's kind of scary.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:46 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Zathras,
Why would we suspect, just because the party in power said something like "Never let a good crisis pass you buy" And, just to show you I don't blame the current leaders of government, the past leaders did the same!
Yes, obviously it is a plot to cause everyone to cough into their sleeves and buy more dial soap
And yes, an INDIVIDUAL that is a member of the democratic party made that statement, and most likely cost himself the next election.
And yes, lots of politicians in both parties were probably thinking the same thing every time a crisis comes around, just few are stupid enough to say it.

Refusing to take simple, yet effective precautions seems to me to be similar to standing outside when a tornado sirens are sounding. The government controls those sirens, it must be untrue that there is really any danger??
Old 04-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #67

I am washing my hands more, keep hand sanitizer in the car also. Have beefed up my diet with extra vitamins and I am rethinking my vacation plans which involved foreign air travel. I think I might take a car trip instead. I am also trying to get more sleep and I am staying away from crowded venues where food sanitation might be less than optimal.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:06 PM   #68

Well, looks like the cruise lines are taking this seriously.

Swine Flu Update: Mexico Cruise Itinerary Changes - Various

Our cruise in less than 3 wks is supposed to stop in Cozumel and Progresso. Looks like now it will go Key West plus add a sea day. The changes are effective for current cruises and those departing 4/30 - 5/4/09.

I've never been to Key West, and love sea days, so I'm fine if it changes for us, and I'm happy they are taking the risk seriously. We are also able to reschedule if we like.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:33 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
Are you Hawaii residents trying to dissuade tourists these days?
Actually the visitor numbers are even worse than they were the month after 9/11. Last November's visitor drop was the worst since Hawaii started keeping records-- in 1927. Waikiki is so quiet that even a few locals have been observed patronizing the local busineses. Bargains & discounts abound. So, no, c'mon over and jumpstart our local economy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
In any case, with respect to your warning I won't be kissing any Hawaiians while on Maui.
Yeah, sure, that's what they all say when they're getting off the plane, but then...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:42 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Steve, are you serious? Where are you at? NYC??
i am serious. i had a good laugh
Old 04-29-2009, 05:37 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

I am doing nothing now and don't plan to change. I ain't going to Mexico this week, but then I wasn't planning to.

I won't be going to crowded places, though. I already wash my hands like crazy.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:23 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve88 View Post
i am serious. i had a good laugh
I thought you had made a funny joke. But if you were serious, wow, that's really funny... and a bit scary.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:58 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Swine flu and the internets...

xkcd - A Webcomic - Swine Flu

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I wonder if the cruise company will modify these cruises--either stop at more remote locations (some of those little private islands that dot the Caribbean) or maybe just delay these cruises for a few months. Do those trip insurance policies pay off in the event of pandemic?
It now appears that at least some of the cruise lines are now going to skip the Mexican part of their itinerary for at least the rest of the spring cruising season. These will be replaced with other ports of call or an extra day at sea depending on the cruise line and the specific itinerary.

In such a case, currently ticketed passengers may be allowed to change their travel date without penalty.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:15 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

In case you missed this in another thread, it's important that you all know the symptoms of the swine flu:

1. Headache
2. Cough
3. An irresistible urge to make love in the mud.

-----------------

I remember hearing that joke in the 70s when the last swine flu came around.

------------

I seem to remember that some flus, perhaps like this one, are more deadly to younger people, but I don't remember why.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:30 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Wasn't the 70s swine flu the one whose vaccine caused some people to develop Guillain-Barré Syndrome?

Ha
Old 04-29-2009, 05:49 PM   #77
Administrator

This flu is spreading quickly!

This morning a school in Lafayette, Louisiana was closed because five of the children at that school had flu (one had just returned from Mexico). The state health department determined that they had a Type A flu that could be swine flu, but the final determination has to be done at the CDC.

This afternoon, the media revealed that a child in New Orleans who was in Mexico last week has the flu. Again, it is thought to be the swine flu, but only the CDC can make that determination and any associated announcements.

An outbreak of flu this late in the season seems unlikely, unless it is the swine flu. I would imagine it is spreading equally fast in other states.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:46 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve88 View Post
From the Reason Magazine blog today:

Three armed thieves wore the blue surgical masks now ubiquitous in flu-hit Mexico City to hide their faces as they robbed watches from a department store, Mexican media said Monday....
Employees and security guards at a branch of the Sanborns department store told the daily Excelsior the thieves were able to slip through the shop Sunday without attracting attention as they blended into a sea of masked shoppers.

I voted Option 3, since I tend to agree with Ha on hindsight. However, I probably should have voted yes, since I've started my own Swine Flu Immunity program. I'm vaccinating myself with increasing doses of pork barbecue and bacon. I can't catch the flu if I'm dead from a heart attack!
Old 04-29-2009, 07:58 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Well, looks like the cruise lines are taking this seriously.

Swine Flu Update: Mexico Cruise Itinerary Changes - Various

Our cruise in less than 3 wks is supposed to stop in Cozumel and Progresso. Looks like now it will go Key West plus add a sea day. The changes are effective for current cruises and those departing 4/30 - 5/4/09.

I've never been to Key West, and love sea days, so I'm fine if it changes for us, and I'm happy they are taking the risk seriously. We are also able to reschedule if we like.

You will enjoy Key West . The have a conch train tour that takes you all over and explains the history of Key West and then there are the bars and shops . Lots of water activities but it is a definite party town especially the sunset celebration .P.S. try the conch chowder
Old 04-29-2009, 08:11 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
You will enjoy Key West . The have a conch train tour that takes you all over and explains the history of Key West and then there are the bars and shops . Lots of water activities but it is a definite party town especially the sunset celebration .P.S. try the conch chowder
Sounds great, and I will indeed try the chowder!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote