Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Will the Swine Flu Health Emergency Affect Your Behavior?
Yes 36 36.73%
No 54 55.10%
Option 3 for those who want it. 8 8.16%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2009, 02:00 PM   #141
gone traveling

This swine flu pandemic has gone on longer than expected; there is now a dangerous shortage of surgical masks, forcing people to look to other means of protection.

Here are a couple of low-cost suggestions:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swineflujpg.jpg (25.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg swineflu2jpg.jpg (30.9 KB, 2 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

They have sequenced the genome....
Old 05-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

They have sequenced the genome....

Canada’s National Microbiology Laboratory in Winnipeg First in World To Decode Genetic Makeup of H1N1 Flu Viruss - Public Health Agency of Canada

which means they can now start making the vaccine. However, manufacturing for the "regular" flu vaccine has already commenced. They will have to decide whether there is time to incorporate H1N1 into it and protect us all when this comes back in the Fall.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:27 PM   #143
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations to the Canadian virologists! Great work!

Ha
Old 05-06-2009, 05:57 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Canada’s National Microbiology Laboratory in Winnipeg First in World To Decode Genetic Makeup of H1N1 Flu Viruss - Public Health Agency of Canada

which means they can now start making the vaccine. However, manufacturing for the "regular" flu vaccine has already commenced. They will have to decide whether there is time to incorporate H1N1 into it and protect us all when this comes back in the Fall.
Way to go, neighbours!
Is the long plan-ahead timing for the vaccine due to growing things in a Petri dish and testing for purity and packaging?
I was asleep in Biology that day.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:55 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Well, we did get the h@ll out of Texas!

We already had the trip planned, but decided not to delay the trip to wait out the endless days of bad weather (thunderstorms) headed our way.

And we bought some of that alcohol hand wash stuff and have a tube in the car and one in the RV and use it whenever we go to public places - grocery store, truck stop, etc.

Our RV is always well stocked. We usually stay out in the boonies. In Arkansas right now (also planned). No cases here yet.

Hopefully this strain stays mild. Finger's crossed.

Audrey
Old 05-07-2009, 12:16 AM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Is the long plan-ahead timing for the vaccine due to growing things in a Petri dish and testing for purity and packaging?
I was asleep in Biology that day.
I'm not an expert, but yeah, that's about it. The pharmaceutical companies will crank up the assembly lines now (they need to grow lots of virus as a first step, but with the genome, that's fairly straightforward). Usually the vaccine is actually manufactured and safety tested by September and is then distributed far and wide before we begin rolling up our sleeves in October. The problem is, if they mothball it waiting for H1N1, the "regular" flu may arrive in town before the vaccine.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:43 AM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I'm not an expert, but yeah, that's about it. The pharmaceutical companies will crank up the assembly lines now (they need to grow lots of virus as a first step, but with the genome, that's fairly straightforward). Usually the vaccine is actually manufactured and safety tested by September and is then distributed far and wide before we begin rolling up our sleeves in October. The problem is, if they mothball it waiting for H1N1, the "regular" flu may arrive in town before the vaccine.
I heard the vaccine will take until late summer to manufacture, due to how it is made with chicken eggs or something

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #148
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I heard the vaccine will take until late summer to manufacture, due to how it is made with chicken eggs or something
We're still cultivating it in chicken eggs, a 50 year old technology. There is work being done on better and faster methods; no way will the new methods be ready by this year's flu season.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
We're still cultivating it in chicken eggs, a 50 year old technology. There is work being done on better and faster methods; no way will the new methods be ready by this year's flu season.
And, we're lucky this is swine flu. I've read that a bird flu vaccine cannot be cultivated using the chicken egg incubation method, so we'll have virtually no chance to produce millions of doses of a bird flu vaccine in a few months (until we develop and field a technology that doesn't depend on chicken eggs).
Old 05-07-2009, 05:10 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

It's not clear how long the vaccine will take.....

BBC NEWS | Health | How to make a swine flu vaccine

Experimental swine flu vaccine expected in weeks
Old 05-07-2009, 08:37 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Very interesting Meadbh; thank you.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:41 AM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well, we did get the h@ll out of Texas!

Audrey
Au contraire; there's still plenty of hell left in Texas...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:47 AM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Au contraire; there's still plenty of hell left in Texas...
So glad you said that...
I was going to, but my zip code wisely held me back.
Catapult launched rotten tomatoes have a longer range these days, I'm told.

Redemption clause: I've been to TX a few times and enjoyed the journey every time.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:02 AM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
So glad you said that...
I was going to, but my zip code wisely held me back.
Catapult launched rotten tomatoes have a longer range these days, I'm told.

Redemption clause: I've been to TX a few times and enjoyed the journey every time.
I've never been there, cuz: "All my exes live in Texas"........

Old 05-08-2009, 09:04 AM   #155
Give me a forum ...

I for one have taken comfort in the fact that you, Moemg and Rich in Tampa haven't freaked out about this swine flu thing. I trust that if things really get bad, you three will let us know, I trust you guys.......

Old 05-08-2009, 02:19 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I for one have taken comfort in the fact that you, Moemg and Rich in Tampa haven't freaked out about this swine flu thing. I trust that if things really get bad, you three will let us know, I trust you guys.......
I'm going to my niece's graduation from college tomorrow. She just got back from Cancun 2 weeks ago so I'm going to wear a surgical mask. I'm sure that will make her proud of her uncle.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:22 PM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks FD!

My healthcare organization has been issuing daily bulletins and advice and all resources related to the outbreak are easily accessible online. There is even an influenza dashboard with realtime information. Pandemic planning has been ongoing since SARS and we are probably better prepared for a pandemic than at any time in history. As of today, the level of readiness is being stepped down, to be reactivated at any time there is an uptick in the numbers or other red flags. Just like investors, we have become active rather than passive managers.

I for one do not think the WHO has been alarmist (other than panicking about pork, which appears to be perfectly safe unless you eat pigs who have died of natural causes). This is a serious matter. If it is under control now, it's not by accident, but because of all the monitoring and intervention that has, and is, being done. For example, in China, if H1N1 gets in and combines with the H1N5 avian virus already there, it would be a very dangerous virus. That's why China quarantined a bunch of Canadian students. It made perfect sense to do so.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
I'm going to my niece's graduation from college tomorrow. She just got back from Cancun 2 weeks ago so I'm going to wear a surgical mask. I'm sure that will make her proud of her uncle.
But how will you take your meds with the mask on?

Old 05-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Darn it! 5 cases showed up in Arkansas, 4 in the county where we are camped right now! Serves us right for spending some time near the biggest city, but we really needed a Whole Foods Market fix - last visit was in Jan. Doing some shopping accompanied by lots of hand cleaning, and then we'll be heading into more remote areas in a few days.

Oh - wait! Those 4 cases are from out-of-state airmen training at a nearby army base. Maybe a wee bit more contained than one might expect under normal circumstances.

Audrey
Old 08-20-2009, 11:37 PM   #160
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Same thing I do to protect myself from the 'average flu'. Get my shots, wash my hands more often.