Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Will the Swine Flu Health Emergency Affect Your Behavior?
Yes 36 36.73%
No 54 55.10%
Option 3 for those who want it. 8 8.16%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Swine Flu Health Emergency - Will it affect your behavior?
Old 04-26-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Swine Flu Health Emergency - Will it affect your behavior?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/27/wo...u.html?_r=1&hp
Will the Swine Flu Health Emergency affect your behavior?
How?
I chose Yes
I'm in Colorado now and the RV park isn't very crowded. I think it will affect my behavior - I might pay more attention to the physical condition of those around me. I might think twice about going to places where people congregate.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Can some add the word Emergency to the Poll question - I don't know how to do it.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Done.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I voted no. I will not change anything at this time however I will follow the news for any heightened threat level.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #5

Is this the same swine flu President Ford saved us from? Do we still have the massive doses of vaccine stocked that we never used?
Old 04-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
Administrator

I will take some precautions. It won't kill me to wash my hands more often. I might even disinfect my desktop and workspace at work (it needs cleaning anyway, so why not?). If I should feel flu-like symptoms, I will be more likely to stay home.

It doesn't sound like anything to worry about in the US, since nobody has died and it has been very mild. But it is a good exercise to take a few precautions. I am not yet inclined to go so far as to wear a mask or anything like that.

(The CDC does not believe it is the same swine flu that caused the panic in the 1970's, FinallyRetired.)

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

FYI some good info here:
1918 flu pandemic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
International Programs

If we use the 100m and the world population at the time of the 1918 outbreak that is a 5.56% death rate.
In today's world that would be 378m
Old 04-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #8

You may have seen on the news that there are a handful of confirmed cases in Texas. They were mild cases but all attended a suburban San Antonio high school. The district announced today it is closing all 14 school campuses for the next week: Schertz-Cibolo-Universal City ISD

I don't recall seeing a school closure of this nature - a day or two yes, but not for an entire week.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:03 PM   #9

I voted #3. Not until I see if this will be like SARS, bird flu, etc. etc. There have been too many dire warnings of impending epidemics that never took place. If this virus is really as deadly as some of the commentators would have us believe, there is little chance that any preventive actions an individual could take would be effective. Just my cynical nature showing through.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You may have seen on the news that there are a handful of confirmed cases in Texas. They were mild cases but all attended a suburban San Antonio high school. The district announced today it is closing all 14 school campuses for the next week: Schertz-Cibolo-Universal City ISD

I don't recall seeing a school closure of this nature - a day or two yes, but not for an entire week.
It was only a matter of time. Maybe being up to date on all shots will help.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:23 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Since I am just getting over a flu with the same symptoms I voted no .Maybe I had the swine flu but no way to tell without cultures . I am concerned for my 93 year old Mother since we are flying to NYC on Friday and if I had plans to travel to Mexico I would cancel them .
Old 04-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/27/wo...u.html?_r=1&hp
Will the Swine Flu Health Emergency affect your behavior?
How?
I already get a flu shot every year and avoid crowds. Not sure what's left.

Was last fall's flu vaccine effective against the swine variety, or would those of us immunized for swine flu during the Ford administration retain any immunity?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Was last fall's flu vaccine effective against the swine variety, or would those of us immunized for swine flu during the Ford administration retain any immunity?
From what I've seen and read, no one knows - this is apparently an entirely new mutation according to a couple of reports I read yesterday.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #14

I voted yes, although it is not, at this point, because of the swine flu outbreak per se.
I have been washing my hands more often and will keep a closer eye on the 'non financial' news.
I view this as a great reminder of how quickly these things can appear out of nowhere.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

Was last fall's flu vaccine effective against the swine variety...?
Not according to the CDC:

Seasonal vaccine no help against swine flu

Quote:
But frequent exposure to flu viruses may provide some immunity, CDC says

Old 04-26-2009, 09:39 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

The health department or CDC like to sound the alarm. My sister works for them and she said hardly anything is going on that her job as an epi is so boring. They like to sound the alarm when they see an opportunity.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:51 PM   #17

I heard one state medical official say he'd rather be chastised for being too aggressive in sounding the alarm than blamed for failure to act. I can sympathize.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:53 PM   #18

There's no harm in caution, but most likely the numbers we're talking about are going to be very small. I may take a few extra precautions but I don't see myself going around wearing surgical masks or putting a few tissues between me and the shopping cart handle unless I see serious reason to think this will be a potential 1918-1919 situation. And even then I'd cocoon myself in our small town in the boonies and improve my odds.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:01 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

sounding the alarm gets their dept a huge chunk of federal money + interview in front of TV.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:49 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

A good book on trying to hide.
The Last Town on Earth: A Novel

Amazon.com: The Last Town on Earth: A Novel: Thomas Mullen: Books
From Publishers Weekly
It is the autumn of 1918 and a world war and an influenza epidemic rage outside the isolated utopian logging community of Commonwealth, Wash. In an eerily familiar climate of fear, rumor and patriotic hysteria, the town enacts a strict quarantine, posting guards at the only road into town. A weary soldier approaches the gate on foot and refuses to stop. Shots ring out, setting into motion a sequence of events that will bring the town face-to-face with some of the 20th-century's worst horrors. Mullen's ambitious debut is set against a plausibly sketched background, including events such the Everett Massacre (between vigilantes and the IWW), the political repression that accompanied the U.S. entry into WWI and the rise of the Wobblies. But what Mullen supplies in terms of historical context, he lacks in storytelling; though the novel is set in 1918, it was written in a post 9/11 world where fear of bird flu regularly makes headlines, and the allegory is heavy-handed (the protagonist townie, after all, is named Philip Worthy). The grim fascination of the narrative, however, will keep readers turning the pages.