Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Gindie,

I am not clear on what you are trying to say. Are you suggesting that a spike in insulin is OK because the net amount of insulin realized is less than a slow release over time and therefore its OK to consume processed/fast digesting carbs? From my understanding a slow release of insulin is what one would want and that would correlate with using slow digesting natural carbs.
Not really, and I wish I could remember the source of what I mentioned above (I read tons of stuff on this subject).

The point of my previous post was not to imply that the fast-acting might be better in some cases, but rather that the slow acting might not be as "good" as has been claimed in the past.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gindie View Post
Not really, and I wish I could remember the source of what I mentioned above (I read tons of stuff on this subject).

The point of my previous post was not to imply that the fast-acting might be better in some cases, but rather that the slow acting might not be as "good" as has been claimed in the past.
I have not heard that, however, I believe the end objective is to maintain as stable a blood sugar level as possible for which insulin plays a key role and its my understanding that the good carbs are best if you want to accomplish that. If your insulin/blood sugars are out of wack, that can also lead to creation of body fat and other health issues.

Maybe Rich can give us his opinion.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:13 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have not heard that, however, I believe the end objective is to maintain as stable a blood sugar level as possible for which insulin plays a key role and its my understanding that the good carbs are best if you want to accomplish that. If your insulin/blood sugars are out of wack, that can also lead to creation of body fat and other health issues.
This does seem to be true. However, "natural" does not equate to low GI, or perhaps even more inportant, to low glycemic load. As Al mentioned above, a slice of whole wheat bread will perturb one's blood sugar as much or more than slice of white bread. Also, few foods less processed than a potato, a carrot, or a banana. However all these have realatively high GI, and high G. load.

It seems like in so many other areas, one has to pay attention to the particulars, and not think in broad generalities.

Also, all these things are more important to someone with impaired glucose tolerance, and in fact GI index varies markedly from test subject to test subject. (See Jennie Brand Miller, MD on this)

Ha
Old 04-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This does seem to be true. However, "natural" does not equate to low GI, or perhaps even more inportant, to low glycemic load. As Al mentioned above, a slice of whole wheat bread will perturb one's blood sugar as much or more than slice of white bread. Also, few foods less processed than a potato, a carrot, or a banana. However all these have realatively high GI, and high G. load.

It seems like in so many other areas, one has to pay attention to the particulars, and not think in broad generalities.

Also, all these things are more important to someone with impaired glucose tolerance, and in fact GI index varies markedly from test subject to test subject. (See Jennie Brand Miller, MD on this)

Ha
Agree the GI is more critical to individuals who have impaired glucose sensitivity as it provides an indication of the insulin response when you eat it and its unquestionalby an important piece of the overall nutrition puzzle for everyone (did you see the video I posted on the GI?). However, you also have to keep in mind it has short comings. For example: i) the index is figured out in isolation (eg each food is tested alone to figure out its GI number and we normally do not eat foods in isolation); and ii) the GI of a food sometimes gives an incomplete picture of its impact on blood sugar. Although GL better accounts for the amount of carbs in a food vs GI, and fact that there is a direct relationship between GI and GL, it does not hold for all foods. For example, watermelon has a GI of 72 and a GL of only 4. Another food example that can be misleading is fructose, which has a reasonably low GI, but I'm sure you would agree that is not good for you.

Bottom line, eat good carbs (eg oatmeal, yams. sweet potatoe, beans, lentils, brown rice, vegetable, whole grains) and avoid/limit other not so good ones (eg white rice, pasta, white bread, instant oatmeal, fruit juices, processed cereals, candy).
Old 04-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Bottom line, eat good carbs (eg oatmeal, yams. sweet potatoe, beans, lentils, brown rice, vegetable, whole grains) and avoid/limit other not so good ones (eg white rice, pasta, white bread, instant oatmeal, fruit juices, processed cereals, candy).
That is your bottom line, not the bottom line. I think we do not yet have a bottom line consensus.

Ha
Old 04-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #46

Ha,

Here is another article that you might enjoy. Its pretty heady stuff coming from a body building type, but he is well regarded for cutting thru the Bro Science.
Elements Challenging the Validity of the Glycemic Index
Old 04-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ha,

Here is another article that you might enjoy. Its pretty heady stuff coming from a body building type, but he is well regarded for cutting thru the Bro Science.
Elements Challenging the Validity of the Glycemic Index
Thanks, DFW. Really interesting article. Even the ironheads are intellectuals now. This is so complicated that am moved back toward take it easy, stay away from the deep end if you can't swim.

It does show for sure that it likely will be a long time before anyone can make a definitive map of this.

Ha
Old 04-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It does show for sure that it likely will be a long time before anyone can make a definitive map of this.

Ha
Agree, so you were correct about there not being any definitive bottom line.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Following this thread with interest. I'm not quite ready to jump on the Taube bandwagon - last checked my cholesterol numbers were HDL: 92, LDL: 56 (I assume that's good?) I eat a lot of oatmeal, beans, and seafood but very little processed wheat or sugar -dinner is usually a piece of fish with salad and veggies.

I have, however, been a fan of Dr. Lustig's video for almost a year and have reduced sugar significantly and even cut out a lot of fruit.

The hard part for me is trying to figure out what to feed my 4 year-old son. He's extremely active and at the top of the height charts but borderline underweight by BMI. He looks very healthy to me but it got a mention from the pediatrician and I wonder if they are so used to seeing obese kids now that a skinny one looks weird. He eats similar to us but with some bread for sandwiches. I try to avoid processed filler foods like cereal and crackers, and he's barely ever had juice, let alone soda. Loves cheese and olives and so I usually serve that for a snack. All of the advice these days about feeding kids is to counter obesity and we don't have that problem at all. OTOH he's only 4, growing fast, and burns a lot of energy so not sure low-carb is sound either.