Join Early Retirement Today

TB Test
Old 02-05-2008, 09:17 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

TB Test

Hello, just curious but has anyone ever had a positive reading on a TB test. And if so what procedures did you follow.

Runnerr
runnerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

A positive skin test indicates past exposure. It can occur with no evident disease, or with active disease; BCG vaccine is used in some other countries and can also cause a "false" positive for several years after vaccination. By itself, a positive skin test is not a panic situation.

Depending on your age, chest x-ray, and the context in which it was ordered it can be observed only, treated with months of antibiotics to root out any hidden infection thus preventing active disease in the future, or receive full blown treatment. Preventive antibiotics are a tradeoff decision, since the older you get the more likely the common drugs are to cause liver inflammation.

Hope that helps.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW had a positive test. Chest Xray and 6 months antibiotics. I guess nothing came of it - she's fine now. Probably came from growing up in a 3rd world country. She was sick a lot as a young kid.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, I just needed a little peace of mind as I see the doctor tody after having the chest x-ray yeaterday. Mu age is 59 and I don't drink so I think I will go with the meds for 6 months to a year. thanks again.

Runnerr
Old 02-05-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Rich, I had a positive test in High School and the local Dr. told me to never have another skin test. (Might activate the tubercle?) I've had some serious arguments over the years to follow this advice (think standing in line getting my military service shots/etc.). So now, 40 years later, do you think this is necessary?

T.R.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:59 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeRuh View Post
Rich, I had a positive test in High School and the local Dr. told me to never have another skin test. (Might activate the tubercle?) I've had some serious arguments over the years to follow this advice (think standing in line getting my military service shots/etc.). So now, 40 years later, do you think this is necessary?
Once positive you are always positive, theoretically (not so during certain types of acute illness, though). That's why no need to repeat.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:05 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I have another question. If you test positive and take the drug INH for 6 months to a year to take care of it but there after cannot have another TB test how do you know if you are ever re infected from a different source and get TB again?

thanks,

Runnerr
Old 02-05-2008, 01:40 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerr View Post
I have another question. If you test positive and take the drug INH for 6 months to a year to take care of it but there after cannot have another TB test how do you know if you are ever re infected from a different source and get TB again?
Most clinical tuberculosis is from reactivation of initial infection that went unnoticed for years or even decades. Once you've had INH, that risk is greatly diminished (your PPD stays positive).

While there is a theoretic possibility of a new, primary exposure it is very unlikely. First, in N. America, you are not likely to be secondarily exposed unless you are in a high risk situation. Second, you have some immunity from your first go-around which makes reinfection very uncommon.

The only such secondary cases I've seen are in people who are taking steroids like prednisone or cortisone (as well as chemo and the like), or who have AIDS, and reactivate because of immune suppression.

Bottom line: if you have 6 months of INH for a positive skin test only, you are very unlikely to ever have to worry about recurrent TB.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:03 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

There is some concern over the incidence of MDR (multi-drug resistant) TB entering the country via immigrants (legal and illegal) - several papers have been published about this growing threat. Approx. 50% of pulmonary TB cases in this country are from foreign-born individuals.

Some good info here:
innova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:22 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

In 1966, after standing in line with thousands of other University of Hawaii freshmen, I got my required TB skin test. The results were equivocal - - I think there were four levels with "1" being no TB, and "4" being TB, and I had a "2". I was horrified but was told to do nothing about it and that it was not a problem.

Anyway, I dutifully did nothing. Fast forward 18 years.... my next TB test came out completely clean, without question, and I definitely do not have TB. All I can think is that the "slightly positive" result was not really TB at all.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #11
Administrator

DW had a positive test in 1966 age 11 where we all were tested prior to getting the BCG innoculation. Her Godmother, an aunt got TB and as a baby she had been innoculated as a precaution but they still whisked her off for a chest X-Ray to be sure she was clear. At 11 she didn't need the BCG.

We were both tested for TB in 1998 during our medical for citizenship application and both tested positive. Fortunately the doctor was aware of the practice of BCG innoculations in England so we didn't have to produce any proof or go for an X-Ray.