Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Will the Swine Flu Health Emergency Affect Your Behavior?
Yes 36 36.73%
No 54 55.10%
Option 3 for those who want it. 8 8.16%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2009, 08:10 AM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Minimizing my contact with general public (we have 3 prisons and their associated family members in residence and several colleges), not touching public surfaces (doors, faucet handles) directly, washing hands, distancing myself from coughing people, etc.
The cruise ship I was just on in July had some crew members and passengers in isolation. We both caught a bad head cold, but never had fever or intense body aches. We used the sanitizer dispensers religiously.
I checked the CDC site while on board to make sure about our symptoms. We passed 2 "going ashore" thermal scans done by ship's medical staff with no problem.
I checked in with my doc when I returned home and got instructions to monitor symptoms and got the usual rest, fluids, stay home advice.
We got better within a week. Whew!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Unless the swine flu virus mutates into a more virulent form, it is my understanding that, for most healthy folks, its no worse than the usual seasonal flu. What is wrong with a strategy of just trying to stay in good health, be sick for a week if you get it, and then you have immunity unless and until it mutates significantly?

I know from experience that having the flu is no fun. Last time I got it even though I always get the flu shot. But I am not losing any sleep over the swine flu as it is currently being described.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:15 AM   #163

I'll get an H1N1 flu shot if they are available. I'll be doing tax prep Jan-Apr and we share desks, computer keyboards, phones, pens, etc with a lot of people. Then there are the clients, their kids (and all the people they have been exposed to) who will come in and touch all our stuff. Last year I tried to wash my hands between clients and I tried not to touch my face.

At my grocery store they have a Clorox wipes dispenser right next to where you pick up a shopping cart. I'm not sure how much good it does, but I feel better if I can wipe off the cart handles.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:26 AM   #164
Give me a forum ...

CDC, as always, has good easy-to-read summaries
CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Preventing the Flu

No need to go the Howard Hughes route, but a little extra care in regard to normal disease transmission routes (see #2 at the link) will be well worth your trouble.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #165
Give me a forum ...

If the media can time their swine flu fear stories just right, there will be a big panic about flu shots when the H1N1 vaccine comes out, but there isn't enough for everyone.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
Unless the swine flu virus mutates into a more virulent form, it is my understanding that, for most healthy folks, its no worse than the usual seasonal flu. What is wrong with a strategy of just trying to stay in good health, be sick for a week if you get it, and then you have immunity unless and until it mutates significantly?

I know from experience that having the flu is no fun. Last time I got it even though I always get the flu shot. But I am not losing any sleep over the swine flu as it is currently being described.

Normally I would agree with you but two and a half years ago I went on a cruise and got the virsus from h---. I was in bed for twelve days . I literally could not get out of bed I was so sick . I eventually recovered but it left me with my asthma in flareup and so weak I could hardly walk .So I have gained a healthy respect for flu"s . If there is anyway I can get the vaccine I'm getting it .
Old 08-27-2009, 05:35 PM   #167
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
If the media can time their swine flu fear stories just right, there will be a big panic about flu shots when the H1N1 vaccine comes out, but there isn't enough for everyone.
But then there's the offset by the **** anti-vaccine folks telling us it's all a plot to kill people.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:37 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Normally I would agree with you but two and a half years ago I went on a cruise and got the virsus from h---. I was in bed for twelve days . I literally could not get out of bed I was so sick . I eventually recovered but it left me with my asthma in flareup and so weak I could hardly walk .So I have gained a healthy respect for flu"s . If there is anyway I can get the vaccine I'm getting it .
Was in Vegas years ago. Caught something really bad. Never before in my life was I so sick. Find out weeks later there was something going around. Yeah Im all for those flu shots now My sister inlaw got it after they got home. Crazy stuff.

DW says the vaccine for them will be ready in October (RN). I wont be getting it I guess.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #169
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
But then there's the offset by the **** anti-vaccine folks telling us it's all a plot to kill people.
I'm counting on them...

"Think of it as evolution in action."
- Oath of Fealty, by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
Old 08-28-2009, 11:01 AM   #170
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

You left out the part about 'several ounces of gold and 1,000 rounds of ammunition'.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:20 AM   #171
Administrator

At work, we get free yearly flu shots courtesy of your tax dollars. I get one every year, since they seem to give my immunity a little boost and since suffering through influenze is not my idea of fun. Since I am retiring on November 9th, my prediction is that we will be offered our yearly free flu shots about a week afterwards.

That's OK. I predict that one of the HUGE advantages to ER is that I won't be exposed to miserable coughing, sneezing, and feverish co-workers in tight quarters on a daily basis. I may be less likely to contract contagious diseases at home than at work.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:49 AM   #172

WTR,
Does the FEHP cover annual flu shots without copay or deductible?

My health plan (not FEHP) covers it under the prescription drug benefit, if administered by a pharmacist - no co-pay or deductible. If administered by your physician, all the co-pay rules apply.

-- Rita
Old 08-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #173
Administrator

Gotadimple, we have a part time nurse on site, who administers the flu shots. We get a broadcast e-mail telling us when to appear (right there in our building), by the first letter of our last names. While waiting in line, we fill out a short form with information such as allergies and medications. No doctor visit, no co-pay, no insurance involvement, not a dime out of pocket.

I guess it is one of many advantages of being a federal employee. Also, in years when a shortage of flu shots is expected, we seem to get them very shortly after the first responders even when most civilians are still having a hard time getting a flu shot.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I guess it is one of many advantages of being a federal employee. Also, in years when a shortage of flu shots is expected, we seem to get them very shortly after the first responders even when most civilians are still having a hard time getting a flu shot.
The flu shots were (are still?) mandatory for military personnel. The official reason is to maintain readiness and to reduce the odds that a large chunk of a unit will get sick with the flu at the same time. But there's also another angle: DoD provides a ready, reliable customer for millions of doses of the vaccine, even when the stuff is in low demand. The DoD immunization program helps fund the vaccine development infrastructure and reduces the cost of all the shots for everyone else (since the fixed costs of developing the vaccine are spread over more doses). In this way DoD money indirectly subsidizes the medical costs of others in the US and worldwide--especially the elderly.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
At work, we get free yearly flu shots courtesy of your tax dollars. I get one every year, since they seem to give my immunity a little boost and since suffering through influenze is not my idea of fun. Since I am retiring on November 9th, my prediction is that we will be offered our yearly free flu shots about a week afterwards.

That's OK. I predict that one of the HUGE advantages to ER is that I won't be exposed to miserable coughing, sneezing, and feverish co-workers in tight quarters on a daily basis. I may be less likely to contract contagious diseases at home than at work.
Interesting...this was never offered to us. There were Flu Clinics set up by an independent health company in close proximity to but not inside the buildings. We were given a little time mid-morning or mid-day to go get them. The payment had to be done via our FEHB health plan choice.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #176
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Interesting...this was never offered to us. There were Flu Clinics set up by an independent health company in close proximity to but not inside the buildings. We were given a little time mid-morning or mid-day to go get them. The payment had to be done via our FEHB health plan choice.
That is because I work for a COOL agency!!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-29-2009, 01:22 AM   #177

At back to school nite we got a flier that gave a list of precautions to take. One of them included keeping your kid home from school for 5 days if someone in your house has flu symptoms! I can't imagine the amount of school time that could be potentially lost by this, combined with any school-wide closings...should be an interesting year!

Last year had a kid who just got back from Mexico, fell ill and scared the whole school (he was tested and it wasn't H1N1).
Old 08-31-2009, 06:56 PM   #178

I am afraid of it all. My DD is 3.5 and was diagnosed with autism about 1 year ago. I don't really buy in to the whole vaccines cause autism theory, but I worry.

If I skip the flu shots and she gets sick and dies, I'll never forgive myself. If I get it done and it causes regression or further autistic symptoms, I'll never forgive myself.

She has had the seasonal flu shot before. She was autistic since birth, and even before we think. So it wasn't a case of regression that some people see in their kids.

to make matters worse, DD goes to 2 seperate schools (1 daycare 2 days a week, and 1 public school 3 days a week). So, plenty of germs to go around.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:39 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Dex started this thread and he hasn't been around in about a month. I hope he's ok.