Teeth

So this morning the root canal office person called and said they had an appointment available at 3PM (I had asked to be informed if they had a cancellation).
I must say I was shaking a little bit when I showed up.
The staff were knowledgeable and efficient and had good 'bedside manner'.
The endodontist was very good at setting me at ease and explaining stuff and answering questions.
I joked with him that this was not on my 'bucket list'.

There was very little pain, but the smells and sounds were something else.

I have a previous appointment with dentist for cleaning on Friday.

Have a follow-up appointment with endo for next week; then need appointment with dentist to put on crown.

Tooth #13; took about an hour; $935 (paid half, pay other half in two months); bought extra-strength Tylenol and some ibuprofen, as recommended, haven't needed them.

I'm in no pain whatsoever.

Last edited:
Really liked my first dentist that I had when I lived in San Diego. After a year or so, he decided that he would not accept our dental insurance from Megacorp. Cash only. Aiming toward the more well healed customers I guess.
Second dentist was pretty good and was willing to accept insurance. The office did not work on Friday or the weekend. Seemed to be the trend there. This put a crimp in my style because I had every next friday off but I still had to take a sick day to get in to see him.

In another city, I asked my dentist if he would give a discount for cash payment. He said that non-insurance customers would pay more, not less.
I like my current dentist. Cash basis. I trust his work.

We have had bad experiences with using dentists without a good recommendation.

In another city, I asked my dentist if he would give a discount for cash payment. He said that non-insurance customers would pay more, not less.

I wonder what the reason was, other than that the dentist was a fool!

At nearly all the dentist offices I have been in, the number of clerical staff to handle paper work is about the same as that of the technical staff. Apparently, haggling with the insurance companies takes a lot of time, and money. I would expect the dentist to appreciate not having to deal with insurance, and at least would charge the same for cash, not more!

There are dentists on this forum, perhaps they can shed a light.

I have a very good dentist; have been going to him for many years since he first bought the practice from previous dentist.

Did not feel I was in any position to haggle.

He drives (drove) a Porsche (more than 20 years old).

I've had six xrays in the last week.

I had a root canal done last year and the cost was close to $2000. I paid about $500 out of pocket.

I was under the impression my dentist would be doing it but when I got there I find an unknown assistant was doing it. I was concerned but did not say anything.

The crown came off in less than eight months. I was told it could not be put back and that I would have to get an implant. Very expensive. So now one tooth is costing me and my insurance company close to $4000.

When I first got the crown the dentist told me not to eat on that side for a while and I didn't. In fact I quit eating on that side all togther because the crown was so loose and painful. From day one I kept calling and even went back for them took at it. The same assistant dentist agreed it was loose but I should give it more time to bond. It had already been four months. They want to blame it on my eating wrong but that's not true.

This is just to say always be sure of the credentials of whoever is doing the work on your mouth, follow all instructions closely and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Good luck to the OP with his procedure but he seems to have a good and competent dentist so he'll be okay.

April

The crown came off in less than eight months. I was told it could not be put back and that I would have to get an implant. Very expensive. So now one tooth is costing me and my insurance company close to $4000.
Trying to look on the bright side, my dental insurance will not pay for implants (which my dentist says would cost me $4500 each), so if the bad crown work made the implant medically necessary and that's why the insurance will pay for at least some of it, maybe you got a nice bargain.

Update: haven't needed any pain killers; went to endontist for checkup today; he says everything looks OK; will go to regular dentist next week for reconstruction of crown.

Getting old sucks.

Just got my cleaning done. Fewer dental problems is an unexpected benefit of no longer eating sugar.

If you don't have many problems, ask your dentist to put you on a 9 month sched instead of a 6 month.

I've always had pain when the hygienist chips away plaque on the inside of my front lower teeth. I mentioned that and she put some topical anesthetic, and there was almost no pain. I wish I'd about that 20 years ago.

Just got my cleaning done. Fewer dental problems is an unexpected benefit of no longer eating sugar.

If you don't have many problems, ask your dentist to put you on a 9 month sched instead of a 6 month.

I've always had pain when the hygienist chips away plaque on the inside of my front lower teeth. I mentioned that and she put some topical anesthetic, and there was almost no pain. I wish I'd about that 20 years ago.

Cleaning last Friday.
Gave up sugar years ago.
Still have enough buildup to need 6 months; was on 4 month schedule for several years.

Wow, how do you all give up sugar? Do you substitute more of some other kind of sweet? :whistle:Or just tough it out?

Amethyst

Thanks to the recent teeth threads, I have developed a paranoia about my teeth. Never had put any thought to them falling apart or having cavities. Haven't had a problem in over 30 years, I guess I'm lucky....so far. Drink regular sodas with daily candy fix. I do try to brush 3x a day and floss with cavity rinse. Maybe that helps some.

Kahn, for that kind of money you can do what my wife did. In Costa Rica the root-canal was $250. We spent another $1500 on vacation :). She's very happy with the work compared with Chicago quote.

Wow, how do you all give up sugar? Do you substitute more of some other kind of sweet? :whistle:Or just tough it out?

Amethyst

Only use sweeteners (sugar or whatever is available) when I have coffee, and that is only 2 or 3 times a year.

Amethyst
Can't answer for AL, but I fix something sweet (usually with Stevia) about once a month. The rest of the time it doesn't even cross my mind.

I believe that carbs in general and sweets in particular are almost unique in the way that they stmulate cravings. I used to crave ice cream after work, and cookies or donuts or tortes on Saturday morning. Gone, and I doubt it can return if I do not return to eating that stuff.

You just have to keep at it long enough to break the back of the addiction.

Ha

Can't answer for AL, but I fix something sweet (usually with Stevia) about once a month. The rest of the time it doesn't even cross my mind.

I believe that carbs in general and sweets in particular are almost unique in the way that they stmulate cravings. I used to crave ice cream after work, and cookies or donuts or tortes on Saturday morning. Gone, and I doubt it can return if I do not return to eating that stuff.

You just have to keep at it long enough to break the back of the addiction.

Ha

Truly. I have to stay away from carbs for the most part. When visitor left, I sent much carbs home with him.

I started using 'Sensodyne' (or other brand toothpaste for sensitive teeth) about a week before I go for cleaning. Seems to help. I have a few sensitive spots on my teeth/gums.

-ERD50

Amethyst

Ha is right, but I have to have sweet stuff, so I use artificial sweeteners. I don't feel very deprived. Liquid sucralose (Splenda) and erythritol are my favorites. By combining them, I can reduce any aftertastes.

Sweet stuff I consume

Whipped cream (home made with ISI whipper)
Ice cream (home made)
Carbquik waffles with butter, Walden Farms "maple" syrup and whipped cream
A&W diet root beer
Chocolates (see below)

Chocoperfection chocolate bars are great, but very expensive. Here's how I make chocolates:

Chocolate Bar

4 unsweetened choc squares (e.g. Baker’s)
8 drops Liquid Splenda (EZSweetz or equiv)
1 tsp almond extract (or vanilla or orange)
3 tsp erythritol granular

Nuke choc squares for 1 minute, stirring occasionally..
Add Splenda
Nuke choc square/Splenda mix 1 more minute until melted.
Pour it onto waxed paper on a cookie sheet and spread it out until thin.

Nuke erythritol and extract until melted (about 40 seconds)
Pour the now-liquid erythritol/extract mix onto the chocolate
Distribute it with the back of a spoon so that it covers the chocolate evenly
Place in freezer for 30 minutes
Break into bite-sized pieces

------------

Choc. Chip Ice Cream

2 c Heavy whipping Cream
18 drops liquid splenda
.5 tsp Vanilla
1 square unsweetened chocolate, chopped

Put in ice-cream maker, run it.

Here's how I make chocolates:

Chocolate Bar

4 unsweetened choc squares (e.g. Baker’s)
8 drops Liquid Splenda (EZSweetz or equiv)
1 tsp almond extract (or vanilla or orange)
3 tsp erythritol granular

Nuke choc squares for 1 minute, stirring occasionally..
Add Splenda
Nuke choc square/Splenda mix 1 more minute until melted.
Pour it onto waxed paper on a cookie sheet and spread it out until thin.

Nuke erythritol and extract until melted (about 40 seconds)
Pour the now-liquid erythritol/extract mix onto the chocolate
Distribute it with the back of a spoon so that it covers the chocolate evenly
Place in freezer for 30 minutes
Break into bite-sized pieces
I also love chocolate, but I stop at step one-buy Baker's unsweetened chocolate, eat 1/2 section (1 small section) after dinner. Another good one for people who love unwseetened chocolate-it's mouth feel is very good!-Trader Josef's Unsweetened Baking Chocolate. Six discs give 2 gm net carbohydrates according to package, and 6 discs is a lot.

I also have my whipped cream without sweeteners. Yesterday my lunch included strawberries and whipped cream. My hostess had sweetened the whipped cream, and it's taste was actually shocking to me. She is respectful of my diet needs, so I just rinsed off the whipped cream and proceeded to eat my 2 large strawberries. :)

I believe it is possible for some people at least to come to dislike sweet tastes. This was certainly not my native condition, I deliberately moved myself toward this. I enjoy the unrelieved bitter taste.

Ha

Cleaning last Friday.
Gave up sugar years ago.
Still have enough buildup to need 6 months; was on 4 month schedule for several years.

My dentist tells me variation in buildup is genetic and I need cleaning every 6 months. Usually by about 5 months I can feel the plaque and know it`s time to make the appointment!

I have a standing 6 month hygiene appointment at my dentist. I get X-rays once a year. I figure that if I keep to a regular schedule and something goes wrong after hours, he is more likely to see me quickly if I am a regular.
I rarely eat sweets but when I do, I like things really, really sweet: baklava, pecan pie, dulce de leche ice cream, meringues, coconut macaroons, etc.

I have a standing 6 month hygiene appointment at my dentist. I get X-rays once a year. I figure that if I keep to a regular schedule and something goes wrong after hours, he is more likely to see me quickly if I am a regular.
I rarely eat sweets but when I do, I like things really, really sweet: baklava, pecan pie, dulce de leche ice cream, meringues, coconut macaroons, etc.

AaacK!!! You're not just kidding when you say "really, really sweet". Too much of those delicacies is very unappealing. Just a little, is heaven.

AaacK!!! You're not just kidding when you say "really, really sweet". Too much of those delicacies is very unappealing. Just a little, is heaven.

Oh, I didn't mean that I indulged in ALL these things at one fell swoop....I eat them separately every once in a great while.:LOL: And I almost forgot another fave...pralines! A good friend grew up in LA and she makes them at Christmas using her Nan's old recipe.

Thanks for the hints about artificially sweetened chocolate. I'll have to try it. I guess I should be glad I only crave chocolate, and not alcohol or drugs!

Amethyst

Speaking of x-rays, the hygienist said "You had x-rays in 2007, and we recommend every 5 to 7 years, so you can get them next year."

I'm in no rush to spend a lot of money to sit around painfully biting down on things that make you gag, so I said that perhaps I don't have to get them until 2014.

Am I being overly cheap or is that reasonable? I haven't had any dental problems for years.

Back
Top Bottom