Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Will the Swine Flu Health Emergency Affect Your Behavior?
Yes 36 36.73%
No 54 55.10%
Option 3 for those who want it. 8 8.16%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2009, 07:22 PM   #81
Gone but not forgotten

I'd like to change my vote to yes, I am going to change my behavior . The reason is I have asthma and it gets activated by any flu . So while the flu is troublesome for most people it is really dangerous for me . Unfortunately I am flying to NYC on Friday for my nieces wedding hopefully I will not catch the flu. After I return I intend to avoid crowds or ill people and stock my house with supplies in case I do get it .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2009, 07:38 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tough question. I guess when I see people dieing around me I might. As of right now its just on the news. I figure when its my time its my time.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:57 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am washing my hands more, but that's all I have been doing so far.

BUT! If I had to fly somewhere, I would definitely start taking extra vitamin-C and start on echinacea caps a week before the travel day and keep on taking them both until I get back.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:27 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

"But even if there are swine-flu deaths outside Mexico -- and medical experts say there very well may be -- the virus would have a long way to go to match the roughly 36,000 deaths that seasonal influenza causes in the United States each year".

Regular flu has killed thousands since January - CNN.com
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:25 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

I think we really cannot know how big a deal this will be; but as far as I can see there is no reason to think that it will not be a real threat.

Anything I can do I plan to do.

Ha
Old 04-30-2009, 07:35 AM   #86

In all of this hysteria over swine flu, has anyone seen any statistics on the overall risk? That is, for comparison purposes, in the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic, what % of the US population got sick and what % of that group died?

My guess is that those statistics would probably show that any one individual has a very small risk of death and only a moderate risk of even getting sick.

Is this just hype to get you to watch cable news or buy newspapers?
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:38 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
My guess is that those statistics would probably show that any one individual has a very small risk of death and only a moderate risk of even getting sick.

Is this just hype to get you to watch cable news or buy newspapers?
Scientists see this flu strain as relatively mild

Scientists see this flu strain as relatively mild - Los Angeles Times
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:58 AM   #88

No change in behavior. We wash hands regularly anyway, and other than work and school - her last day is today anyway - we pretty much are homebodies. Big party planned next month for DW's graduation but it's in WV, not Mexico.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:08 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
"But even if there are swine-flu deaths outside Mexico -- and medical experts say there very well may be -- the virus would have a long way to go to match the roughly 36,000 deaths that seasonal influenza causes in the United States each year".
While true, there is one additional "fear factor" in play: The "typical" flu almost always kills infants, the elderly and those with suppressed immune systems, whereas this one is cutting down people who should be in the prime of their life -- much as the 1918-19 Spanish flu did. It's highly unlikely, I think, that this will remotely come close to the 1918-19 epidemic.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
It's highly unlikely, I think, that this will remotely come close to the 1918-19 epidemic.
Could you share your reasoning behind this statement?

ha
Old 04-30-2009, 12:03 PM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

I think it would be wise for people to have at least a months worth of stored food, just in case this thing does get bad. let us not forget the public reaction could be worse then what is really going on too. You can buy 50 lb bags of rice at costco/Sams for 20 dollars, and some beans for protein and that will last a long time.

At least some of us ERed people can hide in our houses for a few weeks if we need.

Expect the best and prepare for the worst! This could wind up being nothing, but at the same time, if it does get bad, the unprepared will suffer the most.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:04 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Could you share your reasoning behind this statement?
It's an opinion, a gut feeling. I clearly wasn't stating it as fact and I'm clearly not a public health professional.

For one thing, outside of Mexico it doesn't seem to be particularly fatal -- so far. That could indicate that as it travels and propagates, it may be getting weaker especially in terms of the "cytokine storms" which made the Spanish flu so deadly (and explains why the "healthier" people were hit harder by it -- their stronger immune systems started attacking their own organs). Also I think we have a better idea of the mechanics of transmission and how to avoid infection.

That could be somewhat offset, though, by a more mobile global society. And in any event, it doesn't mitigate the need for common sense and a little preparedness.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:11 PM   #93

I am in Ziggy's camp on this one. I think there are several things that point to this. I believe we are well ahead of the flu this time. We have the ability to produce vaccines. We have much better global communication. Timing wise it is hitting at the end of the US flu season. As one pundit said, they expect the flu to move to the southern hemisphere and return next flu season here. Time to learn about it, and formulate a vaccine. So far, this strain does not seem as virulent, however, we are very early in to the contagion.

Having said all that. I still think it could be worse in the third world countries, were health systems may not be able to cope, and communication, is not as sophisticated.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:16 PM   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Just read a few posts on this thread. Pause. Okay, I washed my hands again and will put up a post-it about disinfecting the keyboard.

Went to the doctor yesterday, an internist who is the primary Spanish-speaking physician in that section. Very busy office, much busier than usual. About three wait-ees had masks on. I complained to SO that they should open another waiting room so that people could spread out! Had to wait about 45 minutes which isn't too bad late in the day. This was a first: they ran out of exam rooms so set me up in another section which looked very clean. Felt like I needed a bath when we got home; got up and 5:00 a.m. and took the bath, etc.

I always wash my hands before touching anything after riding public transit but this could be a huge blow to the idea of using transit at all. However, I won't change my riding habits, will just continue dressing like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img01.jpg (48.3 KB, 3 views)
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:35 PM   #95
Administrator

I am home sick today with a cold. Normally, I might go to w*rk anyway, but in light of current circumstances, I thought it might be best to avoid freaking people out by hacking and coughing all day.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:41 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Voted no.
Living in SW nowhere PA, it'll make no difference in daily life. Not much international travel from here.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:27 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

I like what ol Joe (Biden) said - too bad he had to take it back.

Political correctness being what it is now a days and all that bull.

heh heh heh - that sort of thing just takes the fun out of it.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:17 PM   #98

I had voted option C because I was waiting to see what develops. I'm taking this very seriously now. I'm making an effort to educate my adult children. And I'm buying OTC meds, which I usually never have in the house because I am so rarely sick. But now I'm thinking, what if my son and daughter in law are both sick? I may be the one to take care of them. So I've stocked up on everything I might need. I put it all in a Meds box, that I could carry with me whereever. Taking precautions doesn't hurt anyone.

Here's an excellent interview with Laurie Garrett an award winning health science writer. She provides an excellent overview of the situation now and some possible future behavior of this virus.
http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #99

I'm worried, but am always worried about my 3 yo DD. I wonder if I get it, or DW does, how do we prevent DD from getting it? And vice versa?

I did stock up on OTC meds and asked DW to get some food. She is not worried, but then again she never worries about anything.

I will hit the store tomorrow and get a bunch of shelf stable food. I'll eat it eventually and will feel much better being prepared.

I guess that's what bothers me. I feel like I can't do anything and am just waiting around. SO, its good to take some action, even if its hoarding some food ;-)

ETA: I will feel better (or worse) once leathality is better known...
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:27 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
It's an opinion, a gut feeling. I clearly wasn't stating it as fact and I'm clearly not a public health professional.
Not expecting you to be a public health professional. But also not sure what weight should be given to your gut.

I suppose if it is a very advanced gut it may be able to place probabiliites on all the essentially unknowable factors.

Ha