Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-03-2009, 01:54 PM   #41

I'm still sort of wondering what sneezing into your sleeves does for your laundry practices.

I get one of those great catalogs for end-timers, and it has these fabulous pallet loads of food that includes 10 gallon pails of flour and 20 days of MREs and that kind of thing. I love envisioning what sort of mailing list profile I've created by requesting this catalog.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think to combat this "swine flu" we should all eat more bacon! Ha! Oh and how I sneeze. Usually I pull my shirt top out and stick my head under the collar if I can. Gets a bit messy but hey saves the general public of my cooties.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #43

And again, it is all about the visuals:

Notmuch, I am envisioning this short top of yours being like some kind of belly shirt, and wondering if the sneeze blows out the bottom of it, covering your daisy dukes.

Must drink this image out of my head now...thanks!

Old 09-03-2009, 03:34 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
And again, it is all about the visuals:

Notmuch, I am envisioning this short top of yours being like some kind of belly shirt, and wondering if the sneeze blows out the bottom of it, covering your daisy dukes.

Must drink this image out of my head now...thanks!
Its ok. I have enough man hair on my belly to capture anything that tries to escape.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #45

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKK!

Men! Gross! And you can be proud that you have managed to outgross Fuego and his bathroom talk, which is no small feat, I assure you!

Old 09-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #46

Quote:
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKK!

Men! Gross! And you can be proud that you have managed to outgross Fuego and his bathroom talk, which is no small feat, I assure you!
I know you ladies are so delicate and beautiful in your bodily functions. Us men must deal with such things. Ill have to dig up the Fuego bathroom talk just as a comparison..
Old 09-03-2009, 05:34 PM   #47

Quote:
I get one of those great catalogs for end-timers, and it has these fabulous pallet loads of food that includes 10 gallon pails of flour and 20 days of MREs and that kind of thing. I love envisioning what sort of mailing list profile I've created by requesting this catalog.
Uh Oh, I actually ordered some stuff from one of those places (food for the hurricane I hope doesn't come). I wonder if all of my wife's foo-foo girly-stuff catalogs counteract that or if it just makes the profile really weird.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:55 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Uh Oh, I actually ordered some stuff from one of those places (food for the hurricane I hope doesn't come). I wonder if all of my wife's foo-foo girly-stuff catalogs counteract that or if it just makes the profile really weird.
I bet you start getting camoflague lingerie catalogs. Or macramé holster kits. Or Louis Vuitton bags to bury your gold coins in.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:19 PM   #49

I think I'm safe. Still have one box of C rations which has coconut cookie and five cigarettes (even though I no longer smoke), and two packs of LRRPs.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:01 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I think I'm safe. Still have one box of C rations which has coconut cookie and five cigarettes (even though I no longer smoke), and two packs of LRRPs.
After the holocaust, it'll be ok to smoke...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #51

I suppose when the world population is 1 person per square mile, second hand smoke won't be a problem either.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #52

Mine is offering a #10 can of nonfat dry milk for $12.99 and they throw in the camo underwear, I think. I really like that the people pictured look really normal standing next to a year's supply of MREs.

HFWR, what was that movie where the two teenagers were in the bomb shelter and the guy convinced the girl it would be patriotic to, ahem, do something?

Old 09-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Got a link?

Then again, there are always folks like this running around: Survivalist Truck Dweller

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:05 PM   #54

Sure, I get the print edition, but here's their website:
Emergency Essentials - Be Prepared Emergency Preparedness Food Storage
I'm actually just a bit "into" this stuff, mostly from when we were provisioning the boat for our trip. I really do like survivalist stuff--must have watched a lot of Grizzly Adams as a child.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #55

My only problem with the truck dweller is the 4,000 volt stun gun. Holy moly! But I had to laugh that he calls it a "bug out vehicle". Our trainer has a friend who is an end-timer and he talks about all the different "bug out bags" he has stashed around his house, work, truck, etc when the bad times come! Whoa!
Living in a van by the river--love that it is applicable to hippies and end-timers both!

Old 09-03-2009, 09:13 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sure, I get the print edition, but here's their website:
Emergency Essentials - Be Prepared Emergency Preparedness Food Storage
I'm actually just a bit "into" this stuff, mostly from when we were provisioning the boat for our trip. I really do like survivalist stuff--must have watched a lot of Grizzly Adams as a child.
I generally think the survivalists are extremely deluded, personally. A collapse of infrastructure is probably the end for them as well as the rest of us. However, I make it a point to be reasonably prepared for emergencies, especially now that I have small children. So we have a case of MREs kicking around the basement (and the camper), I have a water filter equally suitable for hiking or emergencies, and I generally keep the pantry well-stocked with dry goods (which we use anyway). All the rest of it (bars of gold, weapon arsenals, gas masks, Gawd knows what else those loons get up to), is a little silly, IMO.

- Will Rogers
Old 09-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My only problem with the truck dweller is the 4,000 volt stun gun. Holy moly! But I had to laugh that he calls it a "bug out vehicle". Our trainer has a friend who is an end-timer and he talks about all the different "bug out bags" he has stashed around his house, work, truck, etc when the bad times come! Whoa!
Living in a van by the river--love that it is applicable to hippies and end-timers both!
I thought that all those guys believe that they will get transported skywards when the rapture comes? Or are they that convinced in their heart of hearts that they are not "saved?"

Nutballs. If the infrastructure collapses, there is an excellent chance that my kids, wife, etc. don't make it. Not real eager to hang around in those circumstances, anyway, even if I didn't otherwise snuff it in the early rounds.

- Will Rogers
Old 09-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
After the holocaust, it'll be ok to smoke...
Its ok now..

Old 09-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #59

You and I are on the same page, Brew. All of those are good preps.

I just conceded that we could get the pistol that DH wanted, but only with the condition that a friend teach me to shoot it. I really don't want it, but I think it is probably a reasonable concession and an appropriate part of our home defense. We do not have children visit our home but just in case, the gun will be kept in an inaccessible location to others.

Because of power outages with hurricanes and such, this time of year we check all the flashlights, batteries, water jugs, dry and canned goods, propane, etc. as a matter of course. Good practice and not too tin foil hat crazy, I hope.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:21 PM   #60
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
So we have a case of MREs kicking around the basement (and the camper),
After Hurricane Katrina, food was extremely hard to get and there were a lot of MRE's being given out. I was able to find food (not what I wanted, but something anyway) so I didn't partake in MRE's.

I was REALLY surprised when my Weight Watchers leader told us how many calories are in an MRE. For someone like me, one MRE is more calories than I need in two days (six meals). MRE's are supposed to be for extremely active and young guys in demanding situations (to say the least) so the calories just aren't in line with what normal people need.

So, a word to the wise - - if you ever have to use your MRE's, you might want to split one with your wife rather than to eat the whole thing.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote