Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-21-2009, 06:25 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Early in an epidemic or pandemic we check almost all symptomatic patients to guide public health authorities as to where the thing is heading. Once you reach truly pandemic conditions you just assess and treat without the blood test. The treatment is helpful but needs to be started early, is expensive, and has some side effects so it's not for everyone.
In Britain they are prescribing Tamiflu over the phone: if you fit the pattern of symptoms, you get the prescription!

Moe's experience in the doctor's office is all too common. That's exactly how viral illnesses get transmitted: crowds of snotty nosed kids sneezing all over you....

Many of you will not be top priority for H1N1 vaccine. Unless you are pregnant....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2009, 06:29 PM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
In Britain they are prescribing Tamiflu over the phone: if you fit the pattern of symptoms, you get the prescription!
Oh my God! Another failure of Socialized Medicine!
Ha

Old 09-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Wonder if that would work for, say, valium?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:06 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Moe's experience in the doctor's office is all too common. That's exactly how viral illnesses get transmitted: crowds of snotty nosed kids sneezing all over you....

Many of you will not be top priority for H1N1 vaccine. Unless you are pregnant....
I had gotten to the point where I tried to avoid people with young kids when I was still w*rking. I just got tired of them bringing these illnesses into the w*rk area instead of staying home when they were sick.

Let's see...first time at motherhood at 51 ? Or can I just stick my stomach out and fake it ?
Old 09-21-2009, 09:25 PM   #85
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Last week at work we were all given a 15 page tome on how to wash one's hands. Have you ever heard that the proper length of time to wash effectively is the time it takes to sing Happy Birthday twice? That is a long time.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:56 PM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
Last week at work we were all given a 15 page tome on how to wash one's hands. Have you ever heard that the proper length of time to wash effectively is the time it takes to sing Happy Birthday twice? That is a long time.
I have heard that, and also to wash well between fingers and all the way past your wrists, too--do all that and "Happy Birthday" is just about the right amount of time.

I've flown three times in the last six weeks and every time I've come down with a really bad head/chest cold and fever a couple of days afterwards. I wonder if one of those was the swine flu.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:59 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I've flown three times in the last six weeks and every time I've come down with a really bad head/chest cold and fever a couple of days afterwards. I wonder if one of those was the swine flu.
Sounds more like bird flu...

Old 09-22-2009, 03:44 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Sounds more like bird flu...
Not necessarily.....
Old 09-22-2009, 03:59 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

I saw that at a Pink Floyd concert, I think...

Old 09-22-2009, 04:04 PM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Is this where I make a comment about who took the picture of my flying hini?
Old 09-22-2009, 04:33 PM   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
I have heard that, and also to wash well between fingers and all the way past your wrists, too--do all that and "Happy Birthday" is just about the right amount of time.

Whenever I took a flight for a business trip, I caught some sort of cold.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That's exactly how viral illnesses get transmitted: crowds of snotty nosed kids sneezing all over you....
Children are disease delivery devices.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Someone sneezes in row 10, you breathe it in row 25, thanks to the highly optimized recirculating air systems on planes.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:11 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I basically quarantined myself at home until the bronchitis kicked in my asthma and I had to go to the Doctor . The basic symptoms were pretty mild as flu goes . It took about two weeks to resolve .
Old 09-28-2009, 08:03 PM   #95
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My baby grandson (9mo old) has been sick for three weeks and now has an official diagnosis of H1N1. His pediatrician prescribed Tamiflu. They couldn't get the prescription filled at one pharmacy and had to go to another where they were able to get the very last prescription. The baby's dad, my son, also is sick with flu, so it's pretty likely he has H1N1 too. But no Tamiflu available for him. So far baby's mom who is a school teacher is not sick. Not many of the kids at her school have the flu at this point. I have been taking care of my grandson once a week but so far, no flu for me. It's supposed to be easily spread so I don't know why more people are not sick.

My son won't let me take care of them on my usual babysitting day tomorrow. He's being protective of me even though I am not in a high risk group. But I may go over and take the baby out for a stroller ride. This flu is everywhere now! Take care everyone.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #96
Moderator Emeritus

People age 52 or so (and older) were often exposed in the 1957 flu season and many have partial immunity all those years later. People age 65 also have the exposure history but their variable general health and waning immunity make them prime "vulnerable" targets for H1N1 and its complications.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:24 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

I'm so sorry the baby is sick Oldbabe. Bless his heart and yours.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:08 PM   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
People age 52 or so (and older) were often exposed in the 1957 flu season and many have partial immunity all those years later. People age 65 also have the exposure history but their variable general health and waning immunity make them prime "vulnerable" targets for H1N1 and its complications.
Don't know if I had the '57 flu; I think so.

I read something that people who had the "Swine Flu'' shot in '76 might have partial immunity.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:10 PM   #99
Moderator Emeritus

Well, as of today I have seen 5 patients with confirmed H1N1 flu. Four of the 5 had prominent GI symptoms (cramps, diarrhea). That is the one thing clearly different from seasonal flu. All did OK, no shots yet available here.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:31 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, as of today I have seen 5 patients with confirmed H1N1 flu. Four of the 5 had prominent GI symptoms (cramps, diarrhea). That is the one thing clearly different from seasonal flu. All did OK, no shots yet available here.

I can vouch for the diarrhea . I had to stay real close to home .